Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Introducing the occasional bottle.

My baby is 5 months old and is EBF and I've never given her a bottle. But I need to take a first aid course as I'm going to be doing daycare and the course is in the evening for 3 days (one day a week) from 7 to 10. I usually get her ready for bed at 8 and she is in bed at 9 and she has a good feed before going down. Anyway, my husband is going to have to feed her and put her down. I don't know how to pump or give her a bottle. What kind of pump should I get? (I don't want to spend a lot), what kind of bottle? How do I clean it? when should I pump? She eats every 3 hours, usually both sides, and every 5 hours at night. How do I store the milk? How do I heat it up? How should I introduce the bottle? I'm thinking my husband should try feeding her a couple times before the night I'm gone. It won't turn her off of breastfeeding will it? Thanks for your help. Oh, and how do I know how much to give her?

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 04-16-2012 at 09:45 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Introducing the occasional bottle.

Both my boys took a bottle/breast interchangable. I would suggest a wide nipple bottle since those are most like the breast. I had the best luck with Playtex ventair or the dropins wide nipple and go with the slow flow.

~definatly have your DH give a couple practice bottles and you may have to leave the room

~since you are not going to be doing pumping long term I would probably go with an inexpensive hand pump. Or do you have a close friend that has an electric pump you could borrow

~I had the best luck pumping in the mornings after the first feeding. and After the last feeding at night.

~Any milk that isn't going to be used within a couple days I would freeze in 3oz packages

~I would have your DH start with 3 or 4 oz in the bottle.

~To clean the bottle/pump either run throught the dishwasher or wash with hot soapy water and let air dry completely before putting it together. I usually just left them on the counter on a drying rack until I was ready to use them.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post
Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
GreenDahlia
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you looked at Kellymom? Very helpful information about all the questions you had. I started with the Dr. Browns preemie flow, and they work great. My DD also has no problem taking the BornFree bottles with level one nipples. I just throw them in the dishwasher. Good luck!
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
~Mae West
GreenDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDahlia View Post
Have you looked at Kellymom? Very helpful information about all the questions you had. I started with the Dr. Browns preemie flow, and they work great. My DD also has no problem taking the BornFree bottles with level one nipples. I just throw them in the dishwasher. Good luck!
Thank you!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote