Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
chelsea111390
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Errands with newborn! Advice?

Tomorrow I plan to run errands for the first time since my baby was born. My main concern is how will I bring him with me to the post office. I have 2 small packages to carry... So should I bring the carseat in with me? Or hook it onto the stroller? Or just attempt to carry him in my arms with the packages?

How do you run errands at small places like the post office with a newborn?

Advertisement

chelsea111390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
KdEMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Errands with newborn! Advice?

Would the small packages fit in a bag? If so, I'd bag then, hang the bag on my arm and then bring the carrier in with me. Unless you don't like to set the carrier on the floor. My local post office is pretty clean.
KdEMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Put the packages in a grocery bag and tote the baby either in your arms or in the car seat. I used the seat or seat/stroller method as I could never pay one handed for some reason.
Don't beat yourself up if you don't get all your errands done. My oldest never let me make more than two stops, on the third he'd have a melt down, even as a newborn.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have anything you can wear him with? Like a Moby Wrap or anything like that. I wore my son everywhere, it was way more comfortable (car seats are heavy and awkward) and I could be hands free if I was checking out at a store, mailing a package, etc. Plus it kept my guy calm and he was always super relaxed while we shopped or ran errands, and often even slept.

If you don't have one for tomorrow's trip, I'd definitely get one. Check out the babywearing subforum here for more tips and ideas, and to see which one you might like.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:

I would invest in a baby carrier (Beco Butterfly2, Gemini or a ringsling) I have 3 littles and that is the only way I travel. I have used our stroller maybe 4 times its just to much of a hassel for getting it in and out. I have to hold my two olders hands so wearing the baby is the only way to do it all. Our bucket carseat never leaves the car.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I recommend a sling or other baby carrier

if you don't have one, then I'd put the packages in a bag and carry the baby in the carrier. Or take a stroller inside.

My LO was born just a couple months before Christmas and hubby deployed, I got very creative about how to take packages to the post office with her in tow. The easiest was definitely the baby sling or front carrier. If you don't have one yet - I highly recommend one. I had to stick her in the moby wrap just to pee sometimes
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

I third the carrier. Right now I carry my 6 week old in a wrap, but I'll be getting some more types of carriers (ring sling, mei tai, ergo...) it's so much faster and easier than the stroller!
NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

another that would recommend a carrier or put the car seat in a stroller. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Eh, moby and two packages. But honestly? If it were me. Car seat. Carry one package at a time. Do self serve machine. It's take me, Max-10 minutes. Lol
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Moby or something here too. I took the seat/carrier everywhere with my first and ended up with shoulder issues! My second I wore a lot and like others said, she was always so content. We're having a third and I think we might skip the infant snap-in seat this time because I so preferred wearing baby and the seat is so bulky and heavy.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote