Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

"big kid poop"

At what age should bms start to become more solid? Starting to gear up for potty training next month. She will be 20.5 months. She's already showed interest in the potty sits on hers when i sitbon mine. pretend wipes (tp with a diaper or clothes on) and flushes for me, but I want to wait until after our vacation to really start.

But I've been thinking her poop really hasn't became solid its still all mush. Not sure if its diet related (drinks a lot of milk 35+ ounces a day.) Otherwise its pretty balanced diet (limited veggies, doesn't seem to enjoy those except raw carrots.)

Could it be possible that she may have a sensitivity to a common food? I remember my oldests around this age being more solid formed than mushy.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: "big kid poop"

Thats a lot of milk. Is it like peanut butter consistancy or still like runny infant poo? ok finsih my thought here lol I was thinking if its runny it may be b/c she's so full from the milk to eat enough solids. But on the other hand I would think that much milk would make her consipated....but if she's to full to eat much then it would even out kwim? Or maybe her little tummy cant handle so much milk and that's causing runny stools.....Ok that was scrambled. Maybe what I should ask is what kind of milk is she drinking?

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 04-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

2% organic milk. It might not be quite 35 ounces. Her cups are 7 ounces, and she has 5 a day. They are not always completely empty when I wash them out. That does make sense milk to solids. She eats a fair amount (more than my 6yo) but recently it seems she isn't eating quite as much (esp dinner time) maybe I'll try cutting back an ounce or two from her cup.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

And closer to peanut butter, but perhaps mildly thinner.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

She should be getting most of her calories/nutrients from food now so I think decreasing her milk is a good idea. Most toddlers only need 16-24oz of whole milk a day. If her poo is only slighty thinner then pb then I dont think there should be a problem pting her. That's awesome she sits on it and 'wipes'! Good luck!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think it's too much milk, personally. They fill with that and don't eat as much solid food. But whether you limit it or not is up to you. My DD gets mostly water during the day as I've noticed she eats better at mealtimes.

But... Runny poop could also just be teething poop. The excess saliva has to go somewhere and in older children, it's usually swallowed instead of drooled.

I wouldn't worry about poop consistency for potty training. If its wetter, it comes out easier *shrug*
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
I agree with the milk.. I thought Asher had a lot of milk. I'd limit to 4 cups if I were you.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd cut back on the milk, too. Our Ped recommended no more than 24 oz of milk (any kind of milk - cow, rice, almond) per day for our 2 year old. Also, cow milk can be irritating to the stomach, resulting in more mucous production, which will cause looser stools.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have much advice but can relate. My DS is almost 4 and still has peanut butter poo. He is not potty trained. His pediatrician related it most likely to something in his diet. I think he may be sensitive to dairy but we have not cut it out completely. He doesn't drink a whole lot of milk, but cheese and yogurt are some of the primary foods in his pretty limited diet. I'm going to try to cut back at least though. Good luck figuring out what's going on with your LO and good luck with PTing too!

Last edited by justineybean; 04-18-2012 at 02:27 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
kej
Registered Users
seller

Someone just posted a link to an article by a pediatric urologist in the Potty section, and in this article he states that softer poo is better for potty training, as there is less chance of constipation. Check it out.