Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Toddler shoes

What's up with toddler (age 1+) shoes? I've read good shoes are ideal for heathy foot development. What are you using? The brand name $40 ones or the target $17? I've bought 1 pair of $30 shoes and when he outgrew them I bought another $30 pair (maybe they were on sale). Now that he's outgrowing these, I'm curious what other mamas do. My reasoning was theyre "expensive" but he's just using this one pair all the time.

Advertisement

DreamInGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler shoes

We use target...

With my oldest his first pair was expensive stride rites

We don't do hard sole shoes until almost two...we are barefoot or soft sole before that
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I also used the soft leather shoes at Target.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

We do exclusively barefoot at home & so far, at 18mos, the twins have done either soft leather (Robeez style) or Crocs. My oldest was different. She walked early, then wanted to walk everywhere. With pretty harsh weather, she needed "real" shoes. We're cheap, though, so it was a mix of Target shoes, Crocs every summer, & Land's End shoes & boots that we bought on closeout. One of the twins has some orthopedic needs, so I try to be sensitive to whatever will give her the most fexibility & strongest muscles, which is barefoot or as close to it as possible.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

I just look for super flexible soles. Leather when just beginning to walk (like robeez, but I make my own), then something that is like stride rite flexible soles, but I just buy them at either Target or Ross. At Ross I can usually find stride rite for $20 or Carters/Oshkosh for $15. My toddler currently prefers to walk EVERYWHERE barefoot fine in our yard except sometimes I find glass in the front (ppl throwing glass bottles out of their car!) And we have lots of fire ant hills pop up in the summer.
Expecting #4 August 2015

Last edited by bellx1; 06-10-2015 at 07:17 PM.
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

I always got the cheap shoes for my boys. Never a problem.
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #7
kanga1622
Registered Users

We buy all our kid shoes at Stride Rite. It makes me cry to spend that much when they both need shoes at the same time but DH and I both ended up with podiatrist visits as a kids. We decided to put the money into good quality shoes (and we LOVE the customer service at our local Stride Rite).

We do put money aside every month to cover the BIG kid expenses (back to school time, new shoes, etc.). We can find winter coats, clothes, and toys super cheap at garage sales or thrift stores and just bankroll those smaller amounts.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I buy my kids expensive shoes. The little girls wear Stride Rite because they both have very wide feet. I have more options with my 8yo, and he likes Keens and Merrells, and any good brand of sneaker for school. He still really likes Stride Rite sneakers, but they sell out of the bigger sizes before they go on clearance, usually.

I figure I save money everywhere else, and I get their clothes super cheap used or on clearance, so I justify good shoes because feet are important.

We have tried cheaper brands on occasion, but they always have issues of some sort, or they fall apart quickly.

It doesn't help right now, but Stride Rite had some amazing Black Friday and Christmas sales online and I stocked up on shoes for my girls, and even got my boy a pair of boots, all for $20 or less per pair. They have free shipping as long as you are a member of their free rewards program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

At first, I use soft sole shoes. Then I usually transition to a Stride Rite. Once they outgrow those I mix it up. I get inexpensive shoes for the backyard/chores.

But I usually have one good quality pair as the primary pair. They have Soft Star boots in the winter and usually a spring pair. Keen in the summer.

I'm trying Tukioshi sneakers at the moment and I'm pleased with how they are wearing. They seems so light and flimsy at first but they look good as new and they've been wearing them everyday. I got them on super sale though.

As the get older I mix it up. I look for a good structured show. I just found a Payless sports sandal for my middle that was way better constructed than the New Balance one I was considering elsewhere.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With the no soft soles you want to make sure they bend right. Cheaper shoes often bend in the middle instead of at the toe.