Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Skatha89
Registered Users

Infant Seats

I'm sure this has been covered but I want to ask:

I'm due in Nov with Bean #2, and will have at that time a 23 month old DS. I have a bad shoulder, but still baby wear, and plan to use an Ergo. Is an infant carrier needed? My DS was 10lbs at birth and I'm expecting the same with this bean.

We'd get a Britax Convertible Seat for Bean #2 if an infant carrier isn't truly needed.

Opinions?

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infant Seats

You don't need an infant seat. I personally HATE most of them out there. With my DS I brought him home in a convertible. Now I didn't bring him home in a "good" convertible but live and learn.

I don't like infant seats because I don't believe in seat rebounding being a good thing. There are only a handful of seats (3 I believe) that don't have that. I am actually looking at them because I think next time around I will need one as convertible seats are harder to fit on airplanes and I plan to travel with my little one before they are 6 months of age.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 04-17-2012 at 05:23 PM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You definitely don't need one, you can do without even though there are some times where they are nice to have. I babywear too but sometimes I don't want to have to worry about wrapping them up if I'm just running in somewhere for a min.
I had debated about just getting a Coccoro from the start but then decided to just get the Cybex Aton to get me through the first few months and then we'll switch to a convertible.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
You don't need an infant seat. I personally HATE most of them out there. With my DS I brought him home in a convertible. Now I didn't bring him home in a "good" convertible but live and learn.

I don't like infant seats because I don't believe in seat rebounding being a good thing. There are only a handful of seats (3 I believe) that don't have that. I am actually looking at them because I think next time around I will need one as convertible seats are harder to fit on airplanes and I plan to travel with my little one before they are 6 months of age.

Good luck!
Why don't you think rebounding is good???
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Kelbel81906
Registered Users
seller

An infant is not necessary, it's a convenience seat. I personally would not be able to survive without ours because I've got 3 little ones 4 and under and I have to be able to put my 5 month old in the infant seat in the car and all go out together. It's also easy for getting in and out of any place in public. I usually put him in the carrier once we're in the store and out of the danger of the parking lot. I have a Chicco Keyfit30 and it's the only infant seat I recommend as a CPST. It's SO easy to use and fits in almost any vehicle.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
For a winter baby, I'd get one. I'd also get the Chicco though. For me, they are necessary. Being able to set baby down while dealing with the 2 year old is huge. Putting a newbie in a freezing cold seat sucks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I'd get one for a winter baby too - we actually ended up getting one for this baby but ONLY because it was a really, really good sale (50% off any one regular price item in the store) and dp wanted it - for the price I couldn't turn him down though I will probably never take the beast out of the car (if he wants to he is welcome to). Ours is a VIA one that we can hopefully get one or two winters out of (dd was out of her 22lb weight limit seat before 6 months).

Last edited by moonlightblonde; 04-18-2012 at 07:12 AM.
moonlightblonde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
Why don't you think rebounding is good???
I don't like how it bounces back to the seat. To me that doesn't look safe and could actually put the child in more danger. However I also have fears of the seat coming detached from the base in general so my fears are bigger then just rebounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
I'd get one for a winter baby too - we actually ended up getting one for this baby but ONLY because it was a really, really good sale (50% off any one regular price item in the store) and dp wanted it - for the price I couldn't turn him down though I will probably never take the beast out of the car (if he wants to he is welcome to). Ours is a VIA one that we can hopefully get one or two winters out of (dd was out of her 22lb weight limit seat before 6 months).
Do you plan on putting your Via in a stroller? This is the carseat I am liking the most that is an infant seat and I don't really like the strollers that First years sells. I am hoping it will fit in a Graco Quattro (or whatever it is called) if I can find one without a carseat attached to it. I have a year to find it though.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs
I don't like how it bounces back to the seat. To me that doesn't look safe and could actually put the child in more danger. However I also have fears of the seat coming detached from the base in general so my fears are bigger then just rebounding.
"Doesn't look safe" is absolutely no reason to claim that rebounding would put the child in more danger. Rebounding takes the crash forces away from the child which is safer for the child. If rebounding was dangerous then seats wouldn't be made to rebound.