Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:
walking/running on toes?

I'm probably concerned about nothing but everything I've googled has kind of scared me so far so I just wanted to hear what you all had to say.

My 18 month old has recently started walking and running on her toes a lot. Not ALL the time but a lot. It looks kind of cute and she mostly does it when she's excited but its often. Should I be worried? She's been walking since 14 months and just started really running. Her development has been normal so far...she is very social and attached to us and she talks a ton. The only other thing about her that I've been concerned about is her concern about touching "yucky" things...she hates having ANYTHING on her hands like crumbs from a cookie or tomato sauce from pasta or any little stray string or fuzz makes her upset. I'm sure the sand at the beach this summer will be a nightmare for her poor kid

Should I call the pediatrician or just assumer she'll outgrow both these things?

Advertisement

loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: walking/running on toes?

We had to see a podiatrist(sp?) because ds was walking only on one toe and they said that, although it's not as common, toe walking in any form is normal up to about 3 years old.

DS is the same way about his hands being dirty too, and if I remember correctly DD got that way too around 1 or 1/2 (she still is at 4 1/2), so I wouldn't worry too much.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have a toe walker.

She is 18months and has been toe walking since she began walking at 11.5months.

That being said, she has had a sensory evaluation because she is in speech therapy. Generally, you could probably google sensory evaluation and come up with the extensive list of questions they asked us about her. She does have some 'yes', but they're all within the normal range and was determined not to have any abnormal sensory issues.

For an otherwise normal child who just started running on her toes, I'd expect it to be no big deal.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

DS was the same way about yucky things on his hands when he was ~15-18 months old, he totally outgrew it. Some days I wish he hadn't.

He also went through a phase where he walked on his toes a lot - he's outgrown that, as well.

If you are concerned, though, I would mention it at her next check up.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh... Also just remembered something.

I've read in a potty training book that when they start getting upset about messy hands, etc, it's a sign of impending readiness. They need to have a desire to be clean and to notice things like that.

Doesn't mean she's ready or not. Just one of the signs that she's getting ready. Very common at this age.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
swingkid1975
Registered Users

I'd say both are normal.

My DD was about the same age as yours last summer and she didn't like messiness either. At the beach she'd pick one foot up and dust it off and put it down and pick up the other foot and dust it off and put that foot down and dust off the original foot etc. She was so confused as to why her feet kept getting sandy since she kept wiping them. That lasted all of about 10 min or so and she was fine after that.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
OnAnnaTime
Registered Users

Sounds normal, as long as she does have the ability to walk on the soles of her feet as well. If she's ONLY ever walked on her toes, that could be a sign that the tendons or muscles in her legs aren't stretching properly to let her walk on the soles. But it doesn't sound like that's the case! DS is a toe walker/runner/dancer but he started that well after he was walking flat.