Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Early arrivals/twin mamas/anybody!! crib to bed help!

Posted this here in hopes that both the preemie mamas and moms of multiples could help me out here, along with any others too!

I have twin boys who were born 6 weeks early but are now 22 months. They are not really behind in anything, but they are. We had them tested at the early intervention for speech and occupational therapy and they we're behind in their actual age, but ahead of their adjusted age...so really pretty normal if you average it out. Well, I KNOW they are not ready for a toddler bed but they will not stay put in a crib! They have had their own crib but recently we moved them into the same crib because we didn't have room for both cribs anymore. They aren't bothered by sleeping together as they have slept next to each other their whole life. They learned how to climb out around 17 months of age and so we bought sleep sacks. That kept them from being able to hike their leg over the crib. Then they found out how to unzip the sleep sacks so we turned the sacks inside out so the zipper can only be undone by me reaching my hand down into their clothes and unzipping it. Now this week they have figured out they can just wriggle their whole body through the neck hole! These boys are bound and determined to find ways out of the crib.

About a month back, when we took away one crib, it was because we bought bunk beds. They share a tiny apartment room with their 4 yo sister and I figured this way she could have her own space as surely they couldn't climb a ladder. The day we put the bunk bed together, they mastered going up the ladder, but sometimes have trouble coming down. This terrifies me! I don't even let them play in their room unless I am in there. I left one crib up so I could use it for the new baby, but the boys have been sleeping in it because like I said, I am scared they will wake up in the middle of the night and try to climb into sisters bed.

They also loooove to roam the house. I have a child lock on their bedroom door. It was on the outside so they couldn't go in and climb the ladder without me noticing, but now it is on the inside because they are climbing out of the crib again and I don't want them running free in the house while I am sleeping. Keeping them contained in the bedroom is better than them finding the front door or the bathroom and getting out or drowning.

My next move is to either buy a huge cage to put them in (LOL!) or move them to a toddler bed before they are ready to take on the responsibilities of being a "big boy". I don't actually plan on getting a toddler bed, but I plan on taking the bunk beds down and using them as two twin beds (one for sister, one for them) which is going to take up probably half the room and will give them access to the light switch.. (yay me). I also am trying to get rid of the bunk bed and buying a trundle bed (or I could store one twin bed and get a trundle for underneath it) but this will take some time.

Any advice or suggestions or anything?!?!?! HELP! Do you think I should try to get a smaller sleep sack so that the neck hole isn't too big? Should I buy a crib tent? Has anyone ever had a toddler escape from the tent? Move them to a bed? Chain 'em to the wall?!? Lol.

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Early arrivals/twin mamas/anybody!! crib to bed help!

If it were me, I would try the crib tent first and if that didn't work i would put a mattress on the floor and try that out. But take my advice with a grain of salt...my quads are a few months shy of 3 and they don't climb out of their cribs and I am still not ready to move them to toddler beds for the whole roaming around the house in the middle of the night problem
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

I'd go to two toddler beds and get rid of that bunk bed. Given how my son is, we can't be near a ladder with him not trying to scale it so no way would I leave him in a room alone with one. Crib tents have been known to have some serious concerns so I would not do it. I love sleep sacks but either they want to wear them or not. My kid just started taking his off so we decided he was done with them. The bed transition was not a big deal for us like others made it out to sound and I wish I did it sooner.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
CaylaEP
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could you turn the crib around so the shorter end is against the wall and the back higher ends faces out? A friend of mine did this and her daughter gave up trying to get out. You would only have to worry about them trying to climb that high end (assuming your crib has a higher back side) and falling out or getting stuck. Maybe you could put a mattress underneath..
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaylaEP
Could you turn the crib around so the shorter end is against the wall and the back higher ends faces out? A friend of mine did this and her daughter gave up trying to get out. You would only have to worry about them trying to climb that high end (assuming your crib has a higher back side) and falling out or getting stuck. Maybe you could put a mattress underneath..
We have a cheapy crib where all ends are the same height. So turning it any way would not matter. I did make a joke with my hubby the other day about taking a side of the other crib and screwing it in on the top...lol.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

I moved my twins out of their cribs at about 22 months. We moved them out more because we were moving to the US and knew we had a period of a few months ahead of us of living in apartments renting furniture etc, and I didnt want them sleeping in pack and plays.

Anyway they were great, we had very low to the ground toddler beds so if they did fall out they couldnt hurt themselves. For a good few weeks they spent 10 mins or so every night running in and out of their beds into each others, and we would go in to find them sleeping in odd places, but it was no big deal.

We put a baby gate on their door so they could open the door but not come out. When we moved they slept on a double mattress on the floor, and now are in a double bed. We bought an ikea base and its only 1 foot or so off the floor. At nearly 3 I still keep the baby gate on their door.

i would just bite the bullet and put them in big beds, you have to do it at some point, so may as well be now while you are having issues. All that will change is that the issue you are having will change!
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I would probably go ahead and move them into big beds. You could always put the mattresses on the floor instead of on a frame if that helps with space or climbing, etc.

And I thought about putting a child lock on our LO's door, too, but decided against it for safety reasons. We opted for a baby gate instead and that worked great.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall
I would probably go ahead and move them into big beds. You could always put the mattresses on the floor instead of on a frame if that helps with space or climbing, etc.

And I thought about putting a child lock on our LO's door, too, but decided against it for safety reasons. We opted for a baby gate instead and that worked great.
Yeah, I don't really like the idea either of putting a child lock on the door, but I will have to do it. My twins can climb over those cheapy evenflo gates and can almost climb over out huge extra tall gate that has an actual door/gate on it that we use to keep them out of the kitchen. So I would be afraid the gate wouldn't work but it would keep my dd locked in because she can't climb it. So I like the idea of locks because she can open the door if she has to use the bathroom, but the boys can't.

I guess I will try to put them in the bunk beds (taken down as two twins). The bed that goes on top has a side rail like a toddler bed so we will probably just put them in that one. And then we can figure out how much room we actually have and if we can St it to fit two twin beds. Lol. We live in an apartment that was built for older handicapped people and there are light switches in all the rooms that go to a bell on the front porch (like a school bell) and I'm afraid the twin beds will have to be placed near it to give them the height needed to peel the duct tape off and ring said bell. Lol. Or it will have to go by the light switch...either way, not fun!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

Get some type of plastic or wood box and completely cover up the door bell. You could get an electrical outlet cover, screw it in the wall and use the cover on top of that.

I would not lock a child in the room for safety reasons. I'd get a higher gate or do nanny style back to bed (a million times or in your case since you have two, two million times).
Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would just put mattresses on the floor to start with honestly. Take everything out of the room that you can.