Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #101
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Re: Help with Ameda pump and increasing supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetb View Post
little example of how you 'flip' the shield to get it on:
to keep in place, use lanolin on the back flat part, works quiet well.

If it is well sealed, as he sucks the nipple will 'fill up' the shield better and move within it a bit like with the pump.
Thank you! I'll try this

Advertisement

Lizmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #102
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmarie View Post
On average, I'm pumping every two hours - but with all of his doctors appointment that schedule regularly gets screwe up I have been hand expressing afterwards, ever since I noticed I was still going through nursing pads like crazy right after pumping but couldn't get any more with the pump. I don't get a huge volume, but definitely enough to make it worthwhile.

Right now I've been taking the more milk plus special blend (because of the goat's rue) and the dosage is 1 capsule 4x a day (or 2 caps 4x a day if you're over 175). I'm not over 175 but I've been bouncing between 1-2 caps 4x a day to see if the increase helped at all. I've also been getting an average of 4 cups of mother's milk tea in a day.

I'll look at ordering the dom again, I'm just scared to order something that I have to dose myself and "hope" that I'm getting it right I guess.
I'd start with 1 pill 3x per day with the dom. Then gradually go up from there.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #103
lilmomma83
Registered Users

How are things going now?
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #104
Lizmarie
Registered Users

He's been refusing bottles and latching quite a bit recently due to his reflux. I had a follow up with one of the doctors yesterday and they ended up re-doing his pyloric stenosis study, as well as a renal ultrasound, and abdominal xray looking for kidney stones or abdominal issues... All of that was negative so they're going to do an upper GI early next week and they're talking about "banding" his stomach because his reflux is so bad. But, we do have an appointment with an ENT to hopefully address the possible posterior tongue tie issue on Friday. I'm hopeful that we'll get somewhere there because not latching him is continuing to drop my supply and I don't think we can hold out just pumping much longer the way things are going.

I tried the nipple shields the other day when I latched him to clear that plugged duct and I just cannot get them to stay put! I tried the lanolin, and they just fell right off still, so Idk if they're just the wrong shape for me or if it's still user error! I'm going to keep working with him the few times that I can latch him, but between the refusing feeds at all, and having to concentrate his feeds, he's latching even less now than he was before :/ Hopefully this ENT appointment tomorrow will get us somewhere!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #105
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Please let us know how it goes! One of my girlfriends is using nipple shields, and she had to try a couple different brands before finding one that fit her.

I feel you on all the testing etc. it is so stressful not knowing why a baby isn't gaining, and likely it is several issues going on. Hopefully you will start getting more answers and things will get better.

I know in our case every time one thing is fixed something else is uncovered, but, each time things get a little better and she IS gaining now (even if extremly slow) which is the most important thing at the moment.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #106
adahappy
Registered Users

Thank you , I'll try too
adahappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #107
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Re: *Posterior tongue ties do not exist....* Help with Ameda pump and increasing supp

So, we had our visit with the ENT today - and I was flat out told that posterior tongue ties do not exist. He went on to say that my pediatricians medical license should be pulled if she thinks that there is such a thing. That "we don't call a tongue tie an anterior tie because there IS NO posterior....it's just a tongue tie" also that I should just be feeding my LO a bottle and that it's my fault that he's having issues breastfeeding, I must be doing something wrong. If I'm too stupid to figure it out, I should have started a bottle long ago.

I have never in my life seen a doctor this ridiculous. I know that they exist, I just don't know how to get his revised when no one else believe that they even exist. I have never had an appointment that was that short! It was literally a five minute appointment, he didn't even sit down, he just basically said they don't exist, your baby can move his tongue, have a nice day.

ARGH! At this point, we're going to be going to strictly formula. My supply has dropped to the point that I can't even get an oz per pumping session...between not being able to latch him, and the plugged ducts, it's just dwindling to nothing. I have tried every supplement OTHER than dom, but what's the point in ordering that when I'm never going to be able to latch him regularly and by the time it gets here anyway, I won't have a supply left to boost.

Good luck to anyone else going through this, hopefully you'll have better doctors and LCs than I've had.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #108
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: *Posterior tongue ties do not exist....* Help with Ameda pump and increasing supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmarie View Post
So, we had our visit with the ENT today - and I was flat out told that posterior tongue ties do not exist. He went on to say that my pediatricians medical license should be pulled if she thinks that there is such a thing. That "we don't call a tongue tie an anterior tie because there IS NO posterior....it's just a tongue tie" also that I should just be feeding my LO a bottle and that it's my fault that he's having issues breastfeeding, I must be doing something wrong. If I'm too stupid to figure it out, I should have started a bottle long ago.

I have never in my life seen a doctor this ridiculous. I know that they exist, I just don't know how to get his revised when no one else believe that they even exist. I have never had an appointment that was that short! It was literally a five minute appointment, he didn't even sit down, he just basically said they don't exist, your baby can move his tongue, have a nice day.

ARGH! At this point, we're going to be going to strictly formula. My supply has dropped to the point that I can't even get an oz per pumping session...between not being able to latch him, and the plugged ducts, it's just dwindling to nothing. I have tried every supplement OTHER than dom, but what's the point in ordering that when I'm never going to be able to latch him regularly and by the time it gets here anyway, I won't have a supply left to boost.

Good luck to anyone else going through this, hopefully you'll have better doctors and LCs than I've had.
What an idiot doctor. Is there any way you can find another one to try? I did a quick google search and found this:

Quote:
Even if a mother is bottle-feeding, she should still have her child’s tongue-tie treated. Unclipped tongue-tie can lead to several health problems in childhood and adulthood such as reflux, speech impediments, snoring, sleep apnea, dental problems and indigestion. While tongue-tied babies can often bottle-feed without issue, some will still be unable to feed effectively without a frenotomy.
http://suite101.com/article/diagnosing-tonguetie-in-a-breastfed-baby-a78730

mama. I know you tried everything possible to make it work. I hope you are able to have an easy, successful nursing relationship with a future baby.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #109
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb1961 View Post
What an idiot doctor. Is there any way you can find another one to try? I did a quick google search and found this:

I wish we could, but with our insurance we need a referral, and it took convincing/begging just to get this one from the pediatrician

http://suite101.com/article/diagnosi...ed-baby-a78730

mama. I know you tried everything possible to make it work. I hope you are able to have an easy, successful nursing relationship with a future baby.
Yeah, I've read that too....in fact, that's part of what made me continue to pursue the tongue tie path, because we are battling severe reflux now, and it's not responding to meds! They're talking now about "banding" his stomach for god's sake. While I do think that he does have severe traditional reflux, I thought that the tongue tie being revised might at least help the situation. I didn't expect it to resolve it, but I figured anything would help because I DON'T want to put my LO through a surgery like that.

I'm just so appalled at the doctor's attitude. I expected it to be a battle to get it revised, because like my ped said most ENT's don't believe that tongue ties really cause issues if the LO can move their tongue at all......but to flat out tell me that it doesn't exist?1?! I was NOT expecting that.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #110
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmarie

Wow!! He's um.. Stupid!! He gave completely wrong info, tried to make you feel bad by placing the blame on you. If he had any ideas what you've been going through trying to breastfeed. Is there another ENT around? It doesn't have to be a pediatric ENT. I would call and ask the receptionist if they have experience clipping frenulums/tongue ties before even making an appointment.

Do you have the funds for Dom? What about renting a hospital grade pump? Hygeia rents them for $25 a month and you buy your own kit ($40).

I honestly do not think it's too late for you to get your supply up. It may involve pumping and some hand expression but you absolutely can do it. Are you up to it at this point? I'm not trying to push you if it's not what you want. Ultimately you have to be comfortable with your decision and I'll support whatever decision that is.

If you want to increase your supply, clip the tongue tie, get baby on the breast, I'm here to help and offer advice and encouragement.

If you only want to formula feed I completely understand that too