Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #211
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help with Ameda pump/posterior TT, etc. ***New update**

The only thing I can think of as far as the popping off after a short time - if he is happy through the let down and then upset when the flows slows you could use a supplementer (like SNS) with pumped breast milk in it to keep the flow constant hoping that he would then get used to staying on longer past the initial let down.

Wait one other thing. I don't remember if you have tried a nipple shield. My son was just convinced (from his tongue tied experience) that he was absolutely positively not going to get any milk out of he latched onto skin, but if I used the nipple shield he would try because it was plastic like a bottle I guess. Then I actually had to use both the nipple shield and the SNS going into it until he calmed down about it and realized he would get milk.

As far as the pump not emptying you, that is really a bummer. The Symphony for me just blew away the other pumps I have used. It sounds to me like if you are massaging etc while pumping and then can get the same amount out with hand expression after that the pump is really not doing much; you are doing it yourself either way. I just can not figure that out. But, I have heard that some women's bodies just really don't respond to pumps well at all. Especially if you are still struggling with plugged ducts than something screwy is going on because you are not getting emptied at all... I am stumped on that one.

eta: oh something that helped me was looking at pictures of baby on my cell phone while pumping

Advertisement

Last edited by sunnymommy; 06-30-2012 at 03:39 PM.
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #212
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Your right.....the pump just isn't really doing anything. I actually had to go back to m Ameda for the day the other day because I had to pump in the car to make a trip down to my sisters....and I got just as much with that as I do with the symphony and it was more comfortable....but it still didn't empty me in the least. I know there's more than an oz there, but I just can't utilize it while pumping apparently. And with LO not latching it's just causing more problems. I think if we hadn't had the TT issue to begin with we'd be fine, and I just wouldn't be pumping, but at least he would likely be getting enough. I'll try the pics of the LO on my phone, next time I'm away from him while pumping, but he's usually sitting right next to me

Unfortunately I don't have the time to learn to use an SNS, and I can't stop using bottles because I go back to work in a week. My supply is going up but it seems to just be topping out at an oz-oz and a half per pumping session (this is for both sides combined) no matter how often I do or don't pump. If I go longer between sessions, this is still all I get, if I pump every hour same thing. I cannot pump every hour however, and I will only be able to pump once during my 8 hour shift because of the lack of work breaks with the type of work I do.

I'm glad that we got his TT resolved because it does seem to have helped his reflux some, but I honestly don't think he's going to latch again. He's refusing to latch at all at this point, so I'm not sure what we're going to do. I've also had plugged ducts nonstop since starting the domperidone and trying to up my supply again. I hate to say it since I just went through all of this, but we may just be weaning at this point. Between the pediatrician not being supportive, my husband supporting me as much as he can while being exhausted with this process, and having to go back to a work schedule that has me working all different hours and little to no opportunity to pump (and certainly not for the 45 minutes I need just to get that oz out) this may just not work out for us. I'm going to keep trying through the week, but I'm going to have to make a decision on what to do sometime next week since I start back to work the week after. I'm afraid to keep going with the plugged ducts and not being able to pump regularly while working... I don't want to end up with mastitis.
Lizmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #213
havenlilianna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so sorry that this is where you are ending up. It really sucks that you have to go back to work, and don't really have an employer who will work with you for pumping (I know they should, but I know how useless it can be, and pointless to argue, since in most states can just fire you if they choose to). I'm happy babes mouth got fixed, and that he keeps growing like he needs to. *hugs* mama. Full ducts that baby won't/can't empty suck, and you need to get that taken care of so you don't end up in more pain or with mastitis. Cabbage leaves are your friends.
havenlilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #214
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Well you know the best decision for your family....follow your heart...whatever that means.

If you want to try and continue I really think Avent massage petals well help. I also think you can get him back to the breast...but I would try to do it when neither of you are stressed...maybe when he's partially asleep or of you take a bath together. I would start with skin to skin bottle feeding and go from there.

I never pumped at work after 4 months with DS1...my supply just adjusted. He got formula during the day and breast milk at night (he nursed at night and weekends). I know that would be tougher with crazy shifts though.

You have worked so hard, while I have no doubt you can continue, of stopping is the best thing for you and your family than stop....the only one who can make that decision is you. Hugs to you!
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #215
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long have you been on domperidone now? I found I felt very full, but couldn't empty the first few days! It was bizarre! Are you taking the blessed thistle still? It helps with letdowns which could be useful for this situation. Do you have better luck after a shower with warm water? That can help get everythign flowing sometimes.

You're a trooper lady!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #216
Lizmarie
Registered Users

A week and a half....and the first few days I was empty "ok" I was getting an oz out from both sides combined and I didn't feel "empty" but I didn't feel full either...now I'm staying painfully engorged and NOTHING is helping unless I sit there and just squeeze my breast until it's physically painful and I can get a couple of drops....nothing by normal hand expression, nothing by either pump (although I turned the symphony back it because it never worked any better for me than the ameda and I can't afford 65 a month for it), and LO refuses to latch at all at this point. I was taking the dom by itself, and was getting the oz so added back in the more milk plus spec blend which has blessed thistle in it with other things, and now I can't get anything. I haven't taken either over the last 48 hours and I'm still painfully engorged and it got worse over the last 24 hours. I've spent quite a bit of time in the hot shower, and even w/ LO in the bath hoping I could get him to latch and help things out.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #217
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83 View Post
Well you know the best decision for your family....follow your heart...whatever that means.

If you want to try and continue I really think Avent massage petals well help. I also think you can get him back to the breast...but I would try to do it when neither of you are stressed...maybe when he's partially asleep or of you take a bath together. I would start with skin to skin bottle feeding and go from there.

I never pumped at work after 4 months with DS1...my supply just adjusted. He got formula during the day and breast milk at night (he nursed at night and weekends). I know that would be tougher with crazy shifts though.

You have worked so hard, while I have no doubt you can continue, of stopping is the best thing for you and your family than stop....the only one who can make that decision is you. Hugs to you!

I don't honestly know the best decision for my family at this point. I want this to work and I hate that I'm quitting, but this is taking so much time away from actually enjoying spending time with my son and my husband because I spend every waking hour worried about pumping often enough or the fact that I can't get him to latch and whether we're feeding the bottle too quickly and that's causing more problems or whether he's getting enough to eat or not that it's just plain exhausting. If I could figure out how to get him to latch and bottle feed during the day with formula that would be my ideal, but I haven't a clue how to make that happen.

And right now I'm in so much pain that I don't know what to do. I'm figuring at this point since it's been 48 hours that I haven't been able to drain anything I'm probably going to need to make a drs appointment because I would assume mastitis can't be far off? It sucks though, I'm finally producing *something* and I can't make use of it!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #218
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Its such an awful irony. I feel for you...its so hard! I wish I could advise you what to do, but, I can't...its just not a decision anyone else can make for you. I can't remember if I shared this with you already, but, I chose to stop with my middle son. it was the best decision for us...though I'll admit I still get teary thinking about it..I would have loved to have nursed him...i've even let him try at 3yo..but he can't figure it out. Sorry of I already gave this link, but here is our story (the very brief version): http://birthboobsandbabes.wordpress....ng-is-perfect/

Big hugs to you... Like others said, cabbage leaves can help with engorgement, you might not get mastitis, though if you think you are getting it certainly get it treated! Man I wish I could just fly down to you right now and be a shoulder if nothing else... You have between traveling a tough, tough, road.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #219
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Thank you for the link, I think that described exactly how I feel at this point. I just hate that we find ourselves here and I keep running through the what ifs. What if we'd never given that first bottle to supplement, what if we'd gotten help for the TT sooner than we did, what if I had tried a supplementer sooner rather than going straight to a bottle, what if I quit and he would have figured it out if I gave it just one more day. But, I think it's time to step back from fighting this for myself and my fear of failing and enjoy the time with my son.

I don't have any signs of mastitis yet to my knowledge, just the fear of it. I'll try the cabbage leaves this evening (since we just happened to get a head of cabbage in our CSA this week - random)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #220
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I know...I still run through them..the thing is, a supplemental nursery may not have even worked (it didn't for us), if you had not supplemented somehow (aka bottle) your baby may have not taken enough food in..I don't want to even type where that could have led. You didn't know your baby had a tongue tie for a long time...you trusted the professionals you saw...and who wouldn't? When my middle was having issues I posted on a breastfeeding forum and everyone suggested tongue tie and I didn't believe then at all, because no health professionals had mentioned it! You have put up a huge fight, you have learned a lot (I don't know if you plan to have more children not is it any of my business, but,I learned with each of mine, and I credit our success this time to my past experiences).

As great as breastmilk is, as wonderful the bond, what your son breeds more than anything else is his mom. If you can't give him that because of the breastfeeding issues than it is time to either stop or switch things up somehow. I have just as greata relationship with the child I breastfed for 4 years as the one I breastfed for a few months.

I feel pretty certain I speak for all of us when I say we are behind you 100% no matter where you go from here.