Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Re: Help with Ameda pump and increasing supply

Well, it's now 3pm and I still haven't heard back from her. I've been searching online but I haven't found anyone that's not affiliated with the hospitals around here.

On the plus side, I nursed him after I last got on here. He only nursed on the left side, but I latched him with no pain for probably the first time ever. I don't know that it was necessarily a correct latch, but it was certainly better than the past. He only nursed on the left side, which is the side that I've only been able to get about a third of an oz from when pumping...but he was on for a good 20 minutes and seemed completely satisfied afterwards. He's been asleep for a good hour and a half now, so maybe the pump just isn't as efficient as I'd thought? I did latch him as best as I could and then I manually "fixed" his lips.... I'm sure that's not the right way to do things, but I figured it was better than nothing at this point and it seemed to help with both the pain and the creasing that I normally experience so it's encouraging in the least. I still went ahead and pumped afterwards and got just under an oz between both sides. I'm hoping that means that he's just more efficient than the pump and not that he just didn't get enough though.

Advertisement

Lizmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Oh, and I'm in the Chester/Colonial Heights/Richmond area of VA if anyone happens to have a connection with a helpful LC
Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
ChocoChoco
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmarie
Well, it's now 3pm and I still haven't heard back from her. I've been searching online but I haven't found anyone that's not affiliated with the hospitals around here.

On the plus side, I nursed him after I last got on here. He only nursed on the left side, but I latched him with no pain for probably the first time ever. I don't know that it was necessarily a correct latch, but it was certainly better than the past. He only nursed on the left side, which is the side that I've only been able to get about a third of an oz from when pumping...but he was on for a good 20 minutes and seemed completely satisfied afterwards. He's been asleep for a good hour and a half now, so maybe the pump just isn't as efficient as I'd thought? I did latch him as best as I could and then I manually "fixed" his lips.... I'm sure that's not the right way to do things, but I figured it was better than nothing at this point and it seemed to help with both the pain and the creasing that I normally experience so it's encouraging in the least. I still went ahead and pumped afterwards and got just under an oz between both sides. I'm hoping that means that he's just more efficient than the pump and not that he just didn't get enough though.
There is no doubt that he's more efficient than the pump. Up to about 3 or 4 months old, I had to "manually" fix DD's lips too after latching. She could nurse just fine if I didn't, but I always corrected it. Now she always flares them out without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
ChocoChoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is good news! If he latched and was eating well, that's a great sign! A pump will never get as much as baby (well, a baby who can eat well, haha! My little one was so bad at eating my pump was better this time!!! But now it is neat to see, I can pump first and then she'll latch and it takes longer to get a letdown than if I haven't pumped, but she can get a couple letdowns and a fair amount and the pump isn't getting anything)

Hey, if you can help him get adjusted after he is on, hey, go for it! THe goal is a good latch and eating! I know some that advocate pulling them off every time it isn't perfect, but know people who's little ones went on nursing strikes from being so upset about being pulled off soooo many times, that's no good! If he is swallowing (that light "k" sound) then there is milk. Keep an eye on the number of wet diapers, that is a fantastic indication of how much they are getting - if they're peeing it out, they're drinking it in!

Great work and persistence, I hope it continues!

Let me see if I see anything in that area, might throw up a separate thread to get you some suggestions on finding someone - I think the title doesn't match what we're talking about anymore, hence not getting more people adding in, haha!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Under Richmond there seems to be a couple of groups, with names/numbers to call the leaders on the right hand column: http://lllvawv.org/breastfeeding-help/central-virginia/ Give a call and explain your situation, see if someone can give a hand or suggest a private LC to get you some help and support!!

I posted here too to ask if anyone on here has a recommendation, just in case http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post14990868
Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Also, I don't remember which thread it was that it was mentioned to let him suck on your finger and see if his tongue wraps around it to indicate a tongue tie.... He did this this afternoon, he'll "suck" on my finger, but really there's no sucking it's just chomping with his gums repeatedly. I'm guessing that this isn't normal
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hard to say, if he won't suck, it might be that he doesn't like the idea of a finger to suck on (currently mine won't take a soother, bottle or suck a finger, just chews, good fun!) however, if this is the same kind of 'sucking' that he does on the bottle/soother/breast, then that doesn't sound too good. The big issue is if the tongue comes far enough forward to go over the bottom gums in regard to a tongue tie. Are you putting your finger in a bit, like up toward the top pallette where the bottle or nipple would touch?

I'd also watch at trying to keep the bottle in farther and getting lips flared out while giving him a bottle to help you with the nursing.

I'm going to copy the note above to the other thread as some seemed to know more about tongue ties than I did! Hope that is okay.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
lilmomma83
Registered Users

This REALLY sounds like a tongue tie to me...in fact I'd be shocked if it's not. Is there a little piece of skin connected the lip to the gum ("lip tie")? If so there is a really big chance there is a tongue tie too. Rather you can see an IBCLC or not I would try to contact one of the surgeons listed here: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml We are actually preparing to drive 7 hours to visit Dr. Kotlow (www.kiddsteeth.com) to get my DD's clipped a second time. FYI- 3 IBCLCs, 3 pediatricians, and 1 ENT all saw her before we finally found one who diagnosed her POSTERIOR tongue tie and clipped it - and even he did not clip it deep enough....it did help a lot though.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #29
Lizmarie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83 View Post
This REALLY sounds like a tongue tie to me...in fact I'd be shocked if it's not. Is there a little piece of skin connected the lip to the gum ("lip tie")? If so there is a really big chance there is a tongue tie too. Rather you can see an IBCLC or not I would try to contact one of the surgeons listed here: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml We are actually preparing to drive 7 hours to visit Dr. Kotlow (www.kiddsteeth.com) to get my DD's clipped a second time. FYI- 3 IBCLCs, 3 pediatricians, and 1 ENT all saw her before we finally found one who diagnosed her POSTERIOR tongue tie and clipped it - and even he did not clip it deep enough....it did help a lot though.
Out of curiousity, how much does it cost to have this diagnosed and clipped out of pocket? We're on military healthcare so I'm sure it wouldn't be covered if he does have a tongue-tie. However, one of the surgeons listed on the site you provided is less than 20 minutes from me so it may be worth checking into if there's a chance it is a tongue tie. He has what I feel is a very obvious lip tie.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I think the average is $500-$700, but, most places will work with you I think. Dr. Goldstone is who clipped my DD's and he charges about $700 (I think) to insured, but, charged us $100. Dr. Kotlow charges $500 and is charging is $250. Our insurance didn't/won't cover either provider. It's also recommended to get bodywork before/after if you can (chiropracter for example) they will usually work with you too on cost.
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote