Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
anjali'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile For those planning or who have had a homebirth

I have a question, I am due in 3 weeks. I had my home visit today and my midwife told me she does not do the PKU testing. Is it safe to wait until the baby is 2 weeks and have it done by her pediatrician, or will I have to take her to the hospital within 48 hours to have it done. I plan on calling the pediatrician in the morning, but for now would like some insight from you mama's.....Thanks ladies

Advertisement

anjali'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: For those planning or who have had a homebirth

I ended up being a HB transfer, but my midwife was going to do the PKU. My peds were happy with this because they said its important to do it in the first 3 days. My midwife said the same thing, although I don't know if there is any real harm in waiting.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

I would call your pedi and ask them what they prefer.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As a RN, I understand that the PKU is actually most accurate at 2 weeks of age and is the best time to have it done. They don't do that in the US because they feel that they can "catch" more babies if they do the test before babies leave the hospital. This is from doing my own research and talking with some Peds when I worked in Mother Baby.
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
anjali'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Ladies so much, I actually called the pediatrician and he told me to bring her in at a week and he will do it in his office. I feel relief now :-)
anjali'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ditto. My MW does not do PKU because babe needs to have been eating for 24 hours for it to even be any kind of accurate. Doing it in the hospital after birth doesn't tell them anything, so they do it again at the 3 day or 2 week visit anyway.
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
steph604
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't know what the state you are in includes in the PKU test but mine includes over 30 different metabolic conditions and turns out my son has one called MCAD. They did the test when he was two days and we found out when he was 5 days. If we had waited two weeks he could have died. He wasn't allowed to go more than 3 hours without nursing (lots of babies that die from "SIDS" actually have mcad but it just wasn't diagnosed) Just something to think about. I had a homebirth too but my midwife just did it during a visit to our home.
steph604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
borncrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph604 View Post
I don't know what the state you are in includes in the PKU test but mine includes over 30 different metabolic conditions and turns out my son has one called MCAD. They did the test when he was two days and we found out when he was 5 days. If we had waited two weeks he could have died. He wasn't allowed to go more than 3 hours without nursing (lots of babies that die from "SIDS" actually have mcad but it just wasn't diagnosed) Just something to think about. I had a homebirth too but my midwife just did it during a visit to our home.
This is a good point. A close friend had her daughters done at the hospital at birth and they found out she has galactosemia, which is a rare metaboc disorder and the only real reason a baby would be allergic to breastmilk. They realized something was wrong before they even got the test back though, and she was transferred to a children's hospital where they figured it out.