Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What's the current recs for the umbilical stump?

Leave it alone. Sponge baths only until it falls off, which is usually the second week of life. My guys were both about 10 days old when theirs fell off.

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247mom View Post
I have found (comparing care of 3 children's umbilical stumps) that alcohol actually kept it wet and it took a lot longer to fall off (plus there is a chance the alcohol can be absorbed into baby's system), and the fastest cord to fall off was the one I just kept dry (wiping around the stump with a dry cotton swab several times a day). That cord stump was also not painted with anything at birth either and fell off in just a few days. The alcohol wiped stump took a couple weeks to fall off and was very stinky and wet looking before finally falling off.
painted with something? I've never noticed...what do they paint it with? and yeah, i considered the part about the alcohol being absorbed....hmm...decisions decisions....my babies have always taken 2 weeks or longer
Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the stuff they painted the stump with is called Triple Dye- it makes the stump look purple. They used it for both our hosp. born LOs
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
tasundance
Registered Users
seller
seller

Out of the 5 kids we didnt use alcohol on the 3rd child and his stump was the worst. Took forever to dry u and fall off and it started to smell like rot after about a week. A few days after that I went back to using alcohol and that made it so much better. Dried it right up away and the stench was gone.
Tricia~31 Married for 13 years to Chad~36. Semi Crunchy mama to Aurora~12, Ethan~10, Jacob~8, Annika~5, Makenna~4, Niko James~3, Cyrus~1 and blessing #8 due 10/10/15
tasundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used alcohol occasionally with my kids. Never seemed to really remember to do it, but did it about once a day. Both took FOREVER to have it fall off! My DS's finally fell off, but then had to have it treated with silver nitrate because it just wouldn't stop oozing and oozing.

Never had one painted with anything in the hospital though. They just clamp, cut and leave it alone.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
All if mine have been painted with the purple/blue dye.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingkristin
All if mine have been painted with the purple/blue dye.
What is this blue/purple dye stuff? I have never heard of it, nor have any of my kids had it.

The cord stump that fell off the fastest was the baby who got a submerged bath right after birth. Submerged baths seemed to shrivel them up the quickest, my other two had sponge baths and the cord took longer to come off.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #18
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
I thought you weren't suppose to submerge the umbilical cord?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

ok, random question, i didn't see it mentioned here, although i opened the thread hoping someone would mention something like this. but i was hoping maybe someone knows? after ds was born the midwife gave me some herbal capsules and said to just keep the stump clean, and open a capsule and dump it on the cord a couple times a day. ds's literally dried up and fell off in like 3 days. we never used alcohol or anything, and there was never any oozing, smelling, or really wetness. after the first time we put the herbs on, it really dried up fast, and after it fell off his little belly button was all clean and healed, no open wound at all. for the life of me, i cannot remember WHAT she gave me! and i'm with a different midwife now in another part of the country, so i can't just ask her. but i really really want some of that stuff again! i feel like, after some preliminary googling, it's goldenseal? maybe? anyone know? i'm still going to ask my current midwife, but it'd be nice to have some idea before i look like a complete idiot.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23
ok, random question, i didn't see it mentioned here, although i opened the thread hoping someone would mention something like this. but i was hoping maybe someone knows? after ds was born the midwife gave me some herbal capsules and said to just keep the stump clean, and open a capsule and dump it on the cord a couple times a day. ds's literally dried up and fell off in like 3 days. we never used alcohol or anything, and there was never any oozing, smelling, or really wetness. after the first time we put the herbs on, it really dried up fast, and after it fell off his little belly button was all clean and healed, no open wound at all. for the life of me, i cannot remember WHAT she gave me! and i'm with a different midwife now in another part of the country, so i can't just ask her. but i really really want some of that stuff again! i feel like, after some preliminary googling, it's goldenseal? maybe? anyone know? i'm still going to ask my current midwife, but it'd be nice to have some idea before i look like a complete idiot.
I have no idea, but if you find out, I'd love to know!