Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: AAAH! What now?

That's everyone Super stupid question coming up - but how would I gate his room if I needed the door shut? DS goes to bed quite a bit earlier than us, and his room is directly facing the living room, so I'd definitely want it shut. I don't have any gates right now since we don't have stairs, is it possible to have it both ways? Shut door AND gate?

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can't help you with the gate/door thing, but am curious as well.

For the possible sneaking out, my brother used to do this and my mom put jingle bells on his door. They totally wake you up
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We can close DS's door with a gate up.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
When dd1climbed out her crib at 17mos. I put her matress on the floor, in the corner, and put her bumper around the matress. She did awesome. At 22ish mos she started bagging on the door so i put a night light on a timer, told her when froggy comes on she can get up, then we roll played lol when she learned how to work the knob i just put aa cover on it. she was safely confined to her room-just like she was when she was in a crib- and she couldnt her the noise from dh and i.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I seconded having a mattress on the floor. I have always been ultra paranoid about the whole "falling" thing, probably irrationally so. We transitioned DS1 to a regular bed at 18 mos - which is a queen size mattress on the floor. Both he and his brother are pretty active sleepers and roll tons so I guess that added to my paranoia.

DS2 is due for his own big boy bed and we are just waiting until the new house gets built.

That must have been really scary.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
That's everyone Super stupid question coming up - but how would I gate his room if I needed the door shut? DS goes to bed quite a bit earlier than us, and his room is directly facing the living room, so I'd definitely want it shut. I don't have any gates right now since we don't have stairs, is it possible to have it both ways? Shut door AND gate?
A few different ways. If there is a long hallway, I have done baby gates in the hall in front and in back of the door (this isn't the best description but hopefully you get it) so he can come into the hall but can't go anywhere. Or, we have a bit wider framing so we just now have one fit into the doorway. If you don't own one already and are going to buy one, get the extra tall ones. They also have lots of different styles that do interesting things depending on the house set up. I can close my son's door and gate but we never close the door or he'll just get out of bed, open it and go back to bed so it isn't worth bothering. You put the gate on the outside part if the door swings in.

Also, this may be a dumb comment as you know, but make sure you have the dresser and any furniture like bookshelves bolted to the wall, especially if you have a climber so they don't fall when they climb. They have an easy kit through walmart online that was $5 or so.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son started sleeping in a twin mattress on the floor when he was one. I bought those mesh toddler safety rails just to keep him in bed in case he rolled out, but he never did so we took them off. I mean, even if he did fall, it would be what - 6 inches? on to carpet. I was very worried about him getting up and wandering around but he did fantastic, and I sort of like that he is able to wander around and play with his toys in the morning so I could get an extra 20 minutes of sleep (not that this happens, of course, he just bangs on the door instead. But theoretically....). Babyproofing is a must if you go this route, though! And yes, we can put up a gate and close the door at the same time.

I'm glad your little guy is ok!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP...is there an echo in here?

Last edited by UnderTheStars; 04-19-2012 at 02:08 PM.
UnderTheStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much mamas My mom has a twin she said we could use, so I'll be trying that just laid out on the floor. That way, we won't have to buy a bassinet for the new baby anymore
Also, thanks for mentioning to attach bookselves or dressers to the wall! I totally would NOT have though of that.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
pcjs
Registered Users

This is what we use:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mommy-s-He...8-pack/9203733

$6 shipped

*you can make your own but by the time you buy all the stuff, its the same price when I looked