Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

6 month old sleeping less and less

I know this is probably asked a million times a month, but i need ideas.

I tried googling for ideas, and all I can find are forum posts of people recommending improper use of the Ferber Method...I couldn't handle reading any more...

SO, here is the dealio.

My LO has been an awesome sleeper. She's been sleeping in her crib happily since 3 weeks of age. At 2 months she went from waking every two hours, to eventually sleeping 5-7 hours straight at night. She'd also have about two 1-hour naps each day.

Then she got her 4 month shots. Her sleeping went to heck in a handbasket. She had a hard time with those shots (got a fever of 102) and didn't sleep very well that night... and from that night onward her sleep has been getting worse and worse. I'm not blaming the shots at all, I just remember very clearly when she suddenly stopped sleeping so well!

At first it was no big deal, I figured she was having a growth sput, then I thought maybe she was teething...

Now I'm just lost though. Her sleep is getting worse and worse. She doesn't nap during the day unless we're in the car or if she falls asleep while nursing. I will literally sit here with her on my lap for an hour just so she'll get a nap in. If I try to lay her down she wakes up.

She used to suck her thumb or take a paci, but has since shown no interest in doing either to soothe herself. She freaks out if I put a paci near her mouth.

Night time is progressively getting worse, like I mentioned. If I am lucky, she will sleep 3 hours when I initially put her to bed around 9:30. But after that she's up every hour and a half. Each time she wakes, I nurse her until she falls asleep and then put her back in her crib. If I am lucky she'll stay asleep, but usually once a night she wakes as soon as I put her in the crib. This can go on for 4 or 5 attempts, at which time I "give up" and bring her into bed with me and nurse her there until we both fall asleep.

Bringing her into bed with us seemed to be helping her sleep longer at first, but that has since ended and she wakes constantly there as well.

I just don't know where to turn. If this is normal, I'm fine with that. I'm just concerned that I've somehow created a monster with bad sleeping habits!

Advertisement

Last edited by Urchin; 04-17-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
scentedcandle
Registered Users

Re: 6 month old sleeping less and less

I can relate, my 12 month old has been the same since a few months. We co sleep all night now and she wakes at least 5 times.
scentedcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

What happens if you don't go and get her immediately? Does she escalate with crying? or perhaps she just needs some time to get to her next sleep cycle on her own (just fussing, not screaming). Sometimes moms rush in and accidentally make the situation worse.....just a thought.

If co-sleeping is not making it better, I would start swaddling and using white noise. If she does wake up, she wont be able to wiggle around much and get herself as worked up and awake.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

My DD did this exactly! Slept like a dream from like 6 week - 4 months. I'm talking like 10-12 hours a night and then napped 2x's a day maybe an hour each time. Then something happened at 4 months, and she would be difficult to put down at night and would wake once or twice at night for feedings. To put her to bed I would give her her last bottle and hold her for an hour or so to make sure she was really asleep then try to lay her in her crib without waking her up. It always felt like a crap shoot if she would wake or not. For the night feedings she's actually pretty good about eating then going back to her crib. I keep telling myself she's waking at night because she's not getting enough calories during the day because she will cry, suck down a bottle and go right to sleep.

One thing that we found really helps is swaddling in a receiving blanket. It's tight enough she feels safe and can be laid in her crib without waking but she's able to get out of it through out the night so if she rolls over she's not in danger of suffocating because she can't roll back over.

I know it's frustrating, but I do think it's normal for sleep patterns to change around 4 months. I hope you find something that helps!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No real advice. Both my kiddos went from awesome sleeping as babies to starting to wake up more and more froma bout 5-6 months old. DD1 slept worse and worse until 11 months and she got her own room when we moved house. From that NIGHT slept 12 hours straight every single night. Absolute best move ever for all of us. We weren't all sick and run down, and all way way happier. So we tried the same thing with #2, but a little earlier. DID NOT WORK at all. In fact at 2 she is still a crap sleeper and is very difficult to get to bed. I've given up with her. LOL. DD3 however slept 10-12 hours straight since exactly 6 weeks old. Now at 5 months she sometimes wakes up once a night, not always... I am holding thumbs that it sticks, but basically resigned myself to being woken up at least 1-2X a night by somebody in the next 3 years. I would love to get better sleep, but I guess I forgot what that is like. It seems like it would be a dream to sleep through the night every night again.

Anyway, suffice to say that I think what you described is very normal and part of their normal development. it does take a lot of people by surprise though, especially as you expect they should just sleep better and better.

Last edited by jeebee; 04-17-2012 at 08:21 AM.
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
What happens if you don't go and get her immediately? Does she escalate with crying? or perhaps she just needs some time to get to her next sleep cycle on her own (just fussing, not screaming). Sometimes moms rush in and accidentally make the situation worse.....just a thought.

If co-sleeping is not making it better, I would start swaddling and using white noise. If she does wake up, she wont be able to wiggle around much and get herself as worked up and awake.
I've tried letting her fuss a bit many times and it just escalates to her screaming very quickly.

I will look in to white noise & try swaddling again.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucysgreenmomma View Post
My DD did this exactly! Slept like a dream from like 6 week - 4 months. I'm talking like 10-12 hours a night and then napped 2x's a day maybe an hour each time. Then something happened at 4 months, and she would be difficult to put down at night and would wake once or twice at night for feedings. To put her to bed I would give her her last bottle and hold her for an hour or so to make sure she was really asleep then try to lay her in her crib without waking her up. It always felt like a crap shoot if she would wake or not. For the night feedings she's actually pretty good about eating then going back to her crib. I keep telling myself she's waking at night because she's not getting enough calories during the day because she will cry, suck down a bottle and go right to sleep.

One thing that we found really helps is swaddling in a receiving blanket. It's tight enough she feels safe and can be laid in her crib without waking but she's able to get out of it through out the night so if she rolls over she's not in danger of suffocating because she can't roll back over.

I know it's frustrating, but I do think it's normal for sleep patterns to change around 4 months. I hope you find something that helps!

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's good to know i'm not totally alone with this!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
JadeScarlet
Registered Users

My 8 month old is going through the same thing right now. He slept well from birth (well as good as a newborn can, 3-4 hours at a time, gradually up to 7ish hours by 4 months). 4-5 months was terrible sleep, up every hour. 6-7 months were great (8-12 hours).

I wish I knew what to do.

Have you tried massage? We have been doing that for a few weeks now and it hasn't worked for us yet, but the teacher of the class we took says it sometimes takes babies a while to get used to it, but that over time it helps them to relax and sleep better.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post

Anyway, suffice to say that I think what you described is very normal and part of their normal development. it does take a lot of people by surprise though, especially as you expect they should just sleep better and better.
Thanks for this tip! Glad to know it sounds like normal development!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeScarlet View Post
My 8 month old is going through the same thing right now. He slept well from birth (well as good as a newborn can, 3-4 hours at a time, gradually up to 7ish hours by 4 months). 4-5 months was terrible sleep, up every hour. 6-7 months were great (8-12 hours).

I wish I knew what to do.

Have you tried massage? We have been doing that for a few weeks now and it hasn't worked for us yet, but the teacher of the class we took says it sometimes takes babies a while to get used to it, but that over time it helps them to relax and sleep better.
Massage is a great suggestion too. I will add it to my toolbox!