Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do people in your state follow your state laws?

Nope, NM is pretty lax about everything. They do have decent carseat laws I think, not the most lax anyway....but it is not enforced to my knowledge. I know PLENTY of kids my dd's age *not even 2 yet* in NOTHING! One of her little friends rides in the front seat in nothing but the seatbelt and she just turned 2 a few mths ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
Nope. Alabama is a 1 OR 20 lb state. Pisses me off big time. But generally kids are in boosters at 3 or 4 and by 5 they are in nothing.
My SIL (lives in AL) is HORRID about carseats! She has 4 kids....6, 7, 10, 12 and none of them have been in any type of seat in 5 yrs. Yep, she put her youngest in NOTHING when he turned 1. When DH and I got married (5 yrs ago) we had the youngest with us for a week. I knew NOTHING about carseats then. He was 11 mths and ffing in an overhead shield seat. I installed the seat in the middle of the backseat but I knew nothing about installing seats. i cringe to think of how loose it was, he was 11 mths, in an OLD overhead shield seat, ect. And when they drove from Al last summer to visit she let her then 4 yo LAY ON THE FLOOR of the van all night (they drove through the night) They came the yr before and she brought a friend and her 2 kids...not a single booster or anything and there was a 2yo, 3 yr, 2 4yo's, 8 yo, and a 10yr old. 8 people in a 7 seater van. The oldest boy sat on the floor between the captain seats the whole way here and back

Advertisement

Last edited by solarbabies; 04-19-2012 at 09:38 AM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
allhiskids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes I am a weirdo because we follow to the max and encourage, often unsuccessfully others to keep there children safe. Girly I babysit daily, was turned ff at 365 days and almost 18 pounds. And now at three is riding in a crappysport and the top slots are below her shoulders. I guess that doesn't matter though since she doesn't really have to buckle up if she doesn't want. :twitch: baby boy I keep, is growing out of his bucket and his mom asked me to help her pick a good safe seat for him.

In my car he will use a my ride and she rides in a boulevard. My house my rules.

Kathy Mama to Isaac 7-25 , Grace , Charlie , Heather
allhiskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
......No. Most people just do whatever. Pretty sure even the cops don't.
This exactly. I have seen the cops driving around in their cruisers during the town wide yard sales with their toddler-age children standing in the front seat of the car. People here just don't give a crap. I'm wanting to get my CPST certification...but at the same time...I'm kinda wondering if paying the money and doing it is really worth it because its totally pointless around here.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Law you mean they are laws and not suggestions!? Nope not in southern Illinois. I often see toddlers bouncing around the back seat.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Now when we were in northern Illinois the cops took the carseat laws more seriously. I heard that if you were pulled over and your child wasn't in a car seat you couldn't leave until someone brought you one. If no one you knew could bring you one then I was told the police called DCFS to come and get the child or children. It got so bad we were warned to keep our catseats out of sight when not in use because people were steeling them from the cars.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 04-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, its bad here in southern Illinois. Like...if I suggest a Nautilus to anyone, they're all (even the ones that can totally afford it) "OMG, why would you spend that much money on a carseat?! I can buy one at a yardsale for $10!" Not even telling them how much we've paid for our Britax seats.

I've seriously had people YELL at me in parking lots when I had my DD rearfacing at 2.5. I was apparently trying to break her legs, putting her in danger on purpose, uneducated because they HAVE to be turned around when they're 20 lbs, etc etc.

My oldest was invited to ride uptown to the fair with a neighbor friend, and they wouldn't drive him when I took a backless booster for him at 5 years old...they thought it was weird and babyish that I was making him use a booster...ummm, I think it was the 1st time he ever got a chance to use a booster outside of DH's truck while booster-training...they'd be horrified to know that he's still harnessed in my car.

All of DH's cousins have used the same infant seat for all of their kids, they just pass it around...the oldest is 9 years old. I've NEVER seen it used with a base, its NEVER buckled into the car...I've seen them pull up with it laying in the front seat, laying in the backseat sideways, sitting in the floorboard, on people's laps. They insist that as long as the baby is in the seat, that's all that matters...except the poor kids are never buckled correctly...its either just the chest clip, one of the straps pulled across them, straps are always as loose as they'll go, etc. I've seen DH's uncle pull up in an S10 before with FIVE of his grandbabies, all under the age of 5, in the truck with him. It seriously makes me sick to see them. They get tickets all the time for it, take a receipt to court to prove they've purchased a carseat, the ticket gets dropped, then they go return the carseat the same day
Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am definitely the odd man out around here for having my 26lb 18mo rfing. The laws are not strictly enforced where I live.

However, federal car seat laws are a Constitutional impossibility. They will never be made federal, and I have to say, politically, I wouldn't ever want them to be.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
Nope. Alabama is a 1 OR 20 lb state. Pisses me off big time. But generally kids are in boosters at 3 or 4 and by 5 they are in nothing.
In my close circle of friends here in AL, only one is carseat crazy like me. I went through a license check a few months ago and the State trooper asked the usual "are they all yours?" question when he peeked into my 15 passenger van. When I answered "yes," he shined the light in, not to see if they were buckled, but to count them LOL. Once he finished counting, he said "Wow, why do you have them all in carseats?" .... "ummmm, because they are too young for seatbelt only, do not pass the 5 point test, and it is the LAW!" He said "oh, I have just never seen that many kids in carseats in one vehicle." Then he called the other two officers over to get them to gawk over how many kids there were and all of them in carseats.
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nope. I live in Louisiana, and people think I'm crazy for having my two year old RF and my four year old harnessed. The idiots at the hospital weren't going to let me take my daughter home becaue we had a convertible instead of a carier.

But I agree with PP who said the laws shouldn't be federal. Honestly, I wish we didn't have to have them at all. But unfortunately we have grown so lazy that we allow the government determine the standards of safety for our children. People would rather have a law than research for themselves what is safe.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think our laws are pretty decent, but not many people I know or have seen follow them well. FF infants? Sure, why not? 2 year old loose in the front seat? Heck yeah! Booster seat? Nah, my kid is happier with shoulder belt behind his back.

I only know ONE other person IRL that RFs past age one, and I met her here on DS.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote