Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Miscarriage questions.

First of all, I'm sorry if this is not in the right spot... I'm still new to this forum thing. Bear with me.

So lastnight, it was found out that I am miscarrying. I am between 5-6 weeks, and the doctor said (from my ultrasound) that there wasn't a lot of tissue or clots to pass, so I shouldn't have much bleeding.

Granted, I am not filling a pad every hour or anything, but I am bleeding. The cramping can get intense at times, but I am unsure of what to do.

I don't want to do anything to make the pain/bleeding worse... but I want to feel better. Then again, I don't... I almost want to feel it. I am in a really weird spot right now (emotionally) and I just want this to be over as soon as possible.

What medicines do I take? My cervix is open so I know that a hot bath is out of the question.

Also, they told me to go in and get my HCG levels checked in 2-7 days. My level was a 25 lastnight. Is this really necessary? Do I HAVE to go back until it gets down to 0? I would like to avoid it if I can. :/

I guess anything that you guys can offer me would be helpful. I'm not handling this as well today as I thought I would.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
Re: Miscarriage questions.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I've never personally had to endure a miscarriage, but I think I can answer some of your questions.

If the cramping is painful, feel free to take some ibuprofen to help with it.

A warm bath shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't do a bubble bath, or sit in there for hours, but if a bath would help you relax and feel better I would hop on in.

I'm not sure if there is a specific subforum on here for dealing with loss, but I know mothering.com has one and the women there are very knowledgeable and supportive.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had one miscarriage, early as well. I let my body do its thing, never had levels checked. I conceived 2 weeks later.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so, so sorry for your loss!

With my early pregnancy loss I bled like a very heavy period for a few days. My bleeding was done about a week and a half after it started.

I understand the place you are right now. Like you, I felt bad about taking medications. Like you I wanted the pain and bleeding to stop but then again I didn't because that meant that pregnancy would be completely over and done with. Most of my severe pain was before the bleeding started, after my bleeding started I had like 2/3 days of bad cramping and that was it. Take the medication if you want to, don't if you don't.

My doctor had me come back a week from the first hcg level they took to make sure my level was back to not-pregnant and it was. You don't HAVE to go back to get your levels checked, you need to do whatever you feel is best and right for you.

Spunkify is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
First of all, I'm sorry if this is not in the right spot... I'm still new to this forum thing. Bear with me.

So lastnight, it was found out that I am miscarrying. I am between 5-6 weeks, and the doctor said (from my ultrasound) that there wasn't a lot of tissue or clots to pass, so I shouldn't have much bleeding.

Granted, I am not filling a pad every hour or anything, but I am bleeding. The cramping can get intense at times, but I am unsure of what to do.

I don't want to do anything to make the pain/bleeding worse... but I want to feel better. Then again, I don't... I almost want to feel it. I am in a really weird spot right now (emotionally) and I just want this to be over as soon as possible.

What medicines do I take? My cervix is open so I know that a hot bath is out of the question.

Also, they told me to go in and get my HCG levels checked in 2-7 days. My level was a 25 lastnight. Is this really necessary? Do I HAVE to go back until it gets down to 0? I would like to avoid it if I can. :/

I guess anything that you guys can offer me would be helpful. I'm not handling this as well today as I thought I would.
I'm sorry you are going through this, I have been there twice before.

The docs want to monitor your HCG levels to make sure that all tissue is passed. Your numbers won't reach 0 if you still have tissue and if your body doesn't get all the tissue out you could end up with an infection.

You can take tylenol for the pain, but from my experience it didn't help much. Once you pass the everything, your cramps should not be as painful. Just be sure to keep an eye on your bleeding and go back if you fill a pad an hour.
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I've never personally had to endure a miscarriage, but I think I can answer some of your questions.

If the cramping is painful, feel free to take some ibuprofen to help with it.

A warm bath shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't do a bubble bath, or sit in there for hours, but if a bath would help you relax and feel better I would hop on in.

I'm not sure if there is a specific subforum on here for dealing with loss, but I know mothering.com has one and the women there are very knowledgeable and supportive.

Thank you.

I was worried about Ibuprofen because I've heard that it can make the bleeding worse. Not sure if I want that. But if it is okay, then I will try 600mg and see if it helps. The cramping actually isn't too horrible. I have REALLY painful periods... so this is nothing new to me (the pain).

I will see about trying the bath when hubby gets home. Even if I can sit on a donut and keep my hoo-hoo out of the water, and just let it get my back and tummy, that would work well. I just don't want to risk infection, which seems to be the biggest concern when it comes to a bath/open cervix.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I have had one miscarriage, early as well. I let my body do its thing, never had levels checked. I conceived 2 weeks later.
I made an appointment for next Wednesday anyway. I had labs taken on 4/11 - levels were 190. Had labs taken again on 4/16, they were 68 - I just found that out today. Lastnight at the ER labs were 25. So it's dropping pretty rapidly. Should be at 0 by Friday or so, but I will go in Wednesday anyway, just for peace of mind that everything is going smoothly. I doubt me and hubby will try again soon. Not sure that I can go through this again right now. Doctor said to stay on pelvic rest/no sex for a minimum of 3 weeks. I'm a prude (I obey) when it comes to following doctors orders (unfortunately...)
Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by September View Post
I am so, so sorry for your loss!

With my early pregnancy loss I bled like a very heavy period for a few days. My bleeding was done about a week and a half after it started.

I understand the place you are right now. Like you, I felt bad about taking medications. Like you I wanted the pain and bleeding to stop but then again I didn't because that meant that pregnancy would be completely over and done with. Most of my severe pain was before the bleeding started, after my bleeding started I had like 2/3 days of bad cramping and that was it. Take the medication if you want to, don't if you don't.

My doctor had me come back a week from the first hcg level they took to make sure my level was back to not-pregnant and it was. You don't HAVE to go back to get your levels checked, you need to do whatever you feel is best and right for you.
I guess getting the levels checked is kind of like a closure thing for me. Just to know that it's over... and it will allow me to move on. The cramping can get intense at times, but for the most part, it's not all that bad. Maybe a 4-5 out of a 10 scale. The bleeding is not ridiculously heavy, but it is fairly heavy at times. Passing some tissue and such today... hate seeing it in the toilet. I almost hate flushing... =/ Ugh.

Just want to relax and let things happen as they will, but I really would like this to be over with. I'm almost afraid to have sex, because I really don't know that I will be able to handle getting pregnant again so soon after this. I almost feel like I need time to mourn this loss before I can really move on and think about trying again. We have three beautiful boys, with amazing, caring hearts... and if that's all I get, I will count my blessings. I just don't think I could go through this again...
Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambieone View Post
I'm sorry you are going through this, I have been there twice before.

The docs want to monitor your HCG levels to make sure that all tissue is passed. Your numbers won't reach 0 if you still have tissue and if your body doesn't get all the tissue out you could end up with an infection.

You can take tylenol for the pain, but from my experience it didn't help much. Once you pass the everything, your cramps should not be as painful. Just be sure to keep an eye on your bleeding and go back if you fill a pad an hour.
Thank you.

I have a doctor appointment for Wednesday. I am going to go ahead and go, even though I really don't want to.

I am definitely not filling a pad an hour. Keeping up with my water intake nicely, and I drank a spinach smoothie this morning to make sure my iron is kept up at a decent level. I don't want to take iron supplements, and I am not hungry at all... so eating something doesn't sound appealing right now. I figure I'll be on a smoothie diet until my appetite comes back.

Should I continue taking my prenatals, or is that not necessary anymore?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have conceived three children and carried them all to term since our loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
I guess getting the levels checked is kind of like a closure thing for me. Just to know that it's over... and it will allow me to move on. The cramping can get intense at times, but for the most part, it's not all that bad. Maybe a 4-5 out of a 10 scale. The bleeding is not ridiculously heavy, but it is fairly heavy at times. Passing some tissue and such today... hate seeing it in the toilet. I almost hate flushing... =/ Ugh.

Just want to relax and let things happen as they will, but I really would like this to be over with. I'm almost afraid to have sex, because I really don't know that I will be able to handle getting pregnant again so soon after this. I almost feel like I need time to mourn this loss before I can really move on and think about trying again. We have three beautiful boys, with amazing, caring hearts... and if that's all I get, I will count my blessings. I just don't think I could go through this again...

Spunkify is online now   Reply With Quote