Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

Any moms out there who had a baby at 40 or older?

I am TTC with 2nd child and turned 40 in December. (DH turned 41 in September.)

DS was born healthy when I was 38.5 yrs. old. I had a CVS test at less than 12 weeks, did some other genetic testing (offered to all moms over 35), plus the blood screening test. All was fine. I had a great pregnancy, no complications at all, I am at a very healthy weight, in very good physical shape, am very active (running, biking, etc.) and a healthy eater, moderate drinker, non-smoker.

Everything I read on the internet scares me about having another baby at 41.

Has anyone else gone through this situation? It would help to hear how others dealt with their fears. Oh, also, I'm also hoping for a VBAC.

Thanks,
Ashley

Advertisement

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
artmother
Registered Users

Re: Any moms out there who had a baby at 40 or older?

Well, I haven't had her yet, but she is due in 31 days and I am getting close

I am 44 yrs old, will turn 45 two months after her due date.

My original age based risk for Downs was 1:21 I did a Sequential Screen and they dropped the risk to less than 1:10,000 so I decided against CVS and Amnio. She has been growing right on target and shows not markers including soft markers for any problems. After losing my first to adoption 29 years ago and losing 2 more to m/c, I decided that since this one happened the first month we tried (back with first DC's daddy) was a good sign and tried not to worry so much.

I pray every day that she is healthy, and I will post when she arrives in the next few weeks.

Best of luck if you decide to go for another. There are lots of us out there having healthy babies over 40.

Vicki
artmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
ailurus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MIne was at 39 and perfectly healthy and my cousin had her's at 45 and 51 (yes, that's not a typo) and both are beautiful, bright, healthy children.
ailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Ashley
Registered Users
seller

What is a Sequential Screen test and how is it performed??
I've never heard of it?
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
lilybug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was 40 when I had my #2 (#1 came at 36) and did fine. You sound like you're in a heck of a lot better shape than I was
lilybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am 28, but sub to a list of those who are "quiverfull" or those who use no birth control or NFP. There are lots and lots of Mommas there of "advanced maternal age" LOL (that is the stupidest term, but anyways) and they do great
Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Monkeytaylz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my first two daughters when I was 21 & 25...then I had my son at 39, and my daughter who is now a year at 41. My drs both times told me of the risks and recommended testing, amnios, etc. I declined all of them because IMO, the risk of the amnio to the baby outweighed the benefit. And the triple screen or whatever they call it only determines if there is a risk there, not if there is an actual problem w/ the baby. My dh and I felt that any stress it could cause me was not worth it as termination of the pregnancy would not have been a consideration at all. And studies have shown that a mother's stress can cause problems!
Many women have healthy babies over 40! Do not let the statistics scare you! I am 42, and am TCC after a miscarriage!
Monkeytaylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #8
artmother
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
What is a Sequential Screen test and how is it performed??
I've never heard of it?
I was told that is has been around a while in big cities, but is fairly new in most areas like mine (Indianapolis)

Around week 12 they did a blood draw and a u/s to measure the nuchal fold. From that they gave me a risk asssesment.

I returned 3 or 4 weeks later for a second blood draw and from all the results they gave me my risk for Downs and Trisomy 13 & 18.

I chose that test since it gave more information and eased my mind so I did not feel the need for an amnio.

Vicki
artmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
jodi74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom had my healthy little sis at 46!
jodi74 is offline   Reply With Quote