Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

Here is my thinking...I want a VBAC, my 1st born was 10lbs on the nose and being the preggo/birthing uneducated 1st time mom I was, I allowed myself to be led by the hand and patted on the head like a 'good-little-pregnant-lady' all the way to the OR for a csection due to 'fetal macrosoma' (SCARY SOUNDING WORDS for something that means big baby...LOL). I am a believer that my body will 'work' and birth a baby. I am also very scared that I will have complications (story of my life...'why wouldn't space trash fall from the sky on my new car?' 'Why wouldn't I have a major medical episode 12 hours before my medical insurance started?'...LOL) and the baby's and/or my health will be compromised. Does anyone know if I can just 'labor through 1st and 2nd stage, get the epidural then go to the OR?...I know some of you may feel that this is not a good option and I am possibly taking an easy route but I am really afraid of something bad happening...

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Uterine Rupture in 1st & 2nd stage of labor stats???

I don't see why you couldn't do that.. it's basically just a trial of labor. You won't know if it will work until unless you try. You may be doing well enough not to need to get an epidural or head to the ER. But I was told that it's best to try labor because it helps get your body and your baby ready for the outside world. Best of luck Mama!
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
kadensmomma
Registered Users
seller

Any labor you can get is good for you and baby. With the epidural you don't get the labor like you would without it. If you want a CS, instead of scheduling a CS I recommend most of my clients to go into labor then head for the hospital after that when they think they are ready. Then Mom and Baby get some labor before they cut. Most hospitals will not let you labor at all before a CS, so going in later is better...then plan on getting set up for a CS right away when you get there.
kadensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

I'm not so sure your risk if rupture is any higher at the end of labor/ during delivery vs beginning if labor. Is there a reason why you think that? If you go into labor in your own and are not induced, you are at a very low risk of a rupture. Ruptures can happen at any point in pregnancy, not just when you are in labor.

FWIW, I had a successful VBAC and I have a uterine anomaly. My risk of rupture was unknown, as there really are no studies done on VBACs with my kind of uterus. My perinatologist actually encouraged me to VBAC, I just couldn't be induced. I was constantly monitored, and I didn't allow myself to get an epi. I reasoned that then I would be able to feel if something was terribly wrong (like a rupture) vs waiting for the monitoring to pick it up.

GL in your decision! Ultimately you need to be comfortable with your choice to VBAC, or you risk not having a productive labor since you are too anxiety ridden.
sunyflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadensmomma View Post
Any labor you can get is good for you and baby. With the epidural you don't get the labor like you would without it. If you want a CS, instead of scheduling a CS I recommend most of my clients to go into labor then head for the hospital after that when they think they are ready. Then Mom and Baby get some labor before they cut. Most hospitals will not let you labor at all before a CS, so going in later is better...then plan on getting set up for a CS right away when you get there.
Why is this? I've only heard that the baby going though the birth canal is what's good for the baby, but never heard that just labor is good for the baby and mom. Is it because when you go into labor, that's a very good sign that the baby is ready to be born?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with what someone else said- any labor is good for the baby, so if you want to go into labor first instead of scheduling a c-section, then that's your decision that you should be supported in. You might have a hard time explaining that to your doctor, because they're so used to scheduling c-sections, because most moms want that "convenience" once they've decided that they're going to have a surgical birth. But I would think that if you put them side-to-side, the risks of waiting to go into labor and then going for the c-section are outweighed or at least the same as the risks of having a baby born before it's really ready.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyflwr View Post
I'm not so sure your risk if rupture is any higher at the end of labor/ during delivery vs beginning if labor. Is there a reason why you think that? If you go into labor in your own and are not induced, you are at a very low risk of a rupture. Ruptures can happen at any point in pregnancy, not just when you are in labor.

FWIW, I had a successful VBAC and I have a uterine anomaly. My risk of rupture was unknown, as there really are no studies done on VBACs with my kind of uterus. My perinatologist actually encouraged me to VBAC, I just couldn't be induced. I was constantly monitored, and I didn't allow myself to get an epi. I reasoned that then I would be able to feel if something was terribly wrong (like a rupture) vs waiting for the monitoring to pick it up.

GL in your decision! Ultimately you need to be comfortable with your choice to VBAC, or you risk not having a productive labor since you are too anxiety ridden.
I don't ALREADY THINK that the risk is lower or higher or any different, I am trying to get a conversation started that will allow me to gain different perspectives and hopefully get some excellent questions that I may have not thought of and could be great to ask at my doctor visit this Friday.

I believe that I CAN have a successful VBAC, however, DH is extremely scared that something devastating will happen and one or both of us will suffer, be hurt, or worse, die. Yes, he is a worrier...I am researching and trying to gain different perspectives regarding the risks and standard operating procedure/protocols so I can help him feel better and also have a backup 'plan' that will be a good compromise for the both of us. I want to feel labor, he wants me to have a planned c section b/c he believes it is the safest/most controlled way to give birth. He feels safe with the idea of planned, predictable, etc. I have always felt 'incomplete' or 'jipped' with the previous c section b/c I never felt contractions...he respects this as much as a man can, but his priority is keeping baby and I alive and well, his mother has been telling him that women are not 'allowed' to have a vaginal birth after a c section, I explained why that USED TO BE the case and now it's different.

Regarding your comment about me being too anxiety ridden, you must have mistook my statements and questions. I feel that your assumption and vocalization of it is coming off as very snarky and would appreciate it if you either clairify how the comment could be helpful or apologize.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your experiences.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6755 View Post
I don't ALREADY THINK that the risk is lower or higher or any different, I am trying to get a conversation started that will allow me to gain different perspectives and hopefully get some excellent questions that I may have not thought of and could be great to ask at my doctor visit this Friday.

I believe that I CAN have a successful VBAC, however, DH is extremely scared that something devastating will happen and one or both of us will suffer, be hurt, or worse, die. Yes, he is a worrier...I am researching and trying to gain different perspectives regarding the risks and standard operating procedure/protocols so I can help him feel better and also have a backup 'plan' that will be a good compromise for the both of us. I want to feel labor, he wants me to have a planned c section b/c he believes it is the safest/most controlled way to give birth. He feels safe with the idea of planned, predictable, etc. I have always felt 'incomplete' or 'jipped' with the previous c section b/c I never felt contractions...he respects this as much as a man can, but his priority is keeping baby and I alive and well, his mother has been telling him that women are not 'allowed' to have a vaginal birth after a c section, I explained why that USED TO BE the case and now it's different.

Regarding your comment about me being too anxiety ridden, you must have mistook my statements and questions. I feel that your assumption and vocalization of it is coming off as very snarky and would appreciate it if you either clairify how the comment could be helpful or apologize.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me your experiences.
In your original post, you didn't say that your DH was the one who is worried...you said that YOU are worried about something terrible happening during labor:

Quote:
Here is my thinking...I want a VBAC, my 1st born was 10lbs on the nose and being the preggo/birthing uneducated 1st time mom I was, I allowed myself to be led by the hand and patted on the head like a 'good-little-pregnant-lady' all the way to the OR for a csection due to 'fetal macrosoma' (SCARY SOUNDING WORDS for something that means big baby...LOL). I am a believer that my body will 'work' and birth a baby. I am also very scared that I will have complications (story of my life...'why wouldn't space trash fall from the sky on my new car?' 'Why wouldn't I have a major medical episode 12 hours before my medical insurance started?'...LOL) and the baby's and/or my health will be compromised. Does anyone know if I can just 'labor through 1st and 2nd stage, get the epidural then go to the OR?...I know some of you may feel that this is not a good option and I am possibly taking an easy route but I am really afraid of something bad happening...
So I was simply pointing out that, like Ina May talks about in her Guide to Childbirth, that these types of feelings can keep labor from progressing. She has even seen cases where dilation goes backwards when a mom doesn't feel comfortable/gets anxiety/tenses during labor.

I never meant it in a snarky way at all. Sorry if I came off as such.

ETA: I guess I still just don't understand the logic of laboring through the 1st and 2nd stages if you and/or DH are worried about complications. Obviously if you propose this as an option you are learning towards, you must think there is benefit to doing such over a complete VBAC or scheduled section? It sounds like you want someone to calculate your risk of laboring 1st and 2nd w/c-section vs straight up scheduled c-section vs a successful VBAC. I don't know if there are stats out there for what you are asking. You would need to find someone that is an actuarial who could calculate all that out for you.

It is your birth, so you can and will do whatever you feel most comfortable doing. But don't assume I am attacking you just because I bring up some questions or have a different perspective. It is just the well-intentioned advice I offered when you posted on a public forum. You can take it or leave it and can't force someone to apologize because you disagree with the response.

Last edited by sunyflwr; 06-04-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyflwr View Post
In your original post, you didn't say that your DH was the one who is worried...you said that YOU are worried about something terrible happening during labor:

So I was simply pointing out that, like Ina May talks about in her Guide to Childbirth, that these types of feelings can keep labor from progressing. She has even seen cases where dilation goes backwards when a mom doesn't feel comfortable/gets anxiety/tenses during labor.

I never meant it in a snarky way at all. Sorry if I came off as such.

ETA: I guess I still just don't understand the logic of laboring through the 1st and 2nd stages if you and/or DH are worried about complications. Obviously if you propose this as an option you are learning towards, you must think there is benefit to doing such over a complete VBAC or scheduled section? It sounds like you want someone to calculate your risk of laboring 1st and 2nd w/c-section vs straight up scheduled c-section vs a successful VBAC. I don't know if there are stats out there for what you are asking. You would need to find someone that is an actuarial who could calculate all that out for you.

It is your birth, so you can and will do whatever you feel most comfortable doing. But don't assume I am attacking you just because I bring up some questions or have a different perspective. It is just the well-intentioned advice I offered when you posted on a public forum. You can take it or leave it and can't force someone to apologize because you disagree with the response.
I was attempting to clarify my mistakes and intentions, with my previous response.
As far as you understanding my logic, you are, again, assuming that this is my logic and that I have made this choice...as I stated earlier, I am trying to get perspectives from a large group, not judge or be judged. I did not assume you were attacking me with your comment, I merely thought it sounded snarky and assuming. I do appreciate your remorse over the way it may have sounded and believe that you may not have intended it to be off-putting.
As far as finding someone (called an actuary) to calculate my risks, even if this was my goal (which it is not), I am certain that this would be over-reactive instead of proactive or even close to what I want. If you can remember, my purpose is to open a convo about this topic and different options for someone in my situation (I do not believe I am alone, either) so I can have new ideas and questions to ask my OB. My situation is simple, I am a mother of 3 (two nieces I have custody of, 1 bio-son via csection due to fetal macrosoma (large baby)) and like all mothers (and fathers) I want to make a decision that is safe and accommodates my wants as well as the needs of everyone in my family. I am very sorry you were offended and misunderstood my intentions and comments, but this is the situation. If you do not have anything on topic and useful to contribute I would appreciate it if you would refrain from belittling me and my choices and/or potential choices (aka ideas, thoughts, questions, etc.). I posted on THIS forum b/c I have been reading several posts about VBAC and Csect's and thought that all of the people commenting and posting seemed open-minded and helpful, there was a wide array of opinions and ideas. This is exciting to me, as I am looking for other's insight and ideas to provoke questions to present to my OB and do some serious critical thinking of my own.

Again, I truly appreciate your time and interest in my situation and the difficult choices I have ahead of me. I hope you get all that you want from life. Thank you for the references to read as well. I have already ordered the literature and I cannot wait to read it.

As for anyone else who feels like commenting, I am not upset or offended by a difference of opinion, that IS WHY I am posting this here. I was only trying to say that I felt the comment was rude and not helpful the way it was worded. I doubt I will get any more activity on this thread now, and that is a shame. I am sure I am not alone with my situation and thoughts.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
sunyflwr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I was attempting to clarify my mistakes and intentions, with my previous response.
As far as you understanding my logic, you are, again, assuming that this is my logic and that I have made this choice...as I stated earlier, I am trying to get perspectives from a large group, not judge or be judged. I did not assume you were attacking me with your comment, I merely thought it sounded snarky and assuming. I do appreciate your remorse over the way it may have sounded and believe that you may not have intended it to be off-putting.
As far as finding someone (called an actuary) to calculate my risks, even if this was my goal (which it is not), I am certain that this would be over-reactive instead of proactive or even close to what I want. If you can remember, my purpose is to open a convo about this topic and different options for someone in my situation (I do not believe I am alone, either) so I can have new ideas and questions to ask my OB. My situation is simple, I am a mother of 3 (two nieces I have custody of, 1 bio-son via csection due to fetal macrosoma (large baby)) and like all mothers (and fathers) I want to make a decision that is safe and accommodates my wants as well as the needs of everyone in my family. I am very sorry you were offended and misunderstood my intentions and comments, but this is the situation. If you do not have anything on topic and useful to contribute I would appreciate it if you would refrain from belittling me and my choices and/or potential choices (aka ideas, thoughts, questions, etc.). I posted on THIS forum b/c I have been reading several posts about VBAC and Csect's and thought that all of the people commenting and posting seemed open-minded and helpful, there was a wide array of opinions and ideas. This is exciting to me, as I am looking for other's insight and ideas to provoke questions to present to my OB and do some serious critical thinking of my own.

Again, I truly appreciate your time and interest in my situation and the difficult choices I have ahead of me. I hope you get all that you want from life. Thank you for the references to read as well. I have already ordered the literature and I cannot wait to read it.

As for anyone else who feels like commenting, I am not upset or offended by a difference of opinion, that IS WHY I am posting this here. I was only trying to say that I felt the comment was rude and not helpful the way it was worded. I doubt I will get any more activity on this thread now, and that is a shame. I am sure I am not alone with my situation and thoughts.
You did assume that I could possibly be attacking you...why else did you request an apology from me?

Yup, I know what an actuary is. My brother is one. I am on my iPhone and it will finish words for me and occasionally I miss one that is incorrect.

I feel my posts have been on topic, and if they weren't on topic it was because you wanted me to address my statement which you felt was snarky. The purpose of my posts were not to belittle you! That is your issue if you take my posts as such. I just wanted to see if you would elaborate on your reasoning so maybe it could be better understood. Clearly, I did NOT interpret your initial post correctly and thought your fears were regarding THIS pregnancy/labor and not referring to your first pregnancy/c-section. So you can then disregard my posts since they are of no help in your current situation. You are wanting to experience labor with the end result of a c-section but DH is worried and wants a scheduled c-section, so you are trying to find a compromise - is that correct? If so, I have no advice since I was never in your shoes but hope someone else does and wish you luck.

Last edited by sunyflwr; 06-04-2012 at 04:01 PM.