Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

Covertible car seat

First time mom here!! My son is 6 1/2 months 21 pounds and 29 inches long. He has most outgrown the length on my carseat which is 32 inches (graco snug ride) and my husbands carseat ( baby trend ) which is 30 inches. Time for a new seat!!! Obviously he still needs to be rear facing. I have no idea what kind of carseat he is supposed to go into after the infant seat. Is it a convertible ? What are specs to look for when buying a carseat? Any brands or models you love and why. I don't want to spend a fortune!!

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.

Advertisement

Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Covertible car seat

It would help if you have a target budget to work with, as convertible seats are available in pretty much every price range from $40 to $500.

The more expensive seats are not proven to be more safe, but they usually have convenience features, nicer covers, that sort of thing.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference. So on these threads you'll always have people saying "I **love** by [whatever seat]!!" but what matters is what YOU love since you'll be the one using it for 4-5 (or possibly more) years. So, give a price range and we can tell you what some good options are, and then it's up to you to go to a store like Babies R Us and try them out to see what you like.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Ok first off, the height limits on car seats, unlike weight limits, are guidelines, since some babies are longer through the torso, and others are longer through the legs. What's important is seated height, so you're looking for an inch of hard shell over their head at least, so baby might have outgrown it already, or might have plenty of room to grow yet.

Yes, it's a convertible you're looking for, something that rear and forward faces. Avoid those that claim that they do rear and forward and booster mode as well, as they tend to not do any of the three as well as other seats that specialize more, particularly they make terrible boosters. And for a 21lbs 6 month old I'd be looking for something with at least a 40lbs rear facing weight to keep him RFing as long as possible. Options vary depending on budget - the costco scenara is a decent option if you're really cash poor as it's well under $100. With a little more money there's the Graco My Ride, which harnesses longer in forward facing mode, but some don't like how reclined it is as a forward facing seat. The Safety First Complete air is another option. The Britax convertibles are good seats, but a little pricier than average, and there's also the Diono Radians, which are narrow seats, but tall and have a 45lbs RFing limit. They can be a very difficult install though, so you might want to get confirmation that they can be installed well in your particular vehicles before springing for one.

I personally am a big fan of the first year's true fit, but I wouldn't recommend it to you, as your child is as big as mine was at the same age. The reason being is that she outgrew the RF weight limit too soon (not quite three) but at the time I purchased it, it was the high weight seat that was available in Canada at the time. There weren't 40 and 45lbs options at the time, as my little girl who was 21lbs at 6 months is now a ~42lbs 4.5 year old.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

Ok for budget I was thinking about 150. I think we are going to need two....one for each car? Or are they easily installable and would it be better to just get one and change from car to car. Im also thinking grandmas will need to use occasionally?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would get two. They can be easy to move, but moving them around a lot opens it up to errors in installation. As for your infant seat, if it is the Graco Snugride 32, I would say he has plenty of time in it. My DS is 8.5mths, 21lbs and 29". We have the Snugride 32 and he has several inches above his head and is nowhere near the weight limit. Your DS is probably close to outgrowing the Baby Trend, as they run smaller, IMO. That said, in your price range, I would consider the Britax Roundabout 55(about $150-160). These are easier to move if you need to put it in grandma's car occasionally. Another I would consider is the Graco My Ride and/or The First Years True Fit, which can be found for $150-160. Babies R Us has the Lamaze version of it for $160 right now, I believe.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you have a main vehicle you could get a main seat like a TrueFit, MyRide, etc. and then get Scenera for the cars you use less often. They are just as safe and you can get a 40lb weight limit RFing for under $40. Keeping seats installed is probably a better option. Less room for errors when installing.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
blesdfish
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
If you have a main vehicle you could get a main seat like a TrueFit, MyRide, etc. and then get Scenera for the cars you use less often. They are just as safe and you can get a 40lb weight limit RFing for under $40. Keeping seats installed is probably a better option. Less room for errors when installing.
I second this. I have love having a "spare" Scenera around for when I'm babysitting, I keep one installed in my van and in DH's suv. Anyway I agree with this as sceneras are easy to install and and kinda no-nonsense.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Ashlovespat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with Sceneras as spares...I'd at least get one for Grandma. Depending on how often baby is in the 2nd car (if not very often), I'd get one there too. We even have them as full time seats right now (since our others were in an accident so our backups became full-timers), but for your fulltime seat I'd look into Britax, Complete Airs and Myride...you can find them on sale many times. Go to a store that has them on display, look at them, put baby in them, and try them in your car/s and see what you like best!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

Ok thanks for all the help !!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

I'm having a hard time finding places with sceneras in boyish prints instock !!

Last edited by Chibirsd; 04-20-2012 at 01:32 PM.