Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
TwinMommaplus2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cloth and working mommas?

A few of my girlfriends are hesitant to switch to cloth because "they work full time" I dont really have a rebuttle to that considering Im a SAHM.... anyone work and CD? Whats your response to this?
Id love to have a happy medium solution for these mommas...

Advertisement

Motherhood is not a hobby, its a calling, you do not collect children because they are cuter than stamps, Its not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, its what god gave you time for. ~E. Anderson

Last edited by TwinMommaplus2; 04-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
TwinMommaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cloth and working mommas?

Yup. I work full time and use cloth. The big issue is having a daycare who is willing to use cloth. We are the first family to ever use cloth at our daycare center, but when I asked them if they would use it they were totally cool with it. I brought one of the diapers in with me when I asked, so that they could see what I was talking about -- most people hear "cloth diaper" and think prefolds with pins and rubber pants. So if they are interested in doing it, they first need to clear it with their daycare. If their daycare will do it, then they should plan on a one-piece diaper -- either an all in one or a pocket. I bring 5 diapers each day, with a large drawstring wet bag. We take all dirties and cleans home at the end of the day. We do use sposie wipes, as I just don't think I personally want to deal with bringing wipes every day. When we get home, I take the dirties out of the wet bag and put in our diaper pail -- the daycare does not clean out any poopy diapers, but that doesn't bother me. I just clean them off before putting in our diaper pail. We used Fuzzi Bunz when we first started, then switched to Bottombumpers. Some people say their daycares will only use aplix dipes, but I can't stand aplix, and our daycare doesn't have any problems using snaps.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I work and use cloth. But, I had a cloth fail with my ODS.

Why I think it worked this time:
-I started cloth during my maternity leave - allowed me to get my routine dialed in before heading back to work.
-I use cloth full time. Part time wasn't working for me because I wasn't getting full loads, and didn't really have a good schedule. Now I use cloth at day care and wash T, TH, and Sunday.
-I am fully committed. With my ODS, I spent $80 on 10 diapers from a friend who made diapers. I didn't really know anything else was out here. OMgoodness, I thought that was a ton of money to spend on diapers, so I really wasn't going to spend any more if I was only doing it evenings and weekends. But 10 diapers really isn't enough for a full weekend. And my friends diapers were more like a fitted, and I didn't know you needed covers, and I had leaks. And, it was sized, and just about the time I was figuring it out, he was ready for the next size, and I wasn't about to spend more money on something that really wasn't working.
This go round, I have invested in diapers that work, and am committed to making it work. Last time it was all about saving money, this time it is more about using less chemicals, having less blow out, and loving adorable girly fluff.
-I bought a diaper sprayer. Seriously. Only way to deal with real poo. Plus I started on EBF poo this time, which is a lot easier to deal with than real poo (started my DS at 9 months).
-I found Diaperswappers. Good, bad and ugly. It has been really nice to be able to get support, help with washing and advice. Bad for my pp.

Ultimately, if your friends aren't interested, chances are it won't work for them. But do let them know it is possible. And if DCP is supportive, cloth at daycare is super easy. Like PP said, I just use two wetbags a day, one for clean one for dirty.
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
betsybikes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

BTW, what diapers are in your avatar? Too cute!!
betsybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I cd part time. I work mon through thurs. my dcp won't use cloth so we do do sposies there. I use two diapers each night and full time on the weekend. It's not the perfect situation but it works for us!!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules View Post
Yup. I work full time and use cloth. The big issue is having a daycare who is willing to use cloth. We are the first family to ever use cloth at our daycare center, but when I asked them if they would use it they were totally cool with it. I brought one of the diapers in with me when I asked, so that they could see what I was talking about -- most people hear "cloth diaper" and think prefolds with pins and rubber pants. So if they are interested in doing it, they first need to clear it with their daycare. If their daycare will do it, then they should plan on a one-piece diaper -- either an all in one or a pocket. I bring 5 diapers each day, with a large drawstring wet bag. We take all dirties and cleans home at the end of the day. We do use sposie wipes, as I just don't think I personally want to deal with bringing wipes every day. When we get home, I take the dirties out of the wet bag and put in our diaper pail -- the daycare does not clean out any poopy diapers, but that doesn't bother me. I just clean them off before putting in our diaper pail. We used Fuzzi Bunz when we first started, then switched to Bottombumpers. Some people say their daycares will only use aplix dipes, but I can't stand aplix, and our daycare doesn't have any problems using snaps.
Ditto what she said except our daycare hates snaps. We use a mix of BG 4.0's and Blueberry pockets. We have found that AIO's are just not reliable enough for daycare (leaks, absorbancy). Also, my DCP likes to use the flushable liners so and she is so kind as to flush the poop for us. She does not rince the diapers though.

I work full time and am gone from 6:30 - 5 everyday. I wash every 2 or 3 days. On Monday I send a weeks worth of diapers to daycare and a fresh wetbag daily. Works great. My DCP gets excited to see new diapers (she's a secret fluff addict too, but lives though me!)
Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another working mama here and we have the extra challenge of communal laundry in our apartment building. Our home-based daycare has no issue with cloth (there's already one boy in PFs and covers) but there are only six kids total. We send BGEs (usually 12+ at once, right after laundry) and a hanging wetbag. So far so good on that front! I broached the subject on a day baby had a blowout at day care by saying that we were going to try cloth at home because I heard that they were more reliable, and the DCP responded that they're happy to use them as well.

I think for me the biggest issue is time for laundry (especially since we don't have our own washer and dryer). Fortunately my husband is great about helping out (he actually changes way more dipes than I do because of our schedules AND ends up doing much of the laundry). Generally we take turns going to the laundry room do add detergent and quarters, move to the dryer, etc (just depends on who's taking care of the baby at the moment).

It's certainly more work but we're happy with the decision, though before we switched the hubby was VERY skeptical. While I would never try to shove cloth down anyone's throat, I think our two reasons for switching could be very typical motivations for working parents: 1) I got sick of seeing all of the waste associated with disposable diapers (sometimes only worn for five minutes!); 2) we had so many blowouts with disposables (1-2x per day) that I decided it would be better to wash poop out of diapers than spend so much time and effort washing poop out of baby's clothes, my clothes and even our sheets!
meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes I work full time and use cloth and have with both kids. It's super easy- just bring some dipes to daycare (I do enough for 2-3 days), then come back to me in a wet bag. I wash every 2-3 days in the evenings/weekends. Not any harder than sposies if the daycare will do it.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Actually both my DH and I work from home full time. We own 2 small businesses and it insanely busy at times. We have 2 in diapers right now and both wear cloth 100% of the time. Our 4yo is delayed and wears Huggies pullups though, I just can't handle washing his diapers (yuck!).

To keep it easy, we have stuck with natural fibers AIOs only (BGEs and Grovia AIOs) and have a washing schedule of M/W/F nights only. We don't keep extra diapers around because it just makes it cluttered and stressful. Since we have easy to wash diapers that only take one cycle and don't require folding it makes it totally manageable.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed by the Moon View Post
Yes I work full time and use cloth and have with both kids. It's super easy- just bring some dipes to daycare (I do enough for 2-3 days), then come back to me in a wet bag. I wash every 2-3 days in the evenings/weekends. Not any harder than sposies if the daycare will do it.
Yeah and let's not forget that on top of working full time and cloth diaper, you run an online CD store as well!!!!!