Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
DevotedAuntie
Registered Users

Do we need to be boiling bottles and nipples?

Baby K will be 5 weeks old Monday, at about 3 weeks she got thrush and since then we've boiled all of her nipples, pacifiers, etc. before then we didn't boil them. They were always washed in hot soapy water and rinsed well, and we didn't really see the need to boil them. Today I was talking to one of my best friends and he says that we needed to be boiling them, and that the reason baby got thrush is because we hadn't been. We're going to boil everything until the thrush is gone (it was caught very early and looks like its gone now but she still has several days of meds left) then we are just going to replace it all but is it really necessary to boil bottles and nipples?

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

In the hospital they said to sanitize daily. I was pumping then, now use formula but still sanitize (dishwasher) daily.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Do we need to be boiling bottles and nipples?

Personally I would do during a thrush outbreak, just to break the cycle. But after that I wouldn't be sterilising anything.

http://babyparenting.about.com/od/nu...lizebottle.htm

It's old advice from when we had poor sanitation in general and water quality was not what it is today. Sterilise when you get new bottles, and when there is illness, but aside from that, hot soapy water or a dishwasher is perfectly adequate....
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #4
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
With both my girls I never did. I used the dishwasher, and dried useing the heat setting. With that said we never had thrush. I hope that helps. If you use the diswasher with the heat dry, you are sterilizing.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I only did after illness, and occasionally otherwise ...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I always just soak in hot soapy water and then scrub with the nipple brush. So far, so good
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

Anal mom here. I used the countertop sterilizer till about 18 months. If it didn't crap out on me I'd still be using it (they replaced it once). I just threw all the bottles in there after washing and did a pacifier collection (I had 6-8 at a time) and did them 1-2 times a day. When they are that little, its better to be safe. I'd do it for at least six months but that's just me.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
DevotedAuntie
Registered Users

We are boiling everything now for sure, after she's in the clear with the thrush and we replace everything we may stick to the dishwasher from now on. We have a brand new dishwasher which everything except her bottles go in because I read somewhere (I honestly cannot remember where) that it would damage them. I have kept her bottles and stuff separate and washed them by hand. Sounds like maybe the best plan is to stop doing that, at least with the nipples anyway. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

I put sippy's in the dishwasher but I found that the bottles would get warped and we don't run our dishwasher daily, which is why I went to the sterilizer.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac & Cheeses mom View Post
With both my girls I never did. I used the dishwasher, and dried useing the heat setting. With that said we never had thrush. I hope that helps. If you use the diswasher with the heat dry, you are sterilizing.
Yes, but only if you have a sanitizing cycle on the dishwasher and are using that cycle.

Our ped. recommended sterilizing bottles until 3 months unless using the sanitizing dishwasher cycle. We found those Medela microwave sterilizer bags to be the easiest way to do it.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote