Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Prodromal Labor

I'm 39 something weeks and have been having a lot of off and on prodromal labor. It left for a bit and is now back and always hits at night. Last night I actually got hopeful because it had returned after the break, but there is no baby or labor happening anymore.

Is there anything I can do to actually get things moving and keep it up and going? I'm just so sick of it and am currently sleep deprived because it kept me up for a bit.

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prodromal Labor

I'm not sure how encouraging this is but i went through the same thing with DD2. There were 3 times that I really thought i was in labor, timing contractions that were regular and pretty intense contractions. I was 4 cm dilated for the last 3 wks of pregnancy. My DD2 was 8 days past her due date. But I had a quick labor! I think that you might find yourself having a quick labor and delivery too. I think thats the point off "false" labor. To me its not false, its like a lot off mini laborings working up to the big day. If that makes sense. There's not much you can do to speed it up. Nipple stimulation is something I've heard people recommend but I think it ends up causing more contractions rather than labor. The last weeks were the toughest for me, hang in there. Soon you'll have a baby in your arms!
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass View Post
I'm not sure how encouraging this is but i went through the same thing with DD2. There were 3 times that I really thought i was in labor, timing contractions that were regular and pretty intense contractions. I was 4 cm dilated for the last 3 wks of pregnancy. My DD2 was 8 days past her due date. But I had a quick labor! I think that you might find yourself having a quick labor and delivery too. I think thats the point off "false" labor. To me its not false, its like a lot off mini laborings working up to the big day. If that makes sense. There's not much you can do to speed it up. Nipple stimulation is something I've heard people recommend but I think it ends up causing more contractions rather than labor. The last weeks were the toughest for me, hang in there. Soon you'll have a baby in your arms!
Thanks. I know my Oma (German for Grandma) went through the same thing with her second baby. It is so draining though and I was so hoping it wouldn't go this route. I didn't have anything like this with DS and he came just shy of 39 weeks. I'm planning on asking for a membrane sweep when I go in on Wednesday in hopes it might do something if my body is actually ready. The last ultrasound showed everything was just fine and DD was in the right position and all. So I know it's not malposition or some emotional issue I'm struggling with. If anything I'm struggling with the irritation of prodromal labor and the strong desire to hold her in my arms so I sincerely doubt those are holding back labor.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had two weeks of off and on with DD. at 39 weeks you can ask your doc or mw to strip your membranes. Also sex, evening primrose oil, nipple stimulation, lots of activity are all ways to get things going. These natural induction techniques however won't help if baby just isn't ready. Good luck mama!

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycass View Post
Me too. Weeks of prodromal labor, several times of really thinking "this is it!" just to have the contractions stop when I rested... it was SO exhausting. At 38w4d I went in to my midwife so miserable that she checked me and I was at a 4. She stripped my membranes and told me that if I wanted to try the OJ and castor oil combo we'd probably have a baby that night. I went home and took it, at noon and at 2:00. By three I started having contractions but totally ignorable. At four I had my first one that I knew was "real". Then everything just slammed into high gear and I went into serious labor FAST. DS was born less than 90 minutes later.

It definitely wasn't "false" labor for me either, it was just getting some of the work done early. The castor oil was absolutely no big deal for me, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Yes, I had to park it near the bathroom and watch a movie for a few hours so I could visit the toilet every twenty minutes, but I was SO miserable that it was well worth it. Hugs mama, I remember how bad that was-- baby will be here soon!
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs

Last edited by MacMama; 04-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
blueone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I plan on asking for a membrane sweep when I go in on Wednesday. My doula is sort of against it, but I'm tired. I don't drink alcohol (she suggested a bit of wine to relax as it's been known to help those who can't relax) and I sleep fine when I'm not waking due to minor contractions or DS waking me. It's not a lot of intolerable pain either, just irritating and draining emotionally more than physically. I know I've dilated too.

Either way, maybe this storm coming in will get things moving...I've been feeling off since last night, but who knows. Either way I'm getting a membrane sweep on Wednesday if DD isn't here by then.

I'm afraid to try castor oil...lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueone View Post
I plan on asking for a membrane sweep when I go in on Wednesday. My doula is sort of against it, but I'm tired. I don't drink alcohol (she suggested a bit of wine to relax as it's been known to help those who can't relax) and I sleep fine when I'm not waking due to minor contractions or DS waking me. It's not a lot of intolerable pain either, just irritating and draining emotionally more than physically. I know I've dilated too.

Either way, maybe this storm coming in will get things moving...I've been feeling off since last night, but who knows. Either way I'm getting a membrane sweep on Wednesday if DD isn't here by then.

I'm afraid to try castor oil...lol.
Hopefully the storm will bring on labor. I was up for hours each night with contractions, so I was at the end of my rope.
You'll be holding that sweet baby soon mama!
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had 2 full days of prodromal labor with both my kids, with them born on the third day. The first time I kept going to the hospital and they kept sending me home. I took castor oil and it sucked, and didn't speed things up too much, just made me poop a lot. With my second I just kind of did whatever I could to chill out. Took a bath, did some nipple stim, and DTD to try to help it along. Tried not to worry or stress. In the end both labors were equally long. It just happens sometimes. If you really can't sleep, you might want to take something to help if youre comfortable with that. Otherwise, my only advice is to try to relax and let your body do what it does. I know it's much easier said than done. Hoping this means a fast active labor for you.
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Sex has worked for me everytime! When I start getting prodromal labor I know I am close and hubby can throw me into full blown labor everytime....
He feels like such a man too.....lol