Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
JustSomeChickVee
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,662
where is the poop??

after fighting with EPing and breast infections, a fourth infection started to creep up on me (while still on antibiotics for infection #3,) a few days ago and i decided that the time has come for me to throw the towel in. between the pain and sitting around pissed off all day pumping, i just wasn't able to enjoy time with DS anywhere near enough and i was just in such a bad mood all time. he has been on Earth's Best formula for 3 days and he has only been pooping like once a day since the switch! Is that just his body adjusting to the change or something more?

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar's Avatar
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,262
Re: where is the poop??

I swear I am not stalking you, lol. I think one of the last threads I commented on was yours?

My FF baby only poops one or twice a day. This is very common. One of the perks to FF! My pediatrician said that if he goes a few days in a row without pooping or it seems like the poop was difficult to get out you can do a splash of pear or prune juice in one bottle one day and then you will see it come.
__________________
Andrea
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Palooka's Avatar
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,449
My Mood:
Re: where is the poop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
My FF baby only poops one or twice a day. This is very common. One of the perks to FF! My pediatrician said that if he goes a few days in a row without pooping or it seems like the poop was difficult to get out you can do a splash of pear or prune juice in one bottle one day and then you will see it come.


Also I think you can get sorbitol drops (it's what's naturally in pears and prunes) to mix with formula if babe seems painfully constipated. But the formula-fed babes I've watched didn't have a whole lot of BMs either.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
JustSomeChickVee
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,662
Re: where is the poop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
I swear I am not stalking you, lol. I think one of the last threads I commented on was yours?

My FF baby only poops one or twice a day. This is very common. One of the perks to FF! My pediatrician said that if he goes a few days in a row without pooping or it seems like the poop was difficult to get out you can do a splash of pear or prune juice in one bottle one day and then you will see it come.
i might do that because he does seem kind of frustrated.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
pcjs's Avatar
pcjs
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,206
Re: where is the poop??

It is common with some formulas and it could be constipation. We found that the Gerbers (liquid glass jar) made our son poop so we'd do 3 oz or so a day of that. At one point, we went to prune puree (first in cereal and then alone just don't over do it) and then later some prune juice watered down (that was the only time we did juice0.
__________________
Mom to my wonderfully sweet toddler who is the joy of our lives. :
pcjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,852
My Mood:
Re: where is the poop??

Totally within the range of normal for FF babies to only poop once a day. Also normal for them to push a little harder than BF babies.

The key is what the poo looks like. More solid is normal. It's hard (not just firm, but like rabbit pellets) that indicates constipation.

If that's happening, check with his doctor. Ours recommended adding a teaspoon of organic apple or pear juice per ounce of formula to baby's bottle. Once he's old enough for solids, baby food prunes or pears works well.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar's Avatar
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,262
Re: where is the poop??

Also, since the containers of the organic pear and prune juice at whole foods and such come in large containers, we were only using maybe a quarter of it per constipation episode and then having to throw the rest away because you are supposed to use within a week or so of opening. I also never had any when I needed it.

I started to freeze the juice in ice cube trays instead of throwing out the rest. Now I just pop out a couple cubes for the day and let them thaw in the fridge. I always have some now when I need it. My baby only seems to poop rabbit pellets at around 5am when no stores are open anyways
__________________
Andrea
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
JustSomeChickVee
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,662
Re: where is the poop??

Thanks for the advice! i added some prune juice to his bottle two days ago and it helped him poop. it wasn't hard either, just extra smelly lmao! but he didn't go today (yet.)
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
treegirl75's Avatar
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,825
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
Also, since the containers of the organic pear and prune juice at whole foods and such come in large containers, we were only using maybe a quarter of it per constipation episode and then having to throw the rest away because you are supposed to use within a week or so of opening. I also never had any when I needed it.

I started to freeze the juice in ice cube trays instead of throwing out the rest. Now I just pop out a couple cubes for the day and let them thaw in the fridge. I always have some now when I need it. My baby only seems to poop rabbit pellets at around 5am when no stores are open anyways
I didn't even think of freezing it! I wasted almost a whole jug of prune juice, and that stuff is not cheap!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
__________________
Beth, "crunchier-by-the-minute" wife to Eric (9-23-06) , and mom to Mama's Boy B (2-21-09) and baby girl N (1-11-12)
www.facebook.com/sweetbstitches
treegirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
stayinhomewithmy6's Avatar
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,860
My Mood:
Re: where is the poop??

Hi mama, I can completely relate to your BF/EP'ing experience... very very similar to my own. When I started DD on formula, we were using Baby's Only Dairy and she was having hard little poops, and not even every day. Other than that, she was tolerating the formula just fine. I decided to try the Lactose Free version just for the heck of it. It helped her poops immediately, so we have now switched to it completely. If there is a Lactose Free version of Earth's Best, it wouldn't hurt to try it.
__________________
Proud Mama to 4 boys and 2 girls!
STORE CLOSING SALE! 10% off all in stock knits!
Squeezy Baby Knits.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.