Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

where is the poop??

after fighting with EPing and breast infections, a fourth infection started to creep up on me (while still on antibiotics for infection #3,) a few days ago and i decided that the time has come for me to throw the towel in. between the pain and sitting around pissed off all day pumping, i just wasn't able to enjoy time with DS anywhere near enough and i was just in such a bad mood all time. he has been on Earth's Best formula for 3 days and he has only been pooping like once a day since the switch! Is that just his body adjusting to the change or something more?

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: where is the poop??

I swear I am not stalking you, lol. I think one of the last threads I commented on was yours?

My FF baby only poops one or twice a day. This is very common. One of the perks to FF! My pediatrician said that if he goes a few days in a row without pooping or it seems like the poop was difficult to get out you can do a splash of pear or prune juice in one bottle one day and then you will see it come.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
My FF baby only poops one or twice a day. This is very common. One of the perks to FF! My pediatrician said that if he goes a few days in a row without pooping or it seems like the poop was difficult to get out you can do a splash of pear or prune juice in one bottle one day and then you will see it come.

Also I think you can get sorbitol drops (it's what's naturally in pears and prunes) to mix with formula if babe seems painfully constipated. But the formula-fed babes I've watched didn't have a whole lot of BMs either.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
I swear I am not stalking you, lol. I think one of the last threads I commented on was yours?

i might do that because he does seem kind of frustrated.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

It is common with some formulas and it could be constipation. We found that the Gerbers (liquid glass jar) made our son poop so we'd do 3 oz or so a day of that. At one point, we went to prune puree (first in cereal and then alone just don't over do it) and then later some prune juice watered down (that was the only time we did juice0.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Totally within the range of normal for FF babies to only poop once a day. Also normal for them to push a little harder than BF babies.

The key is what the poo looks like. More solid is normal. It's hard (not just firm, but like rabbit pellets) that indicates constipation.

If that's happening, check with his doctor. Ours recommended adding a teaspoon of organic apple or pear juice per ounce of formula to baby's bottle. Once he's old enough for solids, baby food prunes or pears works well.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Also, since the containers of the organic pear and prune juice at whole foods and such come in large containers, we were only using maybe a quarter of it per constipation episode and then having to throw the rest away because you are supposed to use within a week or so of opening. I also never had any when I needed it.

I started to freeze the juice in ice cube trays instead of throwing out the rest. Now I just pop out a couple cubes for the day and let them thaw in the fridge. I always have some now when I need it. My baby only seems to poop rabbit pellets at around 5am when no stores are open anyways
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Thanks for the advice! i added some prune juice to his bottle two days ago and it helped him poop. it wasn't hard either, just extra smelly lmao! but he didn't go today (yet.)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar
Also, since the containers of the organic pear and prune juice at whole foods and such come in large containers, we were only using maybe a quarter of it per constipation episode and then having to throw the rest away because you are supposed to use within a week or so of opening. I also never had any when I needed it.

I started to freeze the juice in ice cube trays instead of throwing out the rest. Now I just pop out a couple cubes for the day and let them thaw in the fridge. I always have some now when I need it. My baby only seems to poop rabbit pellets at around 5am when no stores are open anyways
I didn't even think of freezing it! I wasted almost a whole jug of prune juice, and that stuff is not cheap!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama, I can completely relate to your BF/EP'ing experience... very very similar to my own. When I started DD on formula, we were using Baby's Only Dairy and she was having hard little poops, and not even every day. Other than that, she was tolerating the formula just fine. I decided to try the Lactose Free version just for the heck of it. It helped her poops immediately, so we have now switched to it completely. If there is a Lactose Free version of Earth's Best, it wouldn't hurt to try it.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote