Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastmilk Instead of Saline

Would once a day be considered too much?

Advertisement

Cleokatrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

yup - when DS was in level 2 nursery for 12 days the nurse/LC recommended using BM for his blocked tear duct - it cleared up almost instantly - I told my GP after he was out of the hospital and she was skeptical but at the next appt she had researched it and told me she would recommend BM all the time now!!!
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleokatrah View Post
Would once a day be considered too much?
It's more of a volume thing than how often you do it. If you squirt half an ounce up their nose all at once, it would be hard to handle in one or two swallows, so they could aspirate it. But if you take a little medicine dropper, one that holds just a few mls, that will be a small enough amount that it won't be an issue.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
It's more of a volume thing than how often you do it. If you squirt half an ounce up their nose all at once, it would be hard to handle in one or two swallows, so they could aspirate it. But if you take a little medicine dropper, one that holds just a few mls, that will be a small enough amount that it won't be an issue.
Yup, that's pretty much what I'm doing. Stingy/small eyedropper, a couple drops at a time. Doesn't seem to bother her at all.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I sprayed some breastmilk up my sons nose when he had a cold. I told my pediatrician and she rolled her eyes and told me to use saline drops. I'd rather have your pediatrician.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsatia23 View Post
I sprayed some breastmilk up my sons nose when he had a cold. I told my pediatrician and she rolled her eyes and told me to use saline drops. I'd rather have your pediatrician.
I am absolutely blessed to have the pediatric team that I do. It consists of one doctor and two nurses that have been practicing together for 34 years. They really promote kangaroo care, cosleeping, baby wearing, and all that. I LOVE them, and I have learned SO much. It's amazing.

As far as breastmilk goes, I'm gonna start putting this stuff in my bath water and using it for night cream. I'll let you all know when the reverse aging process begins
Old 04-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love that idea, and had heard it before, but having tried to aim bm up those tiny nostrils several times (often squirting myself in the face instead), I'm now a fan of the infant hydrosense/saline spray and the non-invasive snot-suckers (we have the Nose Freida kind).

I went bonkers with our first little one trying to use those useless & potentially harmful bulb aspirators!
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Cleokatrah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
I love that idea, and had heard it before, but having tried to aim bm up those tiny nostrils several times (often squirting myself in the face instead), I'm now a fan of the infant hydrosense/saline spray and the non-invasive snot-suckers (we have the Nose Freida kind).
I just squirt bm into my clean hand then use the eyedropper to gether and administer it. Doesn't take up too much extra time, and she doesn't squirm and fuss like she does with saline drops. I'm guessing it's because it's a familiar smell to her.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleokatrah View Post
I just squirt bm into my clean hand then use the eyedropper to gether and administer it. Doesn't take up too much extra time, and she doesn't squirm and fuss like she does with saline drops. I'm guessing it's because it's a familiar smell to her.
Hadn't thought to try it that way - will do next time the dreaded colds hit!
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

I had a weird fungal infection on my belly for the last three months of my pregnancy (I live in the tropics) and I tried everything to get rid of it. I started putting breast milk on it after DS was born, it was gone in a few days. Amazing stuff!