View Poll Results: When did you first take your newborn out in public?
within the first week 184 69.70%
between weeks 1 and 2 43 16.29%
between weeks 2 and 3 16 6.06%
around 1 month 14 5.30%
later than 1 month 16 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #111
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When would you take a newborn out in public?

I like to stay home for a few days, but like to do short outings so I don't go nuts. With a couple of my kids, I remember going out to eat within the first week. Usually around 1 week old, I'll do a short grocery trip or Target, etc. (I remember when I had our first daughter after 2 sons, I couldn't wait to go to the store to look at pink, girly things!)
We went to a beach about an hour from home when youngest dd was 2 weeks old. It was wonderful at the beach--stayed under a huge umbrella or put her in the solarveil sling--the drive there and back were tough though--she hated her carseat!

I try to take it easy as much as possible though interspersed with the outings. Otherwise the postpartum bleeding seems to really pick up--ugh. My body definitely tells me when it's doing too much!

Advertisement

dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #112
___Krystal_
Registered Users

My Mood:

Depends what season my little ones were born in. My winter baby didn't go out right away because it was super cold when he was born. I remember a snow storm the night I went in to have him. My summer baby was out the day we got home because it was so nice and we went for a nice little walk to get some fresh air after being in the hospital for 24 hours.

I Blog follow my daily life as a SAHM. I Earn Free Amazon GC With Swagbucks
___Krystal_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #113
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my son we had to stop at walmart to pick up a few things on the way to spend a week at my mom's the day we were out of the hospital. So he was 3 days old the first time he was in public. With my daughter we went out for family dinner when she was 3 days old, the day after we were home from the hospital. It was DH's birthday dinner and she was only around close family then at 9 days we went to our first leche league meeting with her. This time around this baby will be out in public too as I have to take DS to and from preschool everyday anyways.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #114
Zanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Vietnamese and Chinese culture are typically very strict with postpartum care - with at least 30 days with very little activity for both the mother and the child, including not leaving the house. With a Vietnamese mom and a DH who is an acupuncturist, DS and I were under very strict care to stay as true as possible to the parameters of the "sitting month." With DS #2, I plan on doing the same.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #115
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think if they're in a wrap, not being held by anyone else and they're breastfed, there's no need to wait a month. I think 2 weeks is fine. And the beach even more so because it's so open and the air is clean.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #116
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My older two kids had to be back at the hospital for check-ups at 4 days, and we stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home. With my youngest, she had to go back at 3 days for her check (jaundice) and we stopped then. It will probably be the same with this baby.
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #117
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

They were both out within a few days. I really don't even understand the logistics of staying in. How does that actually work? I have to get things done. They both needed follow-ups with the Ped. at about 3-5 days old. We needed to go grocery shopping, errands etc. We don't have any family here so either we do it or it doesn't get done. My newborns are almost always wrapped on me, they don't get touched by strangers or really anyone else. We didn't have any family here until about a month after. I never even really considered not taking them out. Life has to go on. The older children have to eat and get outside LOL!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #118
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

depending on your definition of "public", we have gone to SIL for a big family dinner the day I got out of the hospital with each baby (dinner not connected to the new baby, just coincidence, so now I tell her she needs to plan a family dinner just after my due date so i know when I'm coming out of the hospital ) and with DS we left the same day he was born. We go to church the next Sunday, or whatever.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #119
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

We don't miss a beat. We went to a family reunion the day after our youngest got out of the hospital.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #120
psylion
Registered Users
seller

With my DD we went to babysrus on the way home from the hospital. She came early and we weren't really ready. Everyone says you'll go over with your first. She was six days old. We also went out for dim sum on the way home because we were hungry and nothing else was open. When the twins are born I will have to ate them out right away(assuming their not in the nicu) because DD will be in kindergarten and won't have another way of getting there. If you have a kid in school in the house I can't imagine anything worse that you'll find in public that what the kid will bring home. Plus if you can't go out, how do you get groceries? Everyone's gotta eat.

Last edited by psylion; 05-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.
psylion is offline   Reply With Quote