View Poll Results: When did you first take your newborn out in public?
within the first week 184 69.70%
between weeks 1 and 2 43 16.29%
between weeks 2 and 3 16 6.06%
around 1 month 14 5.30%
later than 1 month 16 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #121
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: When would you take a newborn out in public?

I take newbies out when *I* feel up to it. I don't care what others think or say.

Excluding doctor visits:

With DD, she ran errands with us at abt 3 days old. I was feeling good and wanted out of the house, so we all went with DH. She had outings every day-3days thereafter. I took her out by myself (without DH) around 6 days old.

With DS, I had post-partum Pre-e, was on bedrest, and couldn't even walk while carrying him, let alone drive. My mom, DH, and I took him for newborn pics at 3 days old, but after that, he didn't go out again until about 1 mth old (DH took him on an errand so DD could have some alone time with mommy). I didn't take him anywhere by myself until after 6 wks post-partum. (My Pre-e diagnosis was lifted at my 6wk appt).

I didn't vote.

S, mama to my 3rd grader, K (9/07) and my 1st grader, e (7/09) and married to my best friend, E (2007)
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #122
Registered Users
My Mood:

we had taken DD to the grocery store the day she was born
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #123
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
My Mood:

All three of ours have been out in the first week...actually, all have been out within a day or two of being born. I got home at supper-time with my first, after stopping at my job on the way home to show him off, then chilled at home that night, but was out for either lunch or supper (can't remember which) with my mom & hubby the next day. Mom left about 3 days after he was born and me & him both went with to drop her off at the airport an hour away. We were at church the day after that. DD was born on a Wednesday, we stopped at wal-mart on our way home to pick up a few things for me & her, then were at church on Sunday. I think we waited the longest with our youngest...we went to a school thing for DD the night we came home from the hospital, but I felt super rough (had pre-e and mag in the hospital, it was still working its way out of me and I felt like crap) and sat most of the time...didn't go out for a few days after that other than to drop the kids off at school and pick them up.
Brenna, all around AP'ing, trying to be crunchier, stay at home mama to Ash, Bryn, and our little Rebel Journey, wife to Nate
Come swag with me!! I've earned $75 in FREE Amazon gift cards just by searching
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #124
Registered Users
Formerly: azmansmom
My Mood:
Oh wow. I guess I'm a paranoid mama, cause both mine stayed in for the first 4 weeks..but I had help so I had a choice too.

Almost all typos provided care of my iPhones stupid auto correct
"Honesty without compassion is just unrestrained hostility..." ~ Kelly ~
Mother to Az-man (01/05) and Annie-Mayhem (12/11), Wife to Jon and Empress of the Home
~MamaMayhem~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #125
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
My Mood:

With my first 2, we stayed in for about 2-3 weeks. They were both winter babies though and it was super cold then. With DD, we were out and about within 2-3 days. We went hiking with her and both boys when she was about 8 days old and took her to the zoo with us at 2 weeks.
CDing, BWing, EBFing, geocaching, minimalist WAHM to my little lovies
Aaron (12/08) Hunter (01/10) Willow (03/12)
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #126
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
My Mood:

Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
less than 24 hrs usually, maybe a day or 2 if we don't have anything to do. I always wear them, so I am not worried about anyone touching them!
me too. Even of it's just a quick walk to the park, I need to get out almost every day with a newbie to keep me emotionally healthy.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #127
Registered Users
My Mood:

With DS1 and DS2, I was up and walking around within less than a week. DH had work (USN, Hayes Gray & Underway!) and school (college finals anyone?) so there wasn't anyone to grab prescriptions, get groceries, or do anything else for me. I just popped them into a car seat or stroller or SSC and off we went. Granted, I was moving pretty slow, but we still went. DS1 did a late afternoon Black Friday at Walmart even at 6 days because I'd not stocked the fridge and we were down to crackers & ketchup pretty much and that wasn't his first outing. DS2 did church at 6 days and that wasn't his first outing either. If it needed done, we went. Immunity through (limited) exposure!
Dorothy> and Hank> , proud parents to Bob> <Bill
ISO my sanity.
Did I mention that I've misplaced my sanity?
the_oz_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #128
Registered Users
My Mood:
With both of my children I was out within a couple of days of them being born. As soon as I felt I could handle it since they were both c/s. I took my oldest to the mall so I can walk, albeit slowly, and my youngest to wall mart I believe. Again so II can walk and not lose it. We live in a place that doesn't get too cold in the winter. My doc said I couldn't drive for 8 weeks but there was no time restrictions on the babies.
dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #129
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Zanne View Post
Vietnamese and Chinese culture are typically very strict with postpartum care - with at least 30 days with very little activity for both the mother and the child, including not leaving the house. With a Vietnamese mom and a DH who is an acupuncturist, DS and I were under very strict care to stay as true as possible to the parameters of the "sitting month." With DS #2, I plan on doing the same.
Glad I'm not alone! I cannot imagine going for a stroll the very next day after pushing a baby out lol.
Alex - Mama to three kiddos!

Last edited by beautifulboyz; 05-01-2012 at 02:16 PM.
beautifulboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #130
Registered Users

we took ds2 (our 3rd kid) to the state fair when he was 6 days old.i wore him the whole time.
jessieof5 is offline   Reply With Quote