View Poll Results: When did you first take your newborn out in public?
within the first week 184 69.70%
between weeks 1 and 2 43 16.29%
between weeks 2 and 3 16 6.06%
around 1 month 14 5.30%
later than 1 month 16 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
tasundance
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When would you take a newborn out in public?

Just bc I have a baby doesnt mean the world stops. I have other kids and things to do so baby goes out asap if needed. I went black friday shopping when my 4th was 2 days old. Its never been longer than 4 or 5 days after birth.

Advertisement

Tricia~29 Married for 11 years to Chad~34. Semi Crunchy mama to Aurora~10, Ethan~8, Jacob~6, Annika~3, Makenna~2, Niko James~1, and blessing #7 due 3/23/14
tasundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ped is a 6 minute walk away so I took my newborn there in my arms in July. Two busybodies were "concerned" and stopped me while on my way and returning. As if I was endangering him if he wasn't in some kind of gear.

The ped is the only indoor place I took him in the early months. When he was 2 weeks we took him to the harbor on a 2 hour cruise.

We recently took him to the supermarket for the first time at 9 months.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stayed in for about 6 weeks with my oldest. It was summer and he was healthy, so it wasn't too long (not the full 8 weeks suggested). My second son was born 35 weeks and spent a couple of days on the vent and twenty days in the hospital. It was flu season and rsv and he had weak lungs so we waited the full three months. His older brother was in preschool and our dr suggested we pull him out as he couldn't even handle a cold. We were very bored by the end of the three months. I waited about six weeks with our third. I am very overprotective with newborns.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my older two, I didn't stay in. I just went out whenever, or mostly allowed their dad to take them out if he wanted to. The doctors wanted me to keep the preemies at home for a while, though, so I was shut in with them for a long time.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were at the grocery store & Babies R Us when they were 5 days old.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I took dd out right on the one week marker. My mom was in town to help with the newborn and we went to the mall to get her a new phone.... I really regretted it coming home and starting HORRIBLE painful cramps. And honestly I felt really exposed too. Like I shouldn't have brought my 1 weeker into that crazy mall.

With ds the first time I bought him out it must have been within the first week.... we went to visit the people at my moms office (very briefly) and drive through somewhere for chicken
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am surprised anyone makes a point to keep their babies indoors...your house is much more 'toxic' than being out and about.

I took my most recent newbie out at 5 days old (Target but I would have definitely not hesitated to take her to the beach for some refreshing sea air and vitamin d in small doses). I had a natural vaginal delivery (my 4th) and by far the easiest recovery - I had to keep being forced by hubby and my BFF to settle down as my bleeding would increase. My body was ready to get back to normal life though

I didn't take my 1st out till she was 4wks but only because I was so deathly exhausted from complete lack of sleep, functioning in the world would have been nearly impossible before then. She was a December baby.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
crunch!910
Registered Users

I never realized that at any point it was wrong... you birth it in a hospital.... a pretty dirty place, what's the beef about taking your baby out to on errands, see family and friends, etc?

DS1 went with us to a wedding at 11 days old. Before that even we'd taken him to my mom's house to visit and we had other friends and family over as well. Of course he also went to pediatrician and WIC appointments.

DS2 went out at 5 days old to pediatrician appointment, a chiropractor appointment, and to the grooming shop to meet my coworkers and boss. We then went out again at 6 days old to WIC appointment, and afterword stopped by the veterinary office I had worked at for years (am not returning after maternity leave) for employer and coworkers to see baby.

Also, this Saturday DS2 will be 16 days old and my sister is hosting a "Meet the Baby" shower, and there were close to 30 invites sent out. They have a sink, and I think it's common sense to wash your hands before holding baby.. beyond that, I am not at all concerned about taking my 2 week old out.

The things that have been keeping me cooped up at home have been
1)cool weather
2)healing from csection
3)trying to recover from mastitis and blanching/milk blisters (anything but a loose fitting nurse tank is NOT going on these poor girls! I'm not sure when I'll be ready for a bra again!)

For me, its less about when I think baby is okay for going out (I don't there is any time "too early"??), it ismroe about when *I* am comfortable to go out. With breastfeeding, I like to be more comfortable and well practiced instead of struggling with any latch problems.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #29
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

We plan on taking our lo out the first week or so, I didn't know there were people who stayed at home for several weeks/months

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #30
pcjs
Registered Users

Day two but our situation was a bit different (but I probably would have done it the same way). We brought him to a hotel for three weeks so for the first three weeks. We ate out 1-2 times a day (and also brought food in - they had breakfast and encouraged us to take extra to store in the room given the situation as someone tried to snitch on us and the staff told them to mind their own business). We pretty much went to Walmart every day to every few days as it was the only thing around to get supplies as we had a car seat and a few other basics but that was it (funny how quickly you can shop). We saw some friends who lived about 25 minutes away (we needed a baby care class and she was an RN who did maternity stuff and they had some baby stuff for us). We also had a few people drive up and visit (we were only 90 minutes from home) but it was nice as we were pretty sheltered from visitors the first month+ given everything.

No one every looked at us funny or we were too tired and too much in shock to notice or care. Once we got home, it varied but we had a lot of shopping to do (I did some online and had it delivered).