Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone else dislike CDing a newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjlo View Post
I just started cloth on my 2 day old today and am hating prefolds and covers. They take too long to put on, and so far every cover has ended up messy and needing to be washed after one use. I am liking the pockets- FBs XS. And I think I will try an AIO tonight. Glad I'm not the only one!!!
Its so weird too because I absolutely loved my prefolds and covers from 10lbs on up. Pinned coverless with a tee-shirt in the summer!

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
tootsy_toes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love fitteds on newborns! I have used KLO's and Bummis SWW and that contained all those runny ebf poos!

Christ following wife to Andy , and Mama to N-bug ; J-bean ; and lady-K .

Blessed every day!
tootsy_toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

My babies are close to 9lbs, we used orange GMDs for ths first few weeks, now he's almost out of yellows at 3mo. I liked it! Jelly rolling a PF and a good cover with leg gussets, we never had leaks!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dh and I have decided not to use cloth in the beginning... It's probably a lazy decision but I want time to adjust to mommyhood before starting with cloth.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used KL0 fitteds and never once had poop get on the cover. Once I tried branching out to prefolds the poop got all over the inside of the cover, every time. I did enjoy it other than that though.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
Mercy24
Registered Users
seller
seller

I loved fitteds with pul covers. I never bothered to fold and pin a prefold on when he was a newb though, I'd just do a mock angel fold and put the cover over top.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamashhon View Post
My babies are close to 9lbs, we used orange GMDs for ths first few weeks, now he's almost out of yellows at 3mo. I liked it! Jelly rolling a PF and a good cover with leg gussets, we never had leaks!
Ditto - prefolds and flats are so adjustable, not sure how you can possibly get a better fit with AIOs?? Maybe a prefold-folding tutorial is in order? I am sorry to hear of so many moms having trouble. I was lucky enough to have a CDing friend show me how when I was pregnant, and I found it quite easy once I'd done it a few times. DH and I got sort of competitive with our technique - showing each other the massive lakes of poo that never even touched the cover, etc. Ha.

Anyway, I loved my GMD oranges and plan to use them again on the hypothetical/hopeful next baby. We went through TONS of diapers and it sure would break the bank to have 3 dozen NB AIOs or fitteds the way I had 3 dozen prefolds! Only to outgrow them within weeks! I like doing the exact same routine every time when I am exhausted, I become a robot zombie, so I will not be adding anything to my stash besides maybe a few covers.

Also, hated sposies. Leaks and rashes and garbage. Ugh. Definitely not easier, IME.
shen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I think I'm mostly just looking back at those first two weeks with the stinky cord. No amount of folding the diaper down kept that thing from staying moist. I probably needed more covers too.... I have a good year before I have make and newbie choices again though LOL.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
melissalaurel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
I HATED prefolds with my newborn. I would have seriously went to disposables if those were my only choice I sure did love fitteds though
Ditto!! I hated prefolds on my newborns and they are my favorite diaper for every other stage/size. My stash was all prefolds and a handful of fitteds/pockets for DS#4 and it was a disaster. I hated it and was so upset. With DS#5 I went with all fitteds and pockets (and I kept the prefolds but rarely used them) and was able to enjoy cd'ing him so much more.

mom to 5 boys and expecting a GIRL in January.
Melissa Laurel Fiber Artist
Ravelry profile: melissalaurel
melissalaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

How is the cord getting stinky? We started right away with our preemie and I folded everything down under the cord so nothing was touching it. We had to do that with disposables too. Preemie prefolds were awesome. But things fit babies differently so I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It might work next time with a different body type and different covers maybe.

Personally having done both now (did sposies on DS at birth and CD at birth with DD) we found cloth to work SO much better. Zero blowouts with our prefolds and covers. With a good jelly roll the poop rarely even got on the cover. We're using the exact same system again in a few months. I would say that a basic fitted (workhorse, Snugglebottom) under wool or fleece might be an option for you so the cord gets air circulation.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote