Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone else dislike CDing a newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherMoonPads View Post
I HATED prefolds with my newborn. I would have seriously went to disposables if those were my only choice I sure did love fitteds though
Same here, loveddddd fitteds.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #22
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

My youngest son is 16 months old now and we successfully CDed him in prefolds, flats and covers as a newbie; I just didn't like it. I'm thinking about this now because I have friends who are on their first baby and asking me about CDing. Honestly I would have thrown in the towel if it was my first baby. There is so much happening when you have your first baby diapers that fit awkwardly wouldn't have made it very long.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
dannic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
Ditto - prefolds and flats are so adjustable, not sure how you can possibly get a better fit with AIOs?? Maybe a prefold-folding tutorial is in order? I am sorry to hear of so many moms having trouble. I was lucky enough to have a CDing friend show me how when I was pregnant, and I found it quite easy once I'd done it a few times. DH and I got sort of competitive with our technique - showing each other the massive lakes of poo that never even touched the cover, etc. Ha.

Anyway, I loved my GMD oranges and plan to use them again on the hypothetical/hopeful next baby. We went through TONS of diapers and it sure would break the bank to have 3 dozen NB AIOs or fitteds the way I had 3 dozen prefolds! Only to outgrow them within weeks! I like doing the exact same routine every time when I am exhausted, I become a robot zombie, so I will not be adding anything to my stash besides maybe a few covers.

Also, hated sposies. Leaks and rashes and garbage. Ugh. Definitely not easier, IME.
I loved coth diapering in the nb stage! Esp. PF and covers. I hardly EVER had a leak except when I put him in a sposie--I'd rather deal with poo on a cover than poo on the clothes...I figured that's what they are for.
But I wouldn't want stinky cord, either, OP.
dannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I liked CD'ing my newborn for the most part but all I used on my first daughter was prefolds and covers so I never got to enjoy anything else with her.

The second time I CD'ed a newborn I feel like I messed up. She came early, unexpectedly, and was tiny. My stash was all over the place and I was trying to use infant size prefolds on a teeny tiny baby. After that I got some preemie prefolds, which fit her great as far as size goes but were totally useless as far as absorbency goes - I'm talking paper thin. The covers I had swallowed her, too. But once she hit about 8 pounds (finally) I started to enjoy it more. I do wish I had put more thought/planning into it. I didn't even start buying anything for her til January and she came pretty suddenly in February.

With my next baby I think I will have a good newborn stash and I'll really enjoy it. So far I've got 9 x-small AIOs, 2 covers and 7 nb fitteds, with 1 more nb fitted and 1 dozen nb prefolds on the way. I'm going to get 1 more AIO, 4 more covers and 2 more fitteds, then I'll be done and I'll start working on my size small stash.

Last edited by Almacham; 04-22-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
momofairforcebrats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Used fitteds or prefolds with wool on newbie last time. Will again this time. I found scooped diapers better than snap down in keeping cord dry. Never had a cord stink so not sure about that.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #26
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't like it either time. Both girls were so small stuff didn't fit right and we had leaks at night while already not sleeping. Looking back I should have started with disposables which I ended up using mostly on DD2 for the first 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I loved cloth-diapering Baby #2 .. we used GMD Oranges and Osocozy Flats He was EBF but with my jellyrolling we never had an explosion out of the cover and I had so many covers that I didn't reuse covers ........ I don't like reusing covers personally even when I had the flip system for both my boys we had equal # covers and inserts and I just used them as all in twos I just enjoy the easy washing versus AIOs/Pockets.

I am way overstocked but I have around 50 covers for the squish OTW (Nb,Sm,OS) ... I really dont like reusing covers and even though I am going with prefolds/flats/and millions of covers its cheaper than a AIO stash and will be much less stressful for me !!

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #28
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7
We went through TONS of diapers and it sure would break the bank to have 3 dozen NB AIOs or fitteds the way I had 3 dozen prefolds! Only to outgrow them within weeks!
I didn't start cloth until DD was 13mo but for next time I found an awesome newborn rental from Kissed by the Moon. For up to 24 Swaddlebees Simplex NB AIOs it's only $55 for 2 months after your deposit refund. I want to do that, and get either prefolds or fitteds for extras.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

we had a crazy start with my newest from nicu stays to me being in the hospital and adjusting to 4 i didnt get much use out of our nb stash. I love how trim nb sposies are and cant stand when the legs are really pushed out which most diapers that need a cover cause. I used little joeys and xb bg and nb grovia the most till he flood them out so sposies it mostly was till about 4 weeks ago
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
blackberry75
Registered Users

With my son, using PF almost made me quit CD altogether. Leaks, blowouts, the bulk, etc. This time I mostly used AIO at home and disposables at night/outtings. Much better, for us anyway. Now that Bean is almost 10lbs, she's just about outgrown the AIO but the PF fit much better now. I have to agree that the NB phase is akward, though we didn't have any cord issues with either kid. Both cords fell off really early, we're just luck I guess.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote