Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Monday!!!

I know this will seem really silly and odd but Iím going to say it anyway.

Iím celebrating a win in a fail.

I just got home from work. I got told off at work today, not by my shop bossÖbut by the regional manager. Thatís a pretty big telling off. There were three people there.

I was told off about my ďtemper tantrums in EnglishĒ, my turning up ďminutes before work time startsĒ and my saying that doing something extra that wasnít in my job description till now would mean Iíd be slower. Oh and then the issue of Du and Sie.

I said nothing.
I listened.
I didnít argue.
I didnít try to defend myself or say they were wrong.

I did say I take everything said on board and that I would do my best to improve.

Apparently anything I say in English could be taken as an insult to others around me that dont speak EnglishÖ.Even if Iíve only said to the box that is twisted to get in there. Ok, I will try harder not to speak to the produce in English.

I was told that if I arrive on time my mind is elsewhere and that Iím not focused on my work. That because I have 4 children Iím thinking about if Iíve given them everything they need for school. Today is the very first time I arrived dead on time for work. Every other day I was at least 30 minutes early. Sometime even more than that. Today was a one off and my shop boss (who was there) knows that and he said nothing to defend me either.

The issue of doing things extra. I stupidly thought that if I said Iím happy to do that extra thing but that it may cause me to be a bit slower was ok to say. I didnít mean it in a bad way, I just wanted it understood. That was the wrong thing to do. Apparently they just want yes-men and Łber positive people who say nothing other than Ok, Iíll get right on that. Well ok, Iíll get right on that

The Du and Sie issueÖ.Iím going to have to work on that. Stick to the minimal amount said and try hard to not mess up. Germans are difficult to talk to.

Anyway the win is that I didnít interrupt, I held my tongue. Iím not spassing about it now, and that Iím not angry that I got told off.

Thatís the winÖand itís a huge win. Iíve never managed that!

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmommy1 View Post
Janine what is a 3 in 1 brownie maker? I really want to make some beef veggie barley soup today but i am trying to lay low. I feel really good probably the most pain free after birth experience thus far except my arm since i got a pertussis vaccine but i dotn want to do too much then regret it next week. Maybe i will make the soup tomorrow
This is a 3-1 brownie maker. Basically it bakes the brownies already cut into inform sizes. And it includes a stand to make it easier to get them out of the pan. The pan is in 1 pieces. The bottom comes out. That's going to be helpful if I want to make a sheet cake.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry about work Janine. I have come to learn when getting talked to at work it usually doesn't help to try to defend yourself. THey already have their minds made up...and they probably aren't seeing the whole side of the story. I always find it frustrating when the laziest sloppiest employee if rewarded because they see the one thing they did right.

I have that brownie maker. Mil bought it for me. I didn't really care for it. Here is my tip make sure you grease those divider things real good cause they stick.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~whitehologram~ View Post
Ok, I will try harder not to speak to the produce in English.
I'm sorry, but that made me spit out my coffee. That's hilarious.

I think you did the right thing. I'm guessing the regional manager didn't have the whole story, and was trying to nip something in the bud. I've found when you are dealing with people like that, it's best to say yes, yes, I'll work on that and let it go. Then they feel like they've been heard and you do what you need to do. I only dispute things when it's in writing. Like if they are writing me up for stuff that can be used to fire me later.

I'm afraid speaking in other languages makes everyone uncomfortable. And you are right, 99% of the time it is NOT about them and is usually totally mundane stuff, but people are self-absorbed and assume you are talking about them. I worked in restaurants in Texas a LOT and used to know a lot of Spanish but never let on I did. I knew 99% it was not about me. But one time I heard the line cook tell the fry cook to get his johnson out of the fryer and go get me what I needed, and I burst out laughing and got busted. That move revealed not only that I knew Spanish but I had figured out their nickname for me they used when they spoke in spanish (which was not offensive but showed they used it to try to talk about me without me knowing). I noticed after that they were very careful about what they said around me. I don't think they were talking about me much per se but I think they were using language and subject matter they probably would have not otherwise discuss in English and didn't want to get in trouble for that.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #15
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cheryl thats funny. I always try to look like i know what people are talking about idk why lol. And i alway think the girls are taking about my nasty feet when i am getting a pedi
Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmommy1 View Post
Sorry about work Janine. I have come to learn when getting talked to at work it usually doesn't help to try to defend yourself. They already have their minds made up...and they probably aren't seeing the whole side of the story. I always find it frustrating when the laziest sloppiest employee if rewarded because they see the one thing they did right.

I have that brownie maker. Mil bought it for me. I didn't really care for it. Here is my tip make sure you grease those divider things real good cause they stick.
Yeah, for me it was more about being medicated well enough that I could stop and think before blurting out something that would have only annoyed them and gotten me into more trouble.

I need to get spay stuff for it. It was ok but the recipe that came with the pan is crap. It's heavy and didn't rise. I'm sure the kids wont care but I'll try something else next time. I read the reviews and it said the recipes were measured in cups but then they changed it to grams....it's better with cups I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
I'm sorry, but that made me spit out my coffee. That's hilarious.

I think you did the right thing. I'm guessing the regional manager didn't have the whole story, and was trying to nip something in the bud. I've found when you are dealing with people like that, it's best to say yes, yes, I'll work on that and let it go. Then they feel like they've been heard and you do what you need to do. I only dispute things when it's in writing. Like if they are writing me up for stuff that can be used to fire me later.

I'm afraid speaking in other languages makes everyone uncomfortable. And you are right, 99% of the time it is NOT about them and is usually totally mundane stuff, but people are self-absorbed and assume you are talking about them. I worked in restaurants in Texas a LOT and used to know a lot of Spanish but never let on I did. I knew 99% it was not about me. But one time I heard the line cook tell the fry cook to get his johnson out of the fryer and go get me what I needed, and I burst out laughing and got busted. That move revealed not only that I knew Spanish but I had figured out their nickname for me they used when they spoke in spanish (which was not offensive but showed they used it to try to talk about me without me knowing). I noticed after that they were very careful about what they said around me. I don't think they were talking about me much per se but I think they were using language and subject matter they probably would have not otherwise discuss in English and didn't want to get in trouble for that.
I dont speak to anyone in English but ok, if that's what they want I have to stick to their rules.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kari do you have the recipe book that came with the 3-1 brownie maker?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #18
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yeah, for me it was more about being medicated well enough that I could stop and think before blurting out something that would have only annoyed them and gotten me into more trouble.
I totally got that and GOOD FOR YOU!

Quote:
I dont speak to anyone in English but ok, if that's what they want I have to stick to their rules.
Yeah, I know. Like in Kari's example, 99% the nail techs are *****ing about their DH's not mowing the lawn and we are almost out of nail polish remover, etc. and ignoring the client completely, LOL, but if it makes the clients uncomfortable, then the rules are there for a reason. Just yell at the boxes in German.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok. I have tamed the kitchen. It still has too much clutter in there but at least everything above the floor is clean. The house is totally a pit right now because I had zero time to maintain it this weekend and there is still bday aftermath.

But right now I need to get me and mr. man to see a Croatian man about some elusive granite. If this does not work out I may in fact go postal and kill someone. I have wasted entirely too much time on this.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh... now I have to go to work tomorrow. More training. 3 hours of it. Then working like normal on Wednesday and training on Friday from 9-4.