Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Compression leaks and car seats

I received some used flips covers that I purchased over the weekend and have been using them and very pleased with them. They arrived in even better condition than I expected.

As I said, we have been using them over the weekend, since receiving them. We had previously had issues with leaking, out the legs in particular, with my homemade dipes. I was hoping the flips would solve this. We also had a few problems with compression leaks in the car seats, that I also hoped the flips would solve.

Well, leaks out the legs, no problems that I have seen. However, compression leaks in the car seat seems no better. I put a flip cover with two trifolded prefolds in it (my little one seems to be a super pee-er overnight and in the morning, she drinks a lot) on my 19 month old at 8am. We were in the car at 8:30 to make a 9:30 appt. By the time I pulled her out of the car at 9:15, she had peed straight through the diaper and cover and her pants right under her butt were wet.

Now, it's entirely possible that she had dumped her bottle into her seat and her seat and pants got wet from milk from the bottle, I didn't really have time to test. But, I do know she peed from changing her, so I suspect that it was just a compression leak. Even though she's snuggly buckled in, I know it's not too tight, but I do know she likes to "slouch" in her seat. She just wiggles as far into the seat as she can and always has. I am pretty sure that just having her booty all pressed up against the bottom of the seat and the buckle caused a compression leak straight through.

Is this just cause she tends to pee a lot due to drinking so much? Is it cause they are used flips, rather than brand new? I was hoping that flips would be a great cover to go over my homemade dipes and would solve our leak problems. Suggestions?

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Compression leaks and car seats

Are there any cracks or holes in the pul of the covers? One way to test is to put it under a faucet; if anything runs straight through then the pul is damaged. PUL will eventually get soaked (they do get wet in your washer!), but should be able to hold up to liquid initially.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
Are there any cracks or holes in the pul of the covers? One way to test is to put it under a faucet; if anything runs straight through then the pul is damaged. PUL will eventually get soaked (they do get wet in your washer!), but should be able to hold up to liquid initially.
There are no cracks or holes that I can tell. I looked them over pretty good when they arrived. I will totally run that faucet test on them though, just to be sure.

I really really want to do cloth, but if I can't solve our leak problems, DH isn't going to continue being on board. And I hate having to change pants when we change dipes, every two hours.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds to me like she is a super soaker. DS was/is this way too. I have found the Hemp Babies doublers to be a life saver. they are SUPER trim, add almost no bulk and are really absorbant. I use prefolds in DS's diapers, and adding 1 of these to each diaper has virtually stopped leaks all together. Try to find some used ones on FSOT to save you on prepping time. Brand new they go for $3 each so used you can get a good deal. buy a few and put them to the old car seat test, you wont be disapointed
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Ok, so I ran the faucet test, none of them dripped a bit, even after a bit of poking/squeezing.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
generationgreen
Banned

That is so weird. I just ordered a flip. I hope this isnt a common problem.
generationgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Were the prefolds completely soaked?
The other thing that comes to mind would be that may the two prefolds are too bulky and there are gaps at the legs when she is sitting.
I think there should be a solution out there for you; flips and trifolded prefolds or padfolded flats are one of the combos that I could always count on NOT to leak...

What size prefolds are you using/what rise setting do you have the cover on/how big is your dd?
and M
Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The other thing that comes to mind would be that may the two prefolds are too bulky and there are gaps at the legs when she is sitting.
I think there should be a solution out there for you; flips and trifolded prefolds or padfolded flats are one of the combos that I could always count on NOT to leak...

What size prefolds are you using/what rise setting do you have the cover on/how big is your dd?
and M
Old 04-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
It sounds to me like she is a super soaker. DS was/is this way too. I have found the Hemp Babies doublers to be a life saver. they are SUPER trim, add almost no bulk and are really absorbant. I use prefolds in DS's diapers, and adding 1 of these to each diaper has virtually stopped leaks all together. Try to find some used ones on FSOT to save you on prepping time. Brand new they go for $3 each so used you can get a good deal. buy a few and put them to the old car seat test, you wont be disapointed
I would call my kid a super soaker lol. She's not a happy kid unless she's carrying a drink around, usually in a bottle because she tends to throw sippy cups on the floor and screams. This results in lots of peeing lol.

I will check around for some of those Hemp Babies doublers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generationgreen View Post
That is so weird. I just ordered a flip. I hope this isnt a common problem.
Well, this is the first I have heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post

They were soaked through about halfway up. The tops of them up the back were dry, to pull them out of the cover.

I will say, the prefolds were just gerber birdseye prefolds, like you can get at Walmart. Which is why I put two of them, because I knew they weren't the most absorbent. As for size, DD is about 25lbs, but that's only an estimate, I haven't actually weighed her in a while. She's a smaller baby, always has been. They are snapped across the top two rows of snaps, with 3 sets of snaps showing between where the wings snap.

Right now, she's in a similar combo, just running around the house, and things seem to be fine.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
papoosecaboose
Registered Users
seller

I don't have much experience with prefolds, but from what I've ever heard on here, those Gerber birdseye ones are for the birds. LOL I could definitely see how 2 of those would cause compression leaks. Our flips were always very reliable, didn't matter if they were used, new, first quality or seconds. They're a great cover.

I just wanted to say that when we did have compression leaks, they happened in the car seat. DS was 2 years old when we started using cloth and this happened with mf inserts especially. Once I changed to hemp and bamboo inserts, we no longer had compression leaks...ever. If you could get your hands on a Flip organic insert, I guarantee you will love it. They can absorb a TON, but are very trim and soft.

Last edited by papoosecaboose; 04-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.
papoosecaboose is offline   Reply With Quote