Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #91
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: How to be a good parent

Really? You've never seen people post about all the dire consequences your children will face if you don't do x, y, z?

Advertisement

momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #92
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
Really? You've never seen people post about all the dire consequences your children will face if you don't do x, y, z?
Sure, but that seems more like their opinion on what might happen to me rather than threats or nagging.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #93
MyPerfectLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny, on DS I assumed that all of those AP/alternative side WERE the mainstream . So, at least in my responses, I thought of it as even poking fun at myself ... you know, to taunt that perpetual "mommy guilt" which strikes with every decision???
Abby, SAHM mom to Maddy (10), Benny (7), Annie (3.5),and Joshy (1). Wife to my traveling hub for 11 years! Almost FT student (2nd time around). My life is not perfect, but I keep telling myself if I say it enough I will believe it!
MyPerfectLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #94
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtojande View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's everywhere. Don't even get me started!! And though a lot of parents aren't trying to be pushy about their opinions, there are also 10x that many parents who ARE very pushy with their opinions. Like my family for instance, I CD and started out BFing and they were like " seriously! That all takes so much extra time!!! Are you crazy?!?" My dad won't use CD's when our DS stays with him and keeps sposies at his house for DS. A lot of people think it's gross to use them and think I'm nuts and voice this to me. I've even had people buy me sposies as gifts to try and get me to use them.
I had a lady at church ask if I hold my son a lot and I said yes. When he was first born I held him a lot during the first 3-4 months b/c I WANTED TO. I still love holding him. She FREAKED out and had the nerve to say "You're making a big mistake! You should never hold a baby that much. Mark my words...he's going to be mixed up and overly attached someday"......I kept doing what I wanted and he's fine. Loves being able to be free and do his own thing but still has to have a "snug" before bed. I used sposies for the first week or two of baby and a lady I know got on my case trying to convince me not to. I've had parents literally stick their chin in the air and walk away from me suddenly when I say I don't BF anymore b/c I had problems and had to stop. Those parents still don't talk to me. It's ridiculous. Yes some people are trying to just be nice and offer their opinion but a lot defintely have the "MY way is the ONLY way" attitude. If you really, seriously, haven't met anyone like that, good for you...you're lucky.

Last edited by Dani_Phen; 04-26-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #95
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Either way, the point of this thread is to poke fun at ALL of our opinions from one extreme to the next. Basically just because something works for you doesn't mean it does for me and we should not feel the need to criticize anyone else's parenting style. If it works for them and their kids are happy and healthy, who cares?! I shouldn't push my opinion on them. No one is being mean...You are being overly sensitive.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #96
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by H's mom View Post
Add to that list:

- Now that you are a parent, you are not to joke about or have an opinion about parenting because you will be labeled as a hater. Any attempt at humor will be viewed as childish. You are the adult now and you should know better.

Sigh, that's why I put that disclaimer at the bottom. I was poking fun at lots of things, even things I do myself. I guess some people missed all the intentional exaggerations. I picked all natural parenting things because most of us on this site (myself included) lean toward that type of parenting and believe it to be the best. It's just overwhelming sometimes.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 04-26-2012 at 01:12 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #97
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Phen View Post
I had a lady at church ask if I hold my son a lot and I said yes. When he was first born I held him a lot during the first 3-4 months b/c I WANTED TO. I still love holding him. She FREAKED out and had the nerve to say "You're making a big mistake! You should never hold a baby that much. Mark my words...he's going to be mixed up and overly attached someday"......I kept doing what I wanted and he's fine. Loves being able to be free and do his own thing but still has to have a "snug" before bed.
I loved it one day when we were at a family reunion, and my then 4 y/o son was running around socializing with everyone; I got to tell my husband "See! Remember how you said he was never going to be independent! How he'd want me to carry him around and wouldn't be able to socialize with other people!" Hah!
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #98
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewool

Who nags & threatens about these practices? I haven't come across anyone who does this.
You must be new.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #99
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

This thread made my day. Very funny.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #100
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Found the article this reminds me of! Enjoy mamas

Why ALL Parents Are Better Than You

My favorite parts:

"I'm going to save you some wondering: They are. Other parents are better. They are better than you in all ways. They are better at disciplining their kids, motivating their kids, and keeping their kids out of harm's way. Their children will have more friends in school, lead more fulfilling lives, and never need therapy. Their kids will rule. And it will all be because other parents were much better parents than you can ever hope to be. Sorry."

"Chances are that unless you are just really a complete jerk across several categories on a Venn diagram of types of jerks, your messed-up type of parenting is mediocre enough for your messed-up type of kid. Even messed-up, you know more than you think you do. Maybe. Still, you'll never be as good as Dr. Spock."