Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fear of my child growing up in this generation

Does anyone else fear this? This generation has lost its innocence. I live by an elementary school and over heard 2 children talking about not wanting to be virgins anymore. The had to be 4th or 5th grade. It scares me to think of my son with that kind of attitude. At that age I didn't even know what sex was much less want to have it what do you guys do to help your children stay innocent in such a overly exposed wworld.

Advertisement

alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I don't worry much about this. I am working hard to be open with my kids as they become curious of things and am instilling a strong faith which I hope will help them to make wise decisions.

Fwiw- I have a 4th grader and he doesn't know what sex is and isn't interested in girls yet.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt
I don't worry much about this. I am working hard to be open with my kids as they become curious of things and am instilling a strong faith which I hope will help them to make wise decisions.

Fwiw- I have a 4th grader and he doesn't know what sex is and isn't interested in girls yet.
I'm not religious but would like my son to have good morals. What do you do to teach that?
I'm happy your 4th grader isn't like some I live near.
I even heard a 6 year old tell her mom she wanted to bang the guy who plays Jacob in twilight and the mom continued the conversation by talking about famous people she wants.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Fear of my child growing up in this generation

No, it doesn't bother me. My kids will learn their morals from me and DH - the things we say, the things we DO, the way we treat others. We will teach them to respect themselves and respect others by example, you can't underestimate the influence that having parents who "walk the walk" has on kids.

I was kind of a sheltered kid (my mom tried, anyway) in a private, Christian school, and I still knew alllllll about sex by 4th or 5th grade, lol.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I even heard a 6 year old tell her mom she wanted to bang the guy who plays Jacob in twilight and the mom continued the conversation by talking about famous people she wants.
Disgusting, but exactly what I was talking about in my first post. First and foremost, kids learn from their parents.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan View Post
I'm not religious but would like my son to have good morals. What do you do to teach that?
I'm happy your 4th grader isn't like some I live near.
That mom is an example of what NOT to do.

I have an almost 16 yr old. He has a girl friend and is very respectful of her. He knows what sex is and I am sure has discussed having it with her. We talk about never having sex without a condom and why it would be better to wait, as no birth control is 100%. He says he is not ready for wee people and the thought of getting one scares him. We have always talked openly here. In 4th grade he was into Pokemon and his friends, not sex and girls. That did not really happen till 14-15 when he got curious about girls.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I understand completely.

Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by all the things I feel like I'm going to face trying to raise modest, moral children in this ego-centric world.

I know I grew up completely different than my peers and I definitely wouldn't say I was sheltered. Maybe a bit - it surprised me to hear the things spoken about sex on middle school and high school, but I wasn't naive. Somehow my mother created daughters who are extremely modest.

But I try not to stress about it. I'll do my best to help my children have the right priorities, help them adjust their thinking if necessary, reduce the influence of negative things on them, etc.

I'll take it one stage at a time. Right now, we're teaching her that her heart belongs to daddy. He has a little key on a keychain that says her name - he holds the key to her heart. We'll explain that she has to be careful in deciding who will take the key from dad. The boy/man has to be worthy, etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Hoping i'm teaching my oldest on how hard it is with being a mom by herself with little ones and like she tried to toss baby brother of table when she was moving not thinking and that your have to think a lot with things like bouncer on table. Not that my 8 year old is thinking about that. I hope tohelp her make decisions dealing with such things
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

No, today's kids are not, IMO, any less innocent than kids of generations past. My daughter went to Europe almost two years ago now. She visited Pompeii while she was there. The pictures she has brought back of the images that the ancient people had painted on their PUBLIC buildings, buildings that everyone frequented, would make a p*** start blush. Even in our own country just 150 or so years ago, people were regularly getting married much younger than they do today, and prior to marriage participating in the same sexual activities at those younger ages that we worry about our young people participating in today. In fact, often times the reasons they got married at 15 and 16 was because the were masking a pregnancy. It was never really a surprise to anyone when the baby came 2 months "early," but was as healthy as a full term baby.

And that doesn't even begin to touch how much less violent we are today than we have been in years and centuries past.

If anything, I fear sheltering my kids too much and handicapping their abilities to deal with real life. That, IMO is one of the real problems today.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Parents have been saying this for generations and really, it hasn't gotten any worse. Do you feel like your morals are less than your parents' or grandparents'?

As pp have said, you are the biggest influence on your children. As long as you work hard to instill what you believe are proper morals, your children will be fine.