Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #101
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: am I the only parent that doesn't care if their kid(s) goes to college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama View Post
Worthless? Yikes. I don't think a college education could ever be considered worthless. It just seems so controlling to me to say you'll only pay for their education if it's something YOU think is worthy. What if their dream isn't 10 years of medical school? I don't think parents are obligated to pay for their child's college education, but I wonder how that child will feel if their dream job is "worthless" to their parents.
Yes, I was a little harsh, very sorry momma, but a degree that leads to no job is pretty worthless, don't you think? I mean, they learned, but where will it get them?

I think every degree has a certain amount of value, but no, I will not pay for my son to get a degree in a field where I know it will be very, very diffcult for him to get a decent paying job (we'll see what the economy looks like in 18 years, by them maybe it will change). I've just seen too many friends of mine end up doing jobs that they could have gotten without such degree and although I think something can be said about the value of a college experience, I still don't know if it's worth the money.

Yes, I would love for my kids to be MD's or something in the medical field, but if they have other interests, well, I'll have to deal. I always say, major in something practical, minor in something you love. Dreamers just don't do it for me, it's not reality. For instance, my little siter majored in Vocal Performance. Thank god she got a minor in something practical, but her yes, I do deem her Vocal Performance degree pretty worthless in her case.

I just think a lot of money is wasted in college these days by 18 year olds that make poor decisions. It's not really their fault. Parents/teachers/Others need to be more involved in this process. They clearly need guidence.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kabuki24; 05-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Kabuki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #102
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Kabuki24;15042269]Yes, I was a little harsh, very sorry momma, but a degree that leads to no job is pretty worthless, don't you think? I mean, they learned, but where will it get them? QUOTE]

No degree is worthless, unless you measure worth only by the $$ you make afterwards. Learning is worth a lot, in and of itself. There also isn't such a thing as "a degree that leads to no job." There are degrees that don't lead to a SPECIFIC job, which I imagine is the point that you were trying to make and that you will only support your child studying a major that will lead to a SPECIFIC, pre-determined career for which that particular major will be required.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #103
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=myoo;15042913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
Yes, I was a little harsh, very sorry momma, but a degree that leads to no job is pretty worthless, don't you think? I mean, they learned, but where will it get them? QUOTE]

No degree is worthless, unless you measure worth only by the $$ you make afterwards. Learning is worth a lot, in and of itself. There also isn't such a thing as "a degree that leads to no job." There are degrees that don't lead to a SPECIFIC job, which I imagine is the point that you were trying to make and that you will only support your child studying a major that will lead to a SPECIFIC, pre-determined career for which that particular major will be required.
No, not at all what I'm saying. I'm really talking about degrees that open doors when you put them on a resume such as: business (although a general business degree is not a great degree IMO), finance, accounting, maybe some specific science majors, or, yes, job specific degrees such as nursing, teaching, etc.

I just wouldn't feel like a good parent not if they graduated with a degree that didn't lead to a pretty decent job. I think it's my job to guide them in a direction where they can make some decent money. I'm not saying six figure (in today's economy), but an amount of money that they can comfortably provide for their family. My family is by no means wealthy, we have all we need and some to spare and this is for sure what I would want for my children plus some.

Money does not buy happieness, but it sure helps. I really don't want my son to have to work 2 jobs to provide for his family. And I don't want a 35 year old kid living with me either!!! (lol)

You also made the point that learning is worth a lot. Yeah, I guess, but there are cheaper ways to learn things than spend $20k+ a year in college only to end up with a degree that doesn't earn you much or is very difficult to sell. I honestly feel like a huge percentage of college kids essentially purchase their degree and don't learn a ton in college (except life experience of course).

I guess if they really have a passion for something I would deem "worthless" (just following my other posts), I would strongly encourage them to at least add another major or do some sort of graduate work if they want me to pay for it.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #104
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read all the responses, but as a college instructor, I will certainly encourage my children to go to college if it fits their long term goals. At the same time, I do not want them going into serious debt to do so. If scholarships are not in the cards, and I'm still teaching here, they can go to my school for a serious reduced rate. If I am at another job, then we'll do stuff like live at home, work a part time job etc., to keep costs down.

If my children are not ready for or have no desire for college, I will not force them to go. I teach enough of those types of students and they are a complete drain on me and the class. I will not waste my money or time sending an unwilling child to college. Otherwise if they choose the military, work force, or something else, I will support them.

Last edited by marvelous; 05-03-2012 at 02:25 PM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #105
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
Well, I misphrased that maybe, it does have value, however if you plan to have a degree that may not "pay for itself" you should be very careful about how much debt you burden yourself with in order to get it.
agreed!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #106
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Agree as I know lots who didn't &still doing well...I did college & sahm no job besides that
Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #107
taylor's mom
Registered Users

nope, we feel the same here. i don't see college as a be all, end all. most of our friends are still in debt from college, yet they don't use their degree for the job they have at all. dh and i did not go to college. i've done extensive schooling for both firefighting and emergency medicine, hold no degree, and use my classes all the time. i also chose a field where my employer covers some of my education costs.
dh worked his way up in the grain mill, starting at the bottom and is now managing truckers and delivery of feed for 3 mills. he makes more than many of our college educated friends as well.
if our children choose to pursue a college education we will support them wholeheartedly, but i am not going to be disappointed in them if they choose not to.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #108
7mom7
Registered Users

I don't care if they go to college but if they choose not to I'd like for them to have a skill or trade to fall back.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #109
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I didn't read all the replies, but yes I will encourage my children to get some sort of post-secondary education.

I took Criminology and Archaeology in school, and while I don't work in either of those fields, I have a great job and I credit that university education for that.

University did not teach me the skills for my specific career (I work in Intellectual Property), but it did teach me to think critically, to research things I do not know, to work on a deadline, and to work with others. It helped me hone my writing skills and even helped with public speaking. That is the kind of education I find valuable and that I did not get in high school.

I do think many university students feel entitled to the corner office job immediately after graduation and that just isn't feasible. I worked hard to get where I was, and I had to work my way through school and up through the company I previously worked at.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #110
evamyster88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will support my children in whatever they decide to do. I would hope that they will not go into thousands of dollars of debt for school, but the choice will be theirs. I am getting my AA degree right now and will have no out of pocket costs when I graduate. I have no clue if I will go for a higher degree or not as student loans, and more school, do not appeal to me right now.