Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ultimately it's up to DD but I will encourage her to go to college. It's a proven fact that higher education means more pay which means more support for her family. Finding a job after college is going to greatly depend on your degree. I have had no trouble finding 2 jobs in my professional field and I only graduated last May. Also I wanted to point out that incurring debt isn't something you absolutely have to do to go to college. There are scholarships and grants to be had.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel college or tech school is important for getting a viable job. I do not agree with going into thousands of dollars of debt to do so. I also dont believe going to a 45,000 a year school yo become a teacher or accountant makes sense. Im encouraging my kids to go to college in state and to seriously consider community college for at least the first year. I have a 17year old and 15, and 13 so we cannot afford to send them all to high end universities.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: am I the only parent that doesn't care if their kid(s) goes to college?

I think most moms here want their kid to be happy. I do think a lot of us see the benefits of college as outweighing the drawbacks. If you can't find a job with a degree, then you definitely won't find one without. kwim?

Could be that those people that you know that are so in debt are that way due to their own spending not the result of college. I know a lot of people around here (I am close to a state University) use college loans to pay for an apartment, clothes, food, and partying. They are not even working part time but living on loans for 2 to 4 years so yes that does get you in serious trouble.

Kids don't want to work while they are in school. They feel they need to concentrate on classes and THEN pay back the loan with the awesome jobs they have. But many drop out of school and don't get those big jobs. OR they take a degree without researching fully how they can implement this and get a real job. I'm sorry to offend anyone with a phsycology degree but around here they are a big joke.... you can't find a job with that degree unless you want to do social work (probably for the state) and a lot of people don't want that type of job. Too stressful. We had a ton of phsycology and journalism college graduates at the bank where I used to work. EVERYONE had a degree but most not in business or banking.

Kids don't have the guidance and are not making wise choices when it comes to student loans and degree choices. This nation is in debt and so are most the people in it due to a variety of reasons but mainly bad choices or spending more than they should or more than they are earning.

My dh and I both have college degrees and are using them. We both graduated school with zero debt but my dh worked FULL TIME the entire time he was in classes.....the shift was 3 to 11 if I remember right. You bust your butt and then reap the benefits. I worked a combo of part time during the year and full time during the summers. My dh helped pay my school bill after we got married but we both graduated within 4-5 years.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't care at all. I honestly think college is overrated and pushed on kids that shouldn't be going. IMO college is for jobs you need a degree for like doctors, lawyers, management, etc. I went directly into mortgage banking at 18 out of high school and started at $30k. I worked my way up to the same job as adults with college degrees by the time I was 22, I was making about $60k for the few years before quitting to be a SAHM. My friends graduating college at 22 on the other hand have worked job after job at $30k and some of them FAR LESS. They also have student loans. I spent my "college years" traveling because I had money and having plenty of fun times. My husband also works a trade and got in the union at 22 and now that he is licensed he is making $100k. We have a friend who went to college and law school now works as an attorney and makes $60k. I don't think college is the end all be all and if we have sons I think trades and military is a far better option. I think work experience gets you further than college in this economy and I personally saw it do better for myself too.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

In Quebec you only do high school until grade 11 then you go to Cegep (college) Which is free.
If you do a 2 year program you only need to do 3 years of University to get your BA. They also offer 3 year programs (like nursing) where you don't need to go to uni at all. And it's FREE!! Also we have the lowest tuition rates (3500$/year for Quebec residents to attend McGill which is an Ivy League school). BUT right now the students are "on strike", protesting and rioting because of proposed tuition increases, so who knows how it'll be when DS gets to that point.
That being said, so long as DS is happy and can support himself, the. I couldn't care less if he has a piece of paper from a school.
NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #16
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I don't care if my kids go to college.

I care more about if they have a plan and a goal and work towards that. I actually don't even care if they change their plans. But knowing how to set goals and design a plan to reach that goal, and working that plan, IMO, is SO SO SO much more important than any piece of paper degree. I think one of the biggest reasons that so many people are in so much student loan debt, take forever to finish degrees and then either can't get a job with their degree or end up taking jobs outside of their degree is because so often in today's society kids are raised with this idea that college IS the goal. And they aren't raised to really know what to DO with college. They "have" to go to college because it's statistically proven that college graduates tend to make more money, so they have to have the degree to make more money. Then, when they get out, they reached that goal......so now what? They are often left floundering because they picked a MAJOR, and not a job. I feel like we have forgotten how to refine the question "what do you want to be when you grow up?" and many people leave college still having not actually answered that question.

Having said all that...I do expect that for my kids, their goals and plans are likely to include college. My oldest is 16, she wants to be a meteorologist. She's had plenty of experiences to help her refine that goal, including job shadowing meteorologists, visiting NWS, etc. Well, that's going to require college as a part of that plan. She also has a back up plan of cake decorating-she works in my sister's cake shop part time-and that doesn't require a degree, and that's fine.

For my other kids, they are only 3, 1 and unborn, so we aren't there discussing goals yet. But for me, I raise them that having goals is more important than having degrees. But also that degrees are good only if they help you reach your goals.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #17
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
There are scholarships and grants to be had.
OMG, this is so true and is so often blown off by everyone. I mentioned my 16 yr old, last night she and I spent an hour skimming through scholarship.com...and we barely scratched the surface. Now, many of the scholarships require some work-an essay, a project, multiple levels of competition, etc. But there are SO many that so many people just blow off.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both DH and I got athletic scholarships. I was the first one in my family to go to college.

DH's siblings all have student loans.

DH is 3 credits shy of his doctorate.And has no intentions of getting it.

All that being said part of me would like them to go but I will not let them take out loans, so we would have to save or if they are athletically blessed like we were then if they choose that path thats great.

DH says he doesn't want them to go to college, He feels people pick up to many bad habits in college. He jokes and says they are not going to college they are going pro! Then we laugh and say well lets wait and talk about it after they stop pooping there pants!
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
gaia06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh I care very much if they go to college...not only for the job/financial aspect but for the enlightenment/education aspect as well...I think this world is a better place when we have educated people in it
gaia06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #20
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I care. But I have possibly different reasons for caring. My family is comprised of a particular minority group in our area with high rates for dropping out of high school/joining gangs/going to jail/teen pregnancy, etc. Many people my age are content to live off the system and have multiple children they don't properly care for. It's important to me to expose my son and future children to the fact that there's more to life and that there are options out there for them.

My son is only 4 but he's been to my alma mater several times. He refers to it as "Mommy's Big People School" and he's so excited to see the campus and the big classrooms. I've taught him that he needs to learn him ABC's so he can go to my school too. Of course, I won't push him to attend this particular school, but I want him to know the importance of an education.

I remember being in my first year of college at a private college and being miserable because I was so out of my realm. My parents urged me to keep going. I'm so glad they did. It opened up a ton of opportunities to me (even though I don't have a high paying job) and steered me away from taking the easy way out like so many others I grew up with had done. I was able to afford an expensive education through financial aid, scholarships, grants, and low interest student loans.

The statistics are against us, I have to say, but I keep trying. My own DH never finished HS, and doesn't fully comprehend all the options we have available to us. He often feels limited in life because he only exposes himself to what his friends are doing. I don't want that for my children.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote