Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Re: am I the only parent that doesn't care if their kid(s) goes to college?

I havn't honestly thought about it outside of my husband and I doing what we can to provide for their future if they do decide to go to school. I don't want them to have the burden of student loans like I did. Which I guess in a way my dad did end up paying for them in the end (he passed away) I know that there's a good chance my husband and I will not be able to afford their full tuition expenses for 4 years plus, but I hope we have enough saved for them for at least 2-3 years depending on where they attend, and assuming we are doing good for ourselves still we would probably get loans under our names to finance the rest when it is time.

BUT- my daughter is 6, and so far she tells me she isn't going to college and she's going to stay home with Mommy.

But my husband never went to college and probably never will. He doesn't have the desire too. I don't think either one of us would foce our children into a higher education or life path they didn't want for themselves, but I also don't want them to flounder after high school. Hopefully as parents we are able to help them chose the career/life path they want for themselves and do what we can to help them achieve it.

ETA: and by help them chose I more or less mean give them life skills that will help them know what they want from life before high school ends. (or think they want, hah)

Advertisement

Last edited by champatlife; 04-26-2012 at 07:20 AM.
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #22
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

My greatest hope for my children is that they experience great joy in life.

I do believe that college (or education designed to teach a specific trade if that's their desire) will increase their options in life. And, the more options available to you, the more likely that you can choose one that brings joy.

I agree that a lot of posters got a job out of high school and worked their way up to a higher paying job and that their friends who went to college also wind up needing to start in the entry level due to lack of experience. The difference is that in a great many professions, the person without the college degree is limited in how far up the chain they can go. I see lots of low to middle managers going to school at night to get a degree so that they can move out of the middle management position where they are stuck due to their lack of education.

DH and I absolutely encourage our children (11, 8 and 7) to continue into some form of post high school education. Doing it while they are young and without a family is much easier than doing it later in life. It will absolutely open up opportunities and prevent doors from being closed.

Simply looking at the jobs available today is short sighted. We are still in a bad place in this country and beyond in terms of the economy. But, that is cyclical.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #23
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do not care if mine go to college. My husband and I both went for a year and dropped out. No debt was incurred because we both worked our way through.

I want mine to be happy. I pray that my girls will grow up wanting to be moms and fall in love with men who will be supportive of that. I pray that my boy grows up with a good work ethic, does something that he loves and falls in love with a girl who wants to be a mom.

I also pray that they all are happy with what they have. My husband does not have a degree but has worked hard and earned his way up to making a decent salary. We are not rich (not even close) but we live a full life. We are getting ready to move our family to Hawaii, which has been a dream of ours for the last 8 years. He just got a significant raise at a new company but it's going to be absolved by moving. We could stay here for the job which would make the money actually afford us a financially better life but our hearts are in Hawaii.

I've always been a believer that you can live on love and after the life that we've had since we got married...well I still believe that!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!

Last edited by kannondicarpo; 04-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #24
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nope we feel the same. Dh and I have talked about how he cant use his degree, my isnt worth a lot, we still owe about 10grand even though weve been out of school for 10yrs so it wouldnt be bqd if our kids dont go to college. They wouldnt have thousands of dollars in debt and trying to start life w/o that would be a bonus. Its really up to the girls. If they want to go we will help but if they decide to further educate themselves in a different manner then thats fine too!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #25
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
All 4 of ours are going to college. If college educated kids are having a hard time finding work can you imagine how hard it is for those who don't have one? Just b/c someone had a college education also doesn't mean they are guaranteed a job. It depends on where their degree is from, what their degree is in, their grades, job interview ability, additional qualities they can bring to a job, experience in the field they want to go into, internships, resume, etc. it also depends on how transferable they are. If they only want to live in a specific area, they won't be very marketable.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Up to my kids. I mean maybe my kids will want to go into the military, or do something like electrician or welding in which case we have a vocational school locally.. Or be like dad and firefight.. I mean I wont force them into college if what they want to do doesn't require college. Not everyone is cut out for a 4 year degree. Lol we need people in the labor jobs like that too.. So it's whatever they want!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #27
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

unless you want a specialize career that requires a degree i dont think college is always the best thing. DH had a 4 year degree, doesnt mean he can get a job anywhere so we are paying off his 30k in student loans and he can pretty much only get a $10/hour job at a call center. I think vocational school is just fine too, all depends on what kind of field they want to go into.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel the same way.college is way too expensive and what really matters to employers is a willingness to learn and improve. I have an associates degree and just learned that the guy that got my job after I was laid off makes 1$ less than I was, but he has a 4 year degree! My husband has a good job in the IT field and he doesn't have a college degree at all.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
littlehands
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I kind of care...but not enough to pay for it. My kids will have to earn scholarships or work their way through college.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I mean yeah, if one of my kids says she wants to be a doctor or a marine biologist then i guess her only option is college but I don't want my kids to feel like they need a job that gives them alot of money to be happy or feels like their only option is to go to college to be successful because obviously from all the other responses and in my husband's case that's just not true.