Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
kp1721
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
UPDATED in 1st post: Doctor Ruined Surprise - WWYD?

Update:

Baby Girl, Victoria Reese, was born October 3rd at 9:45am, weighing 9lbs. 1oz., 20.5 in long.
I got my "surprise" baby Although her gender didn't seem quite as surprising as the fact that she was born with a head full of dark hair, dark eyes and a matching dark complexion (both of my older babies were blonde, blue and fair).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a growth scan yesterday. I made it clear to the nurse/assistant that I did not want to know the baby's gender. She told the doctor and put a sign on the door. The doctor came in, confirmed, "you do not want to know the sex of the baby, correct?" I said, "that's right, we don't. We'd like a surprise."

He went on to take all of the measurements, talking aloud as he did..."the leg...back of the neck looks great...oh, hands tucked behind the head--relaxing..." He then says, "right 'sex organ'...left 'sex organ'..." At the end of the scan, he printed pictures, saying, "don't worry, there is nothing gender related...you won't be able to guess."

I didn't say anything. It's not like I could un-hear or he could take it back. And I didn't want my 3-year-old to repeat that there was no longer a surprise.

I know I should be happy I have a healthy baby--and I am. I wouldn't have cared either way, but I wanted to experience one of life's only true surprises. This is our last baby. I'm upset and really, I am angry that I won't get a surprise.

My husband wasn't at the appointment and I haven't told him what happened. I don't know if I should. I don't want to ruin the surprise for him, but I don't want to spend the rest of this pregnancy lying.

ETA: he did state the actual name of the sex organs. I am trying to be candid just in case I decide not to give it away to my husband

Advertisement

Kristin: Mommy to Liam (8/2008), Megan (12/2010), Baby #3 (due 10/2012)
Wife to Chris (USAF stationed in Hawaii)

Last edited by kp1721; 10-12-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Updated
kp1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doctor Ruined Surprise - WWYD?

Wow that sucks! People can be SO dense sometimes!!!! "You won't be able to guess" ...you already told me!!! I am so mad for you Mama...if DH was really into being surprised, I guess just try to hold it in. to you!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

It could have been the ovaries they were talking about: I'd tell myself that.

We had the same thing happen with this one (except a smidgeon different). She gave us a picture of his leg with the testicle in clear view.....

eta-unless you just changed the wording to be more family friendly. If he used the term, I'd have to tell my dh that I knew and ask him if he wanted me to keep it a secret or not. HUGS.

Last edited by wlillie; 04-26-2012 at 11:27 AM.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Hugs mama! Honestly, I don't think that gives anything away. He could have just as easily meant left side of or right side of, right?

Congratulations on the baby!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:

How is the surprise ruined? Both boys and girls have left and right sex organs, I thought...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa
Hugs mama! Honestly, I don't think that gives anything away. He could have just as easily meant left side of or right side of, right?

Congratulations on the baby!
I don't think anything was slipped. It could have easily been testicles or ovaries?

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I don't know what gender you are having from that LOL That could be ovaries or testicles. Which do you think it is?
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Both boys and girls have right and left sex organs. I wouldn't read one way or the other into that statement. And likely the doctor made that statement with the knowledge that right and left sex organs does not indicate gender one way or the other.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Kathy_D
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had something similar happen to me with DD2. I had to get a repeat scan because the baby was not in a position to get a good view of the heart and part of the spine. So I went by myself...on Christmas Eve. We wanted the sex to be a surprise, and I said that to the ultrasound tech a few times. She even commented that she thinks it's neat when moms don't want to find out, way to go! So before she even puts the gel on my belly, she is looking over the last set of pictures and says "So you're having a girl, right?" I was flabbergasted! I said "I don't know what we are having because we didn't want to know, just like I just told you." She could tell I was upset so then she started back tracking and saying "well, there isn't anything written on here about the sex, I really don't know what it is..." Yeah, right. You do this 5 days a week and have been doing this for 15 years, and you don't know what you are looking at? Ugh! I'm still mad about that!

Anyway, after thinking about it, I told DH that the tech slipped up and I told him everything she said except the word "girl." I said that I was disappointed that I knew and I didn't want to do that to him and left it up to him. He waited until she was born to find out that we had a daughter. He did ask me a couple of times and when I said "Are you sure you want to know?" he didn't, so I never told him. At times it was hard to not use the feminine pronouns and such, but I switched back and forth with DD1 and with DD2 before this so I continued. I actually had DH convinced that we were having a boy. It's hard, but it is possible.

Last edited by Kathy_D; 04-26-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Kathy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
shweebies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it is ruined either. Again, testicles or ovaries. Who knows.