Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
mommaplus4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Home made laundry soap?

I'm going to take the plunge and start making our laundry soap. I'm only worried about our diapers. Does anyone have a good cloth dipe safe recipe? The one i got is ivory bar soap, washing soda, and borax. I'm worried about the borax. I use Tide now and never had an issue we are jus looking to save money. I'm also looking for any advice on wipe solution. What i do now is just water and a little baby soap. Thanks ladies!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
katyldf
Registered Users
seller

Re: Home made laundry soap?

I have not made my own but plan on trying in 2 months when DH is done at training and we are moved in to our new home. But I do know if you use it on your diapers leave out the soap.
katyldf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Water without soap for most wiping.

I have been using a recipe often cited here that is one box Borax, one big box Baking soda, one box Washing Soda (each of those boxes is approximately 3.5-4.5 lbs, I forget which is which but they only come in that size, so if it's near 4 lbs you're good). Then about 15 oz castille soap (use Kirks, it's least expensive). You can microwave the soap a few minutes till it turns into a souffle, and when it cools its a powder.

Mix all that and use 1-2 tablespoons per load. I had to cut to half a tablespoon in a small stacking washer, the clothes were scratchy. I use 2 in our current giant washer, for diapers, and put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser.

It's been working well for months on flats, BGs, BGEs, the whole nine yards. Can't tell a difference between it and my beloved Country Save.

Borax is a no no when it's adding a cup or whatever to a load. In this mix, it's less than a teaspoon per load.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
sassypants1234
Registered Users

I think it's the Ivory soap you need to worry about. Soap will cause buildup in diapers-at least that's what I was reading when I was researching it.
Can you please check in with us after you make it and wash your diapers? Our baby is due in August and I haven't gotten any feedback on hm detergent and we would like to make our own...
sassypants1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassypants1234
I think it's the Ivory soap you need to worry about. Soap will cause buildup in diapers-at least that's what I was reading when I was researching it.
Can you please check in with us after you make it and wash your diapers? Our baby is due in August and I haven't gotten any feedback on hm detergent and we would like to make our own...
We've had no buildup on any of our wash, or the washing machine, using the recipe with castille soap.

I was worried about the soap too, but read that washing soda removes soap residue. So I suspect that in the above recipe, the washing soda removes the soap.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
sassypants1234
Registered Users

Oh awesome!!!
sassypants1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For diapers I use equal parts: sun oxygen cleaner (oxy), borax & washing soda.
I have benn using this recipe for over 3 years now and it works great and my diapers are clean.

For laundry I use I bar of Ivory with 1c. Borax & 1 c. Washing soda.
I have been using this recipe for 8. Months now and it also is working great for us.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocaligirl
For diapers I use equal parts: sun oxygen cleaner (oxy), borax & washing soda.
I have benn using this recipe for over 3 years now and it works great and my diapers are clean.

For laundry I use I bar of Ivory with 1c. Borax & 1 c. Washing soda.
I have been using this recipe for 8. Months now and it also is working great for us.
How does it do on stains,like food from a messy toddler or grass stains? Do you use a stain remover with it or does it do a great job at washing stuff out on its own?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
mommaplus4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Well I finally got everything I need to make the laundry soap...a used food processor for $10, ivory soap, borax, and washing soda. I'm going to make it tomorrow. I want to use it on both the regular wash and dipes. Ive read so many things about the cloth dipes and hm soap its about 50/50 positive and negative. So im just going to be brave and try!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
5lilmnkys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The homemade soap I use caused buildup issues, so I went back to Tide. We still save a ton regardless, since I buy Tide solely for diapers and use the homemade for all of my other laundry (which is a lot with such a large family).
I married Jon, my 2nd chance at true love, on 11-26-10, and am mama to 6 lil monkeys...4 by birth, 2 by marriage. Bryant Stone 13, Landon Nicholas 10, Paige Erica Nicole 8, Jorja Juness 5, Jillian Bella 3....and the baby boy that links us all together, Rowan Henry, born 6/30/11!
5lilmnkys is offline   Reply With Quote