Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Kiwimommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 91
"Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

I don't post here much, but maybe someone has some ideas..
My daughter is 27 months old.. I'm 32 weeks pregnant and dried up 20 weeks ago, so she hasn't had a taste of milk in a while. But every so often she will ask to nurse. I want to say once or twice a week. I let her, and she will latch for a second and then be done. From around 15-28ish weeks pregnant, she wouldn't even suck. Just latched, unlatched, done or didn't even latch. It was a game. Now she'll attempt to get something out for a second or two, then be done. Ever since the colostrum came in, she seems more interested but still doesn't latch for long. She DOES have a good latch, though
I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen and had their toddler go back to nursing when baby is born. I consider her mostly "weaned" because of how erratic her asking is and how quick her "nursing sessions" last. Not to mention she gets no milk. I would LOVE to tandem nurse. I feel like I cheated her out of her milk when I dried up, since she wasn't quite ready to wean. Whenever she asks to nurse, I want to cheer because it means she's not quite done trying yet and we're closer to the birth of brother and the return of milk. My biggest fear is that the milk will come in and she will decide she doesn't like it. Silly fears, I know. :P
Anyone had this happen before or something similar?

Advertisement

Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
aries416
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,527
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

My situation was a little different because even though my milk dried up, my dd did not stop nursing. I did cut her down to 2-3 times a day, but she never stopped until I was in the hospital having DS. They are 27 months apart. I kind of pushed her into nursing again when I came home from the hospital and was REALLY engorged. She just looked so sad and I knew I could really use her help! DS is 18 months now and my DD is still nursing. I've cut her back (again) to once or maybe twice a day, but she asks a lot. She was nursing almost as much as the baby for a while.

It's been hard. And exhausting. It was not something I really planned, but it worked for us. My kids are close and I think nursing together as helped.
__________________
Eleanor, mama to Maren (07.05.08) and Grant (10.20.10)
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
thtr4me's Avatar
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,094
My Mood:
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

I sort of un-weaned by DS1 after DS2 was born. He weaned the cycle we got pregnant with DS2. I think if DS2 had not come along, we would have been all done at that point. DS1 tried to latch on a few times while I was pregnant, but it just did not work well. Once DS2 was born and my milk came in, he would catch leaking milk with his finger or tongue just to get a taste. Within a few months, he was asking to nurse at least every few days, and I started to let him. He nurses now maybe once every week or two, so not exactly tandem nursing, but it works for us, and helps him feel closer to mama when he gets jealous of the time I spend nursing DS2.

If you think that un-weaning is the right fit for you and your family, I would not hesitate. And it is quite likely that she will REALLY like the milk when it comes in.
__________________
Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06 , Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,708
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
My situation was a little different because even though my milk dried up, my dd did not stop nursing. I did cut her down to 2-3 times a day, but she never stopped until I was in the hospital having DS. They are 27 months apart. I kind of pushed her into nursing again when I came home from the hospital and was REALLY engorged. She just looked so sad and I knew I could really use her help! DS is 18 months now and my DD is still nursing. I've cut her back (again) to once or maybe twice a day, but she asks a lot. She was nursing almost as much as the baby for a while.

It's been hard. And exhausting. It was not something I really planned, but it worked for us. My kids are close and I think nursing together as helped.
This is basically what happened with us. My DD never stopped nursing when I was pregnant with DS, and when he was born, she was thrilled with the abundance of delicious milk! I have found it quite effortless. I was apprehensive about it before DS was born, but it's worked out great. I never nurse them both at the same time--that would be sensory overload for me. But DD nurses 2 or 3 times a day, and DS nurses on demand, and it works great for us.

If your DD still remembers how to latch well and has interest, it will probably work out great. I think the latch is the biggest hurdle--if the toddler has forgotten how to latch properly, it's much more complicated.
__________________
Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, Toddler Boy 3/11, and Twin Girls 2/14!
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

There's nothing wrong with offering to nurse at this point. There's no rule that says after baby is X age, you can't/shouldn't offer to nurse. If you really want tandeming to happen offer. That said, if she isn't interested, you sure can't make her nurse.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
jemilyon's Avatar
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake

This is basically what happened with us. My DD never stopped nursing when I was pregnant with DS, and when he was born, she was thrilled with the abundance of delicious milk! I have found it quite effortless. I was apprehensive about it before DS was born, but it's worked out great. I never nurse them both at the same time--that would be sensory overload for me. But DD nurses 2 or 3 times a day, and DS nurses on demand, and it works great for us.

If your DD still remembers how to latch well and has interest, it will probably work out great. I think the latch is the biggest hurdle--if the toddler has forgotten how to latch properly, it's much more complicated.
How did y stand nursing through pregnancy!?
Im 6 mo preg right now and about a month ago nursing dd became like nails in a chalkboard. The milk is not flowing and she had this shallow
Comfort nurse suckle that was unbearable. Did that just not happen to u??
I still nurse her when she remembers ti ask (every couple days) but i cannot stand it!!
I will def offer when the baby is born and I hope she hasnt forgotten how to latch. She will be 27 mo then.
I love nursing for the health and healing benefits. Thats why I want her to nurse when the
Baby comes.
__________________
Emily, wife to Jon and mama to Joshua (11/05), Gianna (5/10), and Isaiah!
Baby 4 coming in May!
jemilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,708
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemilyon View Post
How did y stand nursing through pregnancy!?
Im 6 mo preg right now and about a month ago nursing dd became like nails in a chalkboard. The milk is not flowing and she had this shallow
Comfort nurse suckle that was unbearable. Did that just not happen to u??
I still nurse her when she remembers ti ask (every couple days) but i cannot stand it!!
I will def offer when the baby is born and I hope she hasnt forgotten how to latch. She will be 27 mo then.
I love nursing for the health and healing benefits. Thats why I want her to nurse when the
Baby comes.
Yeah, it was not easy. I limited her to nursing 3 times a day; morning and bedtime were not so bad because she didn't nurse too long. Naptime was really difficult because she needed to nurse to sleep. There were times when I unlatched her and got up to take a breather because I was about to lose my cool. Somehow we managed. The difficulty of weaning seemed greater than the difficulty of continuing to nurse in our case. If it hadn't, I probably would have weaned.
__________________
Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, Toddler Boy 3/11, and Twin Girls 2/14!
VeganCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
tibeca's Avatar
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,936
My Mood:
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

With my first, I toughed it out. It was horrible and continued to be horrible after her sister was born. She weaned when DD2 was 9 mo with a little encouragement.

This time around it hasn't been so bad. DD2 isn't much of a comfort nurser, night weaned herself and is excited that now at 26 weeks I have colostrum. I suspect it won't be so bad this time.
__________________
Tibeca, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist

Baby Monkeys on Hyena Cart
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Kiwimommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 91
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

Thanks for all the advice I forgot to log on for a few days.. oops!
DD decided to have her first "real" nursing session in a LONG time a couple mornings ago. Probably sat there for a good 5 minutes. It felt weird (she hasn't had a real nursing session in forever) but she had just woken up and silly mommy fell asleep after getting a back massage so never threw my top back on. Her latch is still fine! I'm half excited, half unsure of what I want to do. My partner thinks she is too old to nurse, but he doesn't really "care" either way.
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Kiwimommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 91
Re: "Un-weaning" and tandem nursing?

Thanks for all the advice I forgot to log on for a few days.. oops!
DD decided to have her first "real" nursing session in a LONG time a couple mornings ago. Probably sat there for a good 5 minutes. It felt weird (she hasn't had a real nursing session in forever) but she had just woken up and silly mommy fell asleep after getting a back massage so never threw my top back on. Her latch is still fine! I'm half excited, half unsure of what I want to do. My partner thinks she is too old to nurse, but he doesn't really "care" either way.
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.