Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
rewardsfromheaven
Registered Users
seller

Help me understand....

I have heard it said that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby but I don't fully understand the concept. I have alot of milk and it comes out very easily. My LO won't take a pacifer and I don't have a problem giving him the breast but how will he not be getting too much milk if I become the pacifer???

Advertisement

rewardsfromheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
winkmom
Registered Users

Re: Help me understand....

The milk that your baby receives in the beginning of a feeding is not as high in fat content as later on in the feeding. So if baby just wants to be soothed for a little while they are not taking in as many calories. I am a mom of nine and I don't use bottles or pacifiers. My babies are healthy and have all been different sizes. From the one who was 20 lbs at 6mo to the one who barely hit 20lbs at 1 year. If the baby doesn't want to eat they just won't nurse. You can't force them to nurse if they don't want to. If they want to, then let them. Breast milk is digested very easily. Babies know what they need. I hope this helps.
winkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
During comfort sucking very little milk is released and you will notice much less swallowing. If you are having multiple let downs baby is hungry and not comfort sucking. They eat when hungry and only they know when that is. I find it easy to offer breast and if it makes them happy, I'm happy.
I'm another no paci, no bottle mama whose lo's have been all sorts of sizes/weights.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dp
Happy to be again after a bit of a break

Last edited by eliz7; 04-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When mine comfort nursed, less milk came out, and often what did would dribble out of their mouths.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

just because a baby is sucking at the breast doesn't mean that milk is gushing out (unlike with a bottle, where milk starts dripping out as soon as you turn it upside down). it takes a certain kind of suck to pull that milk out. comfort sucking doesn't do that. you'll notice sometimes if they go from eating to comfort sucking and then back to eating again. after the initial hard sucking and gulping, they'll just sort of be sucking, but not really as hard or swallowing as much, and then suddenly they'll stir and start the hard sucking, gulping thing again. that in between part, they aren't getting much milk.

also, i personally feel that overeating is a learned habit. babies will eat when they're hungry, if they're not, they won't eat. that doesn't mean they don't want to nurse (ie comfort suck) but they don't really want milk. if they DO want milk, then they need it.

Last edited by Liadan23; 04-27-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, what everyone else said. Breastfed babies don't overeat because they are in control of what they are getting. THey have to suck pretty hard to get a large amount of milk out, so they only do that when they're hungry. Otherwise, they just suck lightly.

My first comfort nursed a TON, but this one doesn't seem to be into it as much. He loves to nurse when he's hungry, but otherwise he would rather sleep. They both are growing at pretty much exactly the same rate so far. (really fast!)
Old 04-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dealt with OALD and oversupply when DS2 was tiny. He would fill up on milk, then want to comfort nurse, but due to my oversupply was still getting milk. He would latch off if he got milk when he was full (usually ended up with a crying frustrated baby since he was getting milk he did not want). We did end up introducing a paci to allow him to get all the sucking in that he needed, without getting too much milk. Once my milk supply calmed down a bit, he was able to do more comfort sucking at the breast, but still resorts to a paci when he needs to suck and I am still letting down milk.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I have the same question. I understand what everyone is saying but my dd is the same, doesn't like pacifiers so she uses me. She just ate and fell asleep but was still sucking, she was on for at least 45 minutes. Now that she is awake she has spit up 3 times. This happens every time she nurses while she is sleeping. I try and unlatch her but it wakes her up. I feel like she ate too much and it is causing her to spit up. Also, whoever says bf babies don't spit up was WRONG. My oldest who was on formula after a few months never spit up this much.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewardsfromheaven
I have heard it said that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby but I don't fully understand the concept. I have alot of milk and it comes out very easily. My LO won't take a pacifer and I don't have a problem giving him the breast but how will he not be getting too much milk if I become the pacifer???
The system is set up to take care of baby. Comfort sucking is gentler and less rhythmical, meaning baby isn't getting much milk, as opposed to nutritive sucking, which is strong and rhythmical and designed to express maximum milk. Due to the nature of bottles, which are much easier to get milk from, means if baby tries to comfort suck they get milk.

Just to ease your mind, DD2 was BF, and I have a lot of milk (squirted her in the face a few times trying to get a latch ), she went through phases where she would nurse 12 times a day and co-sleep/nurse ALL NIGHT. At 15 months she is 20 lbs and 30 inches, not an 'overfed' baby. She is tall and slender, like my dads side of the family, but perfectly healthy!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote