Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
waitingforbaby
Registered Users

Help! New mom

We're four days postpartum and baby is definitely getting enough to eat judging from the number of dirty diapers and the transition out of meconium.

But...

It hurts! Engorgement is not the issue...My nipples are scabbing and tonight for the first time baby kept coming off the latch and complaining and not feeding. Is the scaliness of my nipple preventing milk from coming out? I know this is probably a positioning problem, but I have a great breastfeeding book and I still can't figure it out.

Also... Is giving my baby a pacifier going to destroy our breastfeeding relationship? I couldn't take it any more tonight. She nursed great during the day but tonight, like last night, would fall asleep after a few gulps at the breast and then wake up and cry and mouth to eat when I tried to lay her down to sleep. So I gave her a pacifier my mom bought for me. She's sucking on it now. :-(

Advertisement

waitingforbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingforbaby
We're four days postpartum and baby is definitely getting enough to eat judging from the number of dirty diapers and the transition out of meconium.

But...

It hurts! Engorgement is not the issue...My nipples are scabbing and tonight for the first time baby kept coming off the latch and complaining and not feeding. Is the scaliness of my nipple preventing milk from coming out? I know this is probably a positioning problem, but I have a great breastfeeding book and I still can't figure it out.

Also... Is giving my baby a pacifier going to destroy our breastfeeding relationship? I couldn't take it any more tonight. She nursed great during the day but tonight, like last night, would fall asleep after a few gulps at the breast and then wake up and cry and mouth to eat when I tried to lay her down to sleep. So I gave her a pacifier my mom bought for me. She's sucking on it now. :-(
Unfortunately that sounds right. My nipples were sore and scabby for about eight days then it got so much better. Hang in there you're almost there! Your baby is still getting the milk. I went ahead and gave my baby a pacifier. We didn't use it much in the beginning. Maybe just limit the use for awhile. It hasn't affected breastfeeding for me and my little guy at all. We are going on two months!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help! New mom

try putting coconut oil on you nipples to help ease them and soften them back up...that is what I did and it really helped!!
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
lilangel8185
Registered Users
seller

I would call the hospital you delivered at bc most of them have a lactation consultant that can help you. Itcould be a problem with latching on that's causing the sores, also definately try some lanolin. That's always worked for me especailly in the beginning bc its designed to protection the skin. I've never tried coconutoil bc of severe allergies to coconut, and the hospital usually recommends lanolin anyways.

Last edited by lilangel8185; 04-27-2012 at 11:30 AM.
lilangel8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
artangelsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lanolin after every feed! But, realize it may stain your bras but still worth it.
We also gave our lo a pacifier pretty soon after we brought him home just at times where he was trying to fall asleep and I didn't want to be the pacifier...and he still nurses fine.
artangelsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My nipples were like that with my first for at least a week, maybe 2? With the second they didn't look bad, but still hurt like crazy for 2 weeks every time he latched on. Sometimes it's not related to positioning or latch or anything (both of mine had a great latch), but it's just nipple soreness that you have to endure for a few weeks. I read somewhere that it's more common in fair0skinned women. I'm super pale, so it makes sense to me.

oh, and as far as pacifiers go, I don't think that pacifiers as nearly as dangerous to the breastfeeding relationship as bottles. There's not as much confusion, because the baby isn't getting anything out of the pacifier. The main risk would be the baby not nursing as much and it could slightly impact your supply, especially this early on. But not likely if he's nursing on demand otherwise.
That said, he may not LIKE the pacifier. We got one for my daughter (at my mom's urging), and she really just didn't like it and wouldn't keep it in her mouth, so we ended up ditching it.

Last edited by songbird516; 04-27-2012 at 02:22 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Leigh's Mommy
Registered Users

I lived on ibuprofen at night. I took 800 mg about an hour before DS started the evening nurse-a-thon. (OB approved it for c-section and BFing). It helped temper the pain. Also, I went through two tubes of lanolin in the first month and used breast pads. DS has never been a huge pacifier (gave him one at a week) but it did save my sanity a couple of times in the first month.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
masja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
LO is 2 weeks now. I had the same issue as with my last...my nipples were scabbed and it hurt so bad when she latched I wanted to scream! My issue was that she wasn't latching deep enough and I would hold her in the football hold to get her to latch correctly. The soreness and scabbiness lasted about 6 days and now it's fine even though her latch hasn't changed much. I also introduced a paci in the hospital and haven't had problems, she uses it mainly to sleep or if she's fussy but is full.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

aww well congrats! Def normal to be sore with your first and even more babies. Lots of air and lanolin. Check with an LC to make sure your latch looks good and deep. Has your lo been checked for tongue tie?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I gave all my LOs pacifiers from birth. The first two lost interest within a couple weeks and eventually became thumb suckers. The third, 13 months old and still nursing, loves his paci.

As for the nipples, probably not a latch issue, just dry from being sucked on all the time. Keep lanolin or coconut oil on them, you can even put it on before you nurse and reapply after you are done.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote