Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

Sadness about giving a bottle...

Just need to express myself and this seems like the place to do it.
DS id 7 and a half weeks old and so far has been EBF. Monday he will have to have a bottle of expressed milk. He'll only get one bottle while I'm at rehearsals (I run a theatre company) which is 1-2 times a weeks and I'm only gone 4 hours. I tried taking him with me, but it was too distracting.
I've known he'd need the occasional bottle since preggo, but I never expected to feel such sadness about it. I couldn't give the reason, I just feel it.
(And I have no issue with bottles, formula, purreed steak, you feed your kid whatever you want it's none of my business)
I guess I feel sad more in that what will DH do if he wants to nurse for comfort? (We don't give a paci and that's not an option. Again no issue with it, it's just not for us).
I never thought I would love our Breastfeeding relationship so much. We worked hard to get here (lip tie, anterior and posterior tongue ties which needed 2 clippings) and have an incredible bond. In some ways I want to be the only person who can soothe, care for and feed him, but I know it's important for DH to have a caretaker role as well.
So, that's it. I'll live and I know DS will be in great hands with DH, I'm just a little sad that I'll be away and that he'll nurse a piece of plastic instead of a warm, squishy, loving mummy.

Advertisement

NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Hopefulily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiG
DS id 7 and a half weeks old and so far has been EBF. Monday he will have to have a bottle of expressed milk. He'll only get one bottle while I'm at rehearsals (I run a theatre company) which is 1-2 times a weeks and I'm only gone 4 hours. I tried taking him with me, but it was too distracting.
I've known he'd need the occasional bottle since preggo, but I never expected to feel such sadness about it. I couldn't give the reason, I just feel it.
(And I have no issue with bottles, formula, purreed steak, you feed your kid whatever you want it's none of my business)
I guess I feel sad more in that what will DH do if he wants to nurse for comfort? (We don't give a paci and that's not an option. Again no issue with it, it's just not for us).
I never thought I would love our Breastfeeding relationship so much. We worked hard to get here (lip tie, anterior and posterior tongue ties which needed 2 clippings) and have an incredible bond. In some ways I want to be the only person who can soothe, care for and feed him, but I know it's important for DH to have a caretaker role as well.
So, that's it. I'll live and I know DS will be in great hands with DH, I'm just a little sad that I'll be away and that he'll nurse a piece of plastic instead of a warm, squishy, loving mummy.
I know exactly how you feel! My LO is 2 months old and I am going back to work next week. I am very sad that he will be receiving two or three bottles while I'm working. I would so much rather be the one nursing him! I am only going to work three weeks then have off another two months but those three weeks are going to be so rough! I never expected to love nursing so much but I really do enjoy our time together!

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Sadness about giving a bottle...

aww im so sorry mama your feelings are very normal. We dont give bottles around here unless we have too. DH had to supplement when i got sick and admitted into the hospital my supply took a small hit so he had 2 bottles in there and i was very sad and one when i had a root canal.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiG View Post
I thought I was the only weird one that felt that way! I said that I loved knowing that I was the only person that could feed and soothe my son by ebfing him. I enjoyed knowing that he needed me and only me it's a special bond that only me and him can share together. I have given him a bottle a few times though, due to cluster feeding and I felt that he wasn't eating satisfied with my boob.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Naturally Wise
Registered Users
Formerly: kickboxkay
seller

My Mood:
I think it's perfectly normal and very sweet to be cherishing this special time with your baby, especially after overcoming such big obstacles. Hope it goes/went well!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
JAGRRS
Registered Users

Hope it went ok mama. It is hard and wishing it was something you didn't have to do.
JAGRRS is offline   Reply With Quote