Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Children watching the delivery?

I have a 7 yr old, 4 1/2 yr old and 2 yr old.

Bella's due date is September 23rd. DS1 and DS2 have said that they want to be there watch Bella being born. I am giving birth at a family friendly birth center, so it's definitely a possibility.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had children around 7 and 4 veiw their birth, and if you have any suggestions or advice?

I'd like to have a baby sitter at the birth center with me to keep an eye on them and keep them entertained. I'm not sure I'd want them in the room with me the whole time I'm laboring... but then when it was time, the birth assistant or DH could go get the kids and bring them in to watch their sister being born.

I am NOT looking for opinions as to why my children SHOULDN'T be there from people who have elected to not have their children present.

More of "Did you do this and how did it work out?" or "Are you going to do this and what's your plan?"

God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Krissycola
Registered Users
seller

Re: Children watching the delivery?

I just wanted to say that's awesome
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good for you and your family! I saw both of my brothers born at 6 and 8 years old. It was amazing, beautiful, and something I will never forget! My only suggestion is to really explain everything that is going to happen and tell them that you will have to concentrate on giving birth.

The book I linked below is PERFECT for this situation. My parents read it to me a couple of times before each birth and it was very helpful. It explains what will happen during the birth and right afterward with pencil drawings in a way that is not scary for children.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/0937604038
Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! I also wanted to mention that my 4 yr old will be about 2 months shy of being 5 yrs old.. so closer to 5 yrs old than to 4yrs old.

Going to check out that book. Thanks so much for the link.

I also plan on showing them some natural birth videos on the internet, so that they will know what to expect. They have been told (and I'll remind them) that having a baby hurts, so mommy may cry a little or yell or grunt.. because it's hard work to get a baby out.

So I wasn't planning on just sending them in blind.. I plan to have a baby sitter there to keep them occupied during the earlier stages of labor .. they'll be in a different room. And then they can be brought in when "it's time," and the sitter will be available to take them out if they decide it's too much.

I have on friend who will come do the baby sitter thing if she's not working when I go into labor, and my back up plan is my friend's 17 yr old daughter, and I'll pay her $40.

Thanks again!

I've heard a lot of negative responses.... the main one being "I don't want the image of my vagina being burned onto my child's brain." or .. they shouldn't attend just because they are boys. *eyeroll*

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
megkmc
Registered Users

No real advice here! But my sister (7 years) and brother (5 years) were there when I was born and they were definelty not traumatized! My oldest daughter wants to be there when my baby is born in September, she will be almost 5, but we are still undecided. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
kehau68
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 16 mo old was there the first time w my mil and dh helping w her . I plan to have my dd who will be 6yo and my DS who will be 4 1/2 there. I'm not a yeller or screamer and I feel confident that they will feel ok just having daddy and others they feel secure and trust in. I will look into that link for the book and they have seen a homebirth video, I may find more for them but it's a natural thing and I'm not worried.
kehau68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

I think it can be such a wonderful gift for children to have that memory of welcoming their sibling into the world as well as a view of birth being a normal thing. If your kids want to be there and you're good with it, go for it!

I'm really torn personally. I want my kids to have the experience but I have a tough time with labor mentally and even with a sitter for them, I suspect it would be problematic for me
Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice.

God bless!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD1 was a month away from being 6 when DD3 was born and she was there for most of labor and all of the delivery. I had a home water birth and started labor around 1130pm so they were all asleep but she got woken up when the midwife and her assistant were setting up the pool etc in the bedroom. She got me drinks and rubbed my back for a little while, colored me pictures and asked the midwives 48,576,302 questions she also had the very important job of holding the flashlight for the midwife. She absolutely loved being there and is still so proud that she was there when her sister was born. She loves to tell people how she helped mommy have a baby
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids are all the same ages as your exactly. They just watched my delivery 2 weeks ago. We had a home birth, and it happened in the middle of the night. They slept soundly through my not so quiet labor, then my dh woke them when I started pushing. They all 3 came in and sat on the bed while I pushed in the birth tub. They could def see me, but couldn't really see any details of the delivery (although they had been prepped, and knew what was going on) They were quite as lil church mice, with their blankies and watched for the 20 min that it took for their brother to be born. As soon as he was out, they crowded around the tub to meet him. It was honestly the sweetest and best moment! I couldn't imagine it going any better than it did. I think the key was that they were prepared, AND they didn't have to be there very long I know I couldn't handle my 7 yo chatter for long during labor. But they did great! I would do it again in a heartbeat