Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
dncegrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are my children monsters? :(

I play with the jelly packets to pass the time! LOL. I also play with the creamers if there are any on the table.

If someone has a problem with your ds touching the jelly packets, then they really shouldn't go to a restaurant. I have seen everyone touch those and their hands could have been in worse places than their mouths.

Advertisement

dncegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_mel_rocks

I suggest not going into any restaurant then. Everything is touch multiple times. Bottles are refilled from larger bottles. Please touch their food and then grab a bottle for more condiments after wiping their hands, mouths.
And then theres those who dont wash their hands after their trip to the bathroom. If a little kid spit was the worst thing on those items Id be happy.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I will probably talk to a manager, I was way too upset at the time I didn't want to cry and make the situation any worse.

Like I said, this is a diner, and I think the thing that makes me the most upset is that I live in a college town so there are always drunk college students there. Some have vomited in the parking lot prior to eating (I've witnessed it -- really sad). I feel much more inclined to be upset about a drunk person who just vomited touching things than I do about a 2 year old touching things.

Thanks for the responses. As I am rethinking it, I think it is unreasonable to put things on a table and expect anyone to not touch them -- not just a toddler. Heck, I've picked up a jelly packet and then changed my mind. And they use creamer from a refillable open top container that routinely gets junk in it.

Last edited by JasmineMama; 04-29-2012 at 03:16 PM.
JasmineMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_mel_rocks View Post
I suggest not going into any restaurant then. Everything is touch multiple times. Bottles are refilled from larger bottles. Please touch their food and then grab a bottle for more condiments after wiping their hands, mouths.
No need for this because I'm going to own what I'm about to type:

I've worked in a restaurant and have currently have a 2.5 year old so I'm voicing my opinion based on experiences with both.

Since the server was right on her from the beginning I'm going to take a guess that there has been an issue with her kid making a mess with the condiments.

I can't control that people will grab a jelly from the bottom or dig around for a flavor but that doesn't mean its right to let my kid take all the packets out and rub them all over the place. Original op made it sound like he takes them all out, not one or two.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
Aingeru
Registered Users

You're children are not monsters. The server is RUDE. Why would they have to throw things out if they were still sealed? Does she think no one else has handled them? Somebody had to touch them to put them on the table, right?

I would talk to the manager about the servers attitude. My son also likes to stack and count jelly packs and I think there's nothing wrong with that, he bothers no one and it keeps him entertained.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
SarahS12
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla

I've worked in a restaurant and have currently have a 2.5 year old so I'm voicing my opinion based on experiences with both.

Since the server was right on her from the beginning I'm going to take a guess that there has been an issue with her kid making a mess with the condiments.

I can't control that people will grab a jelly from the bottom or dig around for a flavor but that doesn't mean its right to let my kid take all the packets out and rub them all over the place. Original op made it sound like he takes them all out, not one or two.
Even if this is the case the waitress still shouldn't have acted and commented as she did. She was rude to them throughout the meal. There are so many better ways this could have been handled that didn't leave the family/customers disappointed with their service and not wanting to return. It was a customer service failure whether or not you believe the child was doing something wrong or not. I would absolutely call the manager.
SarahS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom is a career waitress and has never said anything to me about the jelly packets or sugar packets. I think the waitress was out of line.

I would ask the manager if that is their policy or if she was acting rogue.

If you're eating at a restaurant and are squicked out by the fact that the outside of your sugar packet may have been touched by a toddler - try not to think about the silverware lol
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
psylion
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla

Or maybe there was a problem with another kid entirely and the server was just a rude b****. It is not appropriate for the server to be so rude even if the kids were being monsters, which they weren't. If playing with the jelly keeps the kids at their own table minding their own business give them the darned packets. I personally hate nothing more than kids getting out of their seats and running around the restaurant or leaning over the back of my booth. Anything that keeps the littles from disturbing the other patrons in this way is wonderful IMO.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahS12 View Post
Even if this is the case the waitress still shouldn't have acted and commented as she did. She was rude to them throughout the meal. There are so many better ways this could have been handled that didn't leave the family/customers disappointed with their service and not wanting to return. It was a customer service failure whether or not you believe the child was doing something wrong or not. I would absolutely call the manager.
She has every right to call the manager. I'm curious to hear what mgmt. has to say. They could just do what other places do and not leave those things sitting on the table.

I know I've seen people let their kids leave mounds of packets on the table, some open, some scattered all over the booth.

I know the op sounded sad questioning her own parenting etc. but I have to wonder why would the waitress would risk her own tip and possibly a complaint to management? Especially since op stated that they are regular customers at the diner.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Buxterboo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like the waitress had a stick up her butt. I've worked a few diner gigs and we never threw stuff out unless it was open or dirty. So I have a feeling the waitress was telling you a crock. And even IF they toss them out, the probably cost .50 total. Big deal.