Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #31
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Are my children monsters? :(

Wow, I would definitely be calling management! I would think that if that is their policy, then everything on the table should be thrown out between customers regardless- how would they know if every single person touched the freaking sugar packets? It's outrageous to me, they're kids.

Advertisement

alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Monsters no, but it isn't an appropriate behavior. No one wants everyones hands on things they are going to potentially eat. Yuck. I would never consider allowing my child to do it. We bring cars, leap frog electronics (with the sound taped as they are loud), crayons/books, and lots of other toys to keep him occupied as we feel it is our responsibility not the staffs. I also don't allow him to roam around and he must be in the high chair. If he can't do that, we leave (we've only left twice and both times were no nap over tired and we should not have pushed it and eaten out so it was our fault). I also try but not always bring the plastic table mats and depending on where we go silverware and snacks for before meal if it is going to take a while. I'm probably in the minority too as I am sometimes amazed at how some kids act in public with parents egging them on (not special needs).

...and then there were two.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.

Last edited by Agla; 04-29-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #33
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I'm usually the lone opinion so two is great.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #34
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like this server was being rather rude about a minor offense, but on the other hand I feel her pain. I was a waitress for a while and it isn't just the fact that a child has touched things on the table, but that they often render them so mangled and filthy the next customer would complain bitterly if I DIDN'T throw them out. It is a waste and it is the waitress who has to refill all that stuff at the end of a long shift. Again, I would never have complained about it (it's part of the job) but most parents don't think about it.

I have a friend with a 3 year old and I hate going to restaurants with them because she lets her child treat everything like it's hers to play with. Every sugar packet is opened and poured out somewhere around or on the table. Every bottle of tobasco is dumped into water. Glasses are broken with pepper shakers, straws are stabbed into the seat corners... it just drives me nuts. I don't consider myself a customer, I consider myself a guest. As a guest in someone's home or business we should show respect to the people who are hosting us by not intentionally being wasteful or messy. I think it's my job as a sitter, nanny, or mommy, to provide entertainment.

Again, doesn't sound like your kids were being all that bad, but it sounds like we would have approached the situation differently.

Last edited by Palooka; 04-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #35
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

I probably would have simply said, "my sister already informed me you have to throw all of them away already, so do you think you could bother someone else or get me a new server.."
Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #36
arihillfarm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Now three. :-) My kids might grab at them, but I quickly remind them that they are not for playing and to put them back. We also bring things to keep them occupied. I found a great crayon wallet and Matchbox car wallet on Esty that is a permanent fixture in our diaper bag. I will say though that the waitress' reaction was out of line. On the list of "bad kid behaviors", this one is pretty low on my list, even though I don't allow mine to do it.

-Astrid
WAHM to DD 13, DS 6 and DS 3 and I'm a Magic Maker with Off to Neverland Travel, specializing in Disney! Ask me about how to get the vacation of your dreams (Disney or elsewhere) for the best price and service possible at no extra cost to you. "Like" my agency page on Facebook for the latest travel specials!
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #37
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

We don't let ours "play" with the stuff either. When we sit down I promptly move sugar caddies and the like to the side and under my sling. The jelly caddie I do let them sort, but we don't lick them or anything. Doesn't matter our views on this miniscule parenting issue anyway. Said server was a... explicative.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #38
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Just because I was thinking about it. I do consider sugar packets (though less expensive than jelly) different then Jelly. They can get wet from condensation of sippy cups, regular cups, spilt food etc, and crumbled. If i was going to use a sugar packet, I will say that I'd skip over ones that didn't look good.

Jelly everyone touches. I can't say we don't let our kids play with the above, but in moderation. Like I've given my daughter a sugar packet to shake or taken 3 jellies out for her to build/ count with, but after such we remove the rest to the far end of the table. We bring a variety of things to restaurants to keep them entertained (wooden puzzles, crayons, coloring book, small dolls,netflix, but if as soon as they sit down and eye the sugar and jellies I'll give them a couple to appease them. (now assuming we need jelly or sugar packet we use what the kids played with not new ones. I don't let them put it in their mouths or anything like that.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
This is interesting. I never knew it was considered so rude for my 19month old to play with sugar packets and salt shakers. We don't let her be loud, but didn't realize that all these things were so bad.

Interesting. Will take it all into account.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #40
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I imagine you got a waitress that hates children. I remember during my waitressing days absolutely hating serving children. The majority were poorly behaved. I assumed kids would destroy things on the table. I never was rude to the parents though. I just hoped that the bigger the mess, the bigger the tip I would get.
Huxley is offline   Reply With Quote