Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Petition to Tell Infant Formula Makers to Stop Using Hospitals as Marketing Tools

I looked in the FAQ and Usage sections and didn't see anything about linking petitions, so I am pretty sure this is okay to post here If it's not, tell me where I should have looked so I know in future please!

http://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=10062

Advertisement

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: Petition to Tell Infant Formula Makers to Stop Using Hospitals as Marketing Tools

I guess I never felt like out hospital pushed formula. With dd they gave her a bottle since her blood sugar was low and I was still in recovery and the pedi suggested supplementing when she quit having wet dipes since my milk wasn't in. With ds they asked if I was breastfeedIng and left it at that. I had to ask for formula when my nipples were so sore I couldn't latch. We had to ask both times and with ds they even asked which brand we preferred so no pressure at all. We got a bunch of baby coupons and only one was for formula so I guess everyone has a different experience.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Petition to Tell Infant Formula Makers to Stop Using Hospitals as Marketing Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama View Post
I guess I never felt like out hospital pushed formula. With dd they gave her a bottle since her blood sugar was low and I was still in recovery and the pedi suggested supplementing when she quit having wet dipes since my milk wasn't in. With ds they asked if I was breastfeedIng and left it at that. I had to ask for formula when my nipples were so sore I couldn't latch. We had to ask both times and with ds they even asked which brand we preferred so no pressure at all. We got a bunch of baby coupons and only one was for formula so I guess everyone has a different experience.
You are lucky I went to a breastfeeding supportive hospital, saw the LC, and then was discharged with a big bag of formula. Luckily I knew to get it the hell out of my house ASAP, and did so.

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Im currently in the hospital where i delivered dd4 on sunday. They asked me if i was planning to breastfeed and that was that. There was no formula in the room. We did end up having to supplement feeding with 5ml of formula the first day because no matter how much i breastfed her bloodsugar would stay at critical. We cup fed her twice to get her levels back up and that was the end if it.

I have not felt marketed to at all. Hospitals need formula available for when patients can't or wont breastfeed . If formula companies are going to give free samples for marketing purposes i am fine with that. It seems to me that hospitals are really encouraging bf and only pulling out formula when a woman asks or it is medically necessary.

I was also visited by a bf consultant
making sure i was bfing right and to offer support. I think hospitals are really stepping up on the bf front and having formula with marketing materials from formula company isn't going to take away from that.

Eta to add i got a little take home bag with nursing pads, a hand held bf pump, coupons for storage bags and nipple cream. There is a coupon for two types of formula also but no more than what the lanolin and other companies did by putting their coupons in the bag.

Last edited by ulawolf; 05-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

You ladies are lucky. And sadly, your hospitals are in the minority. Formula companies are still dominating a lot of hospitals.

Perhaps those who aren't signing the petition could write to their own hospitals and THANK them for their breastfeeding support? It certainly is not like that on the majority of hospitals. The 'baby friendly' hospital initiative changed a lot of hospitals but nearly what it should!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
Formerly: lilylouwho
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf
Im currently in the hospital where i delivered dd4 on sunday. They asked me if i was planning to breastfeed and that was that. There was no formula in the room. We did end up having to supplement feeding with 5ml of formula the first day because no matter how much i breastfed her bloodsugar would stay at critical. We cup fed her twice to get her levels back up and that was the end if it.

I have not felt marketed to at all. Hospitals need formula available for when patients can't or wont breastfeed . If formula companies are going to give free samples for marketing purposes i am fine with that. It seems to me that hospitals are really encouraging bf and only pulling out formula when a woman asks or it is medically necessary.

I was also visited by a bf consultant
making sure i was bfing right and to offer support. I think hospitals are really stepping up on the bf front and having formula with marketing materials from formula company isn't going to take away from that.

Eta to add i got a little take home bag with nursing pads, a hand held bf pump, coupons for storage bags and nipple cream. There is a coupon for two types of formula also but no more than what the lanolin and other companies did by putting their coupons in the bag.
That's how I wish all hospitals would act. You need to find a happy medium rather than swaying wildly to one side or the other

It was obvious that I needed to supplement with my second baby and the hospital wouldn't hear of it since I put "breastfeeding" down on a form when I was admitted. They didn't care about what was best for the baby at all, even though they said that was their main concern. They were way beyond activists and failed to see that I had no supply and she just plain needed to eat. It was awful.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My hospital asked if I was BFing, and never once offered my formula or even mentioned bottle feeding. They did encourage me to ask questions and to see an LC before I left, which I thought was nice, so I personally don't get where this petition is coming from. They never even gave my NICU baby formula, or even suggested it, when I was EPing.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp. My hossy never pushed formula. In fact, I got the vibe that that was the preferred method of feeding. I told them i was bf'ing and they didnt bother me. They would come in and say "hows bf'ing going" and i was offered help by the LC staff. I thought they leaned wayyy more toward pro-bfing. Im sure some hospitals dont but tbh, im glad both options are available and i wouldnt want to feel guilty for either choice.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
You ladies are lucky. And sadly, your hospitals are in the minority. Formula companies are still dominating a lot of hospitals.

Perhaps those who aren't signing the petition could write to their own hospitals and THANK them for their breastfeeding support? It certainly is not like that on the majority of hospitals. The 'baby friendly' hospital initiative changed a lot of hospitals but nearly what it should!
I agree. I think the local norms have a lot to do with it. I'm in an area where I know (i use that word loosely) one mom other than my own who BF past 6 months. So naturally our hospital had lots of samples.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

My hospital offered me two choices, a breastfeeding go home goodie bag or a formula go home goodie bag. They didn't pressure either way and were VERY helpful on the LC front.
Oh and even though I had a c-section, they allowed my daughter to latch on immediately after birth.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote