Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Petition to Tell Infant Formula Makers to Stop Using Hospitals as Marketing Tools

Our local hospital doesn't have a lactatin consultant. The nurses are also poorly educated in breastfeeding.While cleaning a room(I was housekeeping) I over heard a comment about a first time mama having trouble breastfeeding. Instead of incouraging her they were rather rudely saying she needed to just give the baby formula because baby would cry when not breastfeeding. Our sister hospital is the one where I had my 2nd child. I told them I was having trouble with nursing my baby. He didn't want to latch on. They told me as long as he would latch on for a few minutes every 4 hours he was doing just fine. Although improvements are being made many more are needed.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am with keen! If you had a good bfing experience I bet your hospital would love to hear a word of thanks.

I had formula pushed on me with ds's pregnancy and birth. By the end i had six free samples (donated them to a church so I guess they still helped someone). In the hospital ds was crying (he cried sooo much those first weeks) so the nurse brought some in "just in case". He wasnt hungry, he was just a baby.

With my miscarried baby, I got two free samples and two bottles on my very first OB appt. I had to ask if they even offered a bfing class (he didnt ask if i had nursed before) and the OB shrugged and said, "yeah, if you really want to go to one".
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: Petition to Tell Infant Formula Makers to Stop Using Hospitals as Marketing Tools

We were offered a breastfeeding bag or formula bag. Even the Bfing bag had formula in it.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
My hospital asked if I was BFing, and never once offered my formula or even mentioned bottle feeding. They did encourage me to ask questions and to see an LC before I left, which I thought was nice, so I personally don't get where this petition is coming from. They never even gave my NICU baby formula, or even suggested it, when I was EPing.
Same here when I had my baby, when i wanted to give up on bf due to having issues, they encouraged me to keep trying and brought a LC to my room to help me. They didn't want me to use formula at all. The nurses kept checking on me and the baby to make sure she was latched on right and kept bringing me nipple cream too. They don't give a formula diaper bag here anymore I guess, I didn't get one, I did get a bag for first 5 that had information inside.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
We were offered a breastfeeding bag or formula bag. Even the Bfing bag had formula in it.
Yeah, that is what I got. The "breastfeeding" bag that had some info on breastfeeding and 2 big formula cans inside.

Definitely write your L&D if you had a great breastfeeding support while there, I am sure it would reinforce that what they are doing is appreciated!!

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

With my first I had insurance through my employer and they gave me a bag, a small cooler bag, sample premade bottles, cans of formula, a diaper bag with formula lit even thought it was the breastfeeding bag, and nipple cream.

With my second I had state insurance and I got a small bag with one small can in it and no BF info at all. Same hospital, 15 months later. I have to wonder...
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I had my oldest at a big old fashioned catholic hospital, old hospital. They kept asking if I wanted to try BFing, over and over and over. I had 100% NO interest in it, but they kept pushing it and pushing it. It was difficult to even get them to give me some formula the first day "Are you SURE you don't want to try it?" In the end, I DID go home with a free diaper bag that had a can of powdered formula in it (and I dunno what else, that was 16 yrs ago now.)

The hospital I had DD2 and DD3 at, and will be having this one at, is a new one, probably only 6 yrs old. They have 3 IBCLCs on staff, and host a free BF support group once a week, staffed by one to two of the IBCLCs. Obviously a very pro BF hospital. I honestly have never seen nor heard of formula in the maternity ward at all, though I haven't looked for it. No one ever asked, no one ever pushed, BFing was just pretty much assumed.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Dd was born in a hospital because she was a preemie. Within minutes for her being born, while
I still hadn't even delivered the placenta, she was whisked away to have her "lungs checked" because of her being early. Two hours later they delivered our child back to us, proudly announcing she drank 10ml of formula. I made it VERY VERY clear that I was breastfeeding. The head pediatrician later came to "apologize" for the actions of the nursing staff. Didn't change the fact that her first food was formula and her first two hours of life were spent away from me.
When I got home 4 days later, there was 4 cans of similac waiting in my mailbox. I never requested any formula or information regarding it. I wonder how they got my address....
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFoundFaith View Post
My hospital offered me two choices, a breastfeeding go home goodie bag or a formula go home goodie bag. They didn't pressure either way and were VERY helpful on the LC front.
Oh and even though I had a c-section, they allowed my daughter to latch on immediately after birth.
to the bolded: same here @ my hospital & they support u w/ what ever choice u make. the dont pressuer ff mom to bf or the other way around. its funny when your getting discharged here they ask u "r u ff or bf? then they run to get u a bag, ask u again to make sure they got u the right bag & chek the tag on it" lol

the breastfeeding bags dont have aney info on ff or any samples in it unless u ask for some formula to go home w/. then they will. they also have info on LC. the formula bags r the bags that come w/ all the formula samples & all that. u also get a small info book on bf just in case u change your mind & decided to try it w/ LC #'s to call. just in case

Last edited by moms5angels; 05-02-2012 at 09:52 PM.
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #20
greengranny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The hospital where dd delivered dgs was so bf supportive they didn't even offer pacifiers in the hospital! If you wanted your baby to have one, you had to bring it from home, and they discouraged the practice.

Here in Louisiana they'll stick pacifiers, sugar water bottles and formula in your baby's mouth before you can bat an eye. The variations among the nurses' experience with breastfeeding is ridiculous. There is no good, consistent bf support, and plenty of formula temptation going on. You have to really know what you're doing and be dedicated to it.

I signed the petition. These formula companies are out of control. What they do here is bad enough, but the way they ship the "free" formula to the third world countries and get those moms hooked on using it is horrible! Once the formula isn't free anymore, all the family's food allowances go toward formula instead of food for the whole family. To save money, the formula gets watered down with horrible water, babies get sick and die, etc. That mom could've established a milk supply and provided that infant with FREE, HEALTHY, PERFECT food, but the formula companies ruin that for many. It is despicable!
Stacey, wife to Steve, Mom to 26yod, 24yod, 22yod, 20yos, Granny to 4 and #5 due 1/16
Step-mom to 28yoss & step-granny to 5, Caretaker of 2 dogs, 5 cats + Kool & the Gang (my roo and his "chicks")
Christian SAHM/Granny & Disney travel planner - hbirthed, b-fed, cd'd, co-slept, sel/delay vax, didn't circ

Last edited by greengranny; 05-02-2012 at 11:27 PM.
greengranny is offline   Reply With Quote