Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Petition to Tell Infant Formula Makers to Stop Using Hospitals as Marketing Tools

I read alot of horror stories about bf before delivering my first last Aug, so I went in prepared. I also knew the hospital I was delivering was advertised as "baby friendly", their tour and free baby preparation class was as well. The nurse who did the personal tour could not help but laugh when I told her that I would like to bf for 1 year or more. She explained that they don't always see people like me.

When I delivered, they put baby on my chest right away and the nurse helped me nurse him within the golden hour. We were there over 2 days (baby roomed in with me and dad). I started having trouble nursing after the initial 6-8 hours and each time the lactation consultant was not available. On checkout day, I kept asking to see an LC and eventually a "more experienced" nurse came in. She basically gave me a lecture about trying harder and not being so soft and easily defeated. That was totally not what I expected and I meekly followed her instructions.

Eventually, right before we had to leave the LC came in. She was wonderful. Gentle, soft-spoken, listened to me, explained what she thought was happening, recommended next steps. She managed to get me a hospital-grade pump rental for a month and accessories (covered by my insurance) before I checked out.

The hospital had a free bf clinic that was by appointment which you could call to make on your own. I went in 3 times over the next 3 weeks. I had to come in with hungry baby, they watched me bf and took baby's weight before and after. Sometimes, there were more than 5 couples in there bfing! The LC there was another scary nurse! During my first appointment, I asked her if I was making any milk (as baby did not seem to be able to drink any). She promptly grabbed my engorged breast and squirted my milk. DH howled with laughter but I did not find it funny as it hurt! We joke about the Breastaurant now (where newborns come to eat).

Advertisement