Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #61
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you let your 3yo SON....

Well, I don't have any boys, and I'm not the popular opinion here, but no I wouldn't. I really don't like earrings on boys, I'm sorry. I guess I am just a little more traditional. I also wouldn't let any boys of mine go out in dresses, hairbows, etc. Long hair I don't mind, but that's because of my heritage. Maybe if I had a boy and he was a little older, maybe I would consider it, but a three year old who already gets called a girl? I just wouldn't. However, if you don't mind boys and ear piercings and your dds got them done young, then in your case I'd go for it. Are you doing both ears or just one? If you get both done, it really might exacerbate the looking like a girl issue.

Just a funny story. My brother's name is Aaron. When he was young he had long curly hair (sort of a mullet), and big blue eyes with long eyelashes. I was a tomboy and had short hair, a spike, and a tail. My nickname was Tan (rhymes with Ron). So naturally, people assumed my brother was a girl, especially because of his gender neutral name, and thought I was a boy since they all thought my mom was calling me Tom. Yeah, it drove me nuts. Now I am the opposite. As girly as they come!

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #62
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DS can get his ears pierced when he is older. In your situation I would do it now.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #63
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Nope. I would not allow it.

However, my family's situation is different than yours. We knew from the time our boys were very young that we would be putting them in private school and that there may well (and actually are) rules about piercings, etc. at that school. DH has 3 holes in his ear, but only wears 1 earring about 1-2x a year. At 11 and 8, neither of my boys have expressed any desire, but they also have very little exposure to men or boys with piercings.

I wouldn't allow any child to get a piercing at that age. I also believe that it is much more likely for a little boy to eventually regret it, so I would discourage it in my sons.

I also don't believe that just because something is okay for one family member means it has to be okay for every family member. I am a "life's not fair, get over it" mother. Each of my children is an individual and some are ready for privileges and responsibilities at a younger age than their siblings. I won't be pigeonholed into having to let one do what we allowed another to do. So, personally, I don't feel that you have to let him simple because his sisters have them.

Last edited by z2akids; 05-02-2012 at 07:23 AM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #64
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't because I think piercing children's ears that young is wrong.
but I have a huge problem with the way you've posed the question- if you have no problem piercing a 9 month old's ears why is it a problem for a 3 year old who is asking for it? Because he happens to have a penis? =/
forced gender roles = so not cool
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #65
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't, boy or girl. I don't think I would let my boy pierce his ears at 5-6 though, and I would probably let my (hypothetical) girl. I just think earrings on boys look SO tacky
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #66
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In your situation, yes, I would. In my house, babies don't get their ears pierced, because they're babies. If I had let my daughter, though, I would let my son.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #67
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope. I would if he were eight or nine MAAAYBE. But, not at three.

At three, I still get to choose things like tattoos or pierced ears. I let my daughter do hers in 2nd grade, but I made sure she REALLY wanted them...not just because a few of her friends had them.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #68
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecheatham View Post
I wouldn't because I think piercing children's ears that young is wrong.
but I have a huge problem with the way you've posed the question- if you have no problem piercing a 9 month old's ears why is it a problem for a 3 year old who is asking for it? Because he happens to have a penis? =/
forced gender roles = so not cool
I happen to agree and as I stated I let him go out in public wearing whatever he wants, which on multiple occassions has included a headband. He has 2 sisters and he likes to be like them. He has his very own baby doll and doll stroller that he loves. I actually questioned whether or not to pierce YDD's ears. We did ODD because well that is what everyone in my family does. All the girls have their ears pierced as infants. In fact I literally had NOT CLUE it was even controversial until I joined DS. That got me thinking and I had a lot of back and forth on whether or not to do YDD's. The reason I did not pierce/have not pierced DS's ears does happen to be because he is a boy, yes, but I don't have a problem with him getting his ears pierced AT ALL! I happen to LOVE piercings quite frankly. Both DH and I have our ears pierced and our septum pierced and I have also had my lip and my nose pierced and will likely get them done again at some point (grew back BOO). I do NOT force gender roles in my home and I never will. My mom takes the girls to get their ears pierced (she does for all the girl grand children) and she didn't even consider taking DS. I really don't know why I even felt conflicted, partially I think because I feel at three he is more likely to mess with them, when my girls got them done they didn't even notice the ear rings were there so keeping them clean and such was easy peasy, also because it is less socially acceptable for a boy to have ear rings I guess I just figured I would wait until he asked, which he is now doing, but I just worry at 3 that he will mess around with them. I did pose the question in a gender way because I have found myself in a situation where I have done something for my children of one gender that I have not done for my child of another gender, that doesn't mean I support or practice forced gender roles. Hopefully all of that made sense!

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #69
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NO way, I hate earrings on males, and its okay if that makes me "not cool"

Last edited by KB'sMama1031; 05-02-2012 at 09:13 AM.
KB'sMama1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #70
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

Yes. But probably just the one ear. My step son had his pierced by 4 because my husband has his pierced. Although my husband has his eyebrow pierced, but that's a different story