Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
glupton
Registered Users
seller

? about bar soap

We are switching to bar soaps at our sinks. Can anybody recommend some good and safe ones?

Also, I was thinking about doing some soap-making "crafts" with the kids. Is this soap safe? http://www.brambleberry.com/Organic-Melt-Pour-Base-2-lbs-unwrapped-P4382.aspx I don't want to make "real" soap from scratch, but thought this might be a good alternative for us if the ingredients were okay.

Thoughts??

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
karw29
Registered Users
seller

So glad to hear you're making the switch! I think any handmade soap is good, just check the ingredients. Veggie oil based, and I prefer no artificial fragrances, only essential oils. Brambleberry makes great products, their melt and pour base is good. You can't go quite as natural with melt and pour, but its still better than most liquid soaps, imo.
karw29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ? about bar soap

The only issue I have with melt and pour is they do have to add chems in it to be able to be melted over and over again. I know propylene glycol is used some times. That's is antifreeze. We use a liquid soap that I made from scratch at our sinks. I would recommend hand made bars like on etsy or some on here or at the health food store. I agree I would stay away from the fake scents and stick with EO's.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
The only issue I have with melt and pour is they do have to add chems in it to be able to be melted over and over again. I know propylene glycol is used some times. That's is antifreeze. We use a liquid soap that I made from scratch at our sinks. I would recommend hand made bars like on etsy or some on here or at the health food store. I agree I would stay away from the fake scents and stick with EO's.
I knew that about melt and pours in general, but this one is organic. I had never seen an organic version before so I was thinking it wouldn't have the bad chemicals added to it...????

We had been using Dr. Bronner's at the sinks, but it was too messy (would stain the walls if the kids squirted too hard and it clogged up our dispensers too often). I have some handmade soap right now, but am not very happy with it...
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

LuSa makes fantastic bar soaps. There are several scent options and you really can't go wrong. Some scrubby-ish, some not. Tofani is my favorite!
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've tried Brambleberry's organic melt and pour. It's as safe as any soap can get. Here are the ingredients:
Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Palm Oil, Glycerin (kosher, of vegetable origin), Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide (saponifying agent), Sorbitol (moisturizer), Sorbitan oleate (emulsifier), Soy bean protein (conditioner)

I like Brambleberry's melt and pour (m&p), but the organic m&p sweats very easily. Don't keep it in plastic bag after you make it. If you do, store it in the freezer to keep it hard. Also, like any m&p gycerin soap, use a soap dish that drains. Don't let this soap sit in water, because it will get too soft.

The fragrance and the dye that you use is just as important as the ingredients to melt and pour base. I use essential oils like peppermint and lavendar. I don't think Brambleberry sells an organic essential oil. Color dyes have the worst toxic stuff. I only add colorant to the soaps I give aways as gifts. The soap I use at home is just white. I haven't tried anything natural yet, but you can use teas, flowers, and seeds as a colorant. I'm gonna try annatto seeds one of these days.

I use diluted Dr. Bronner's soap in a foaming dispenser. I didn't have luck with Dr. Bronner's in a regular dispenser. I'm not so sure you'll like m&p soaps as a hand soap. It's messy too.

Last edited by Shimpie; 05-01-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried diluting the Dr Bronners into a foaming hand soap dispenser? We haven't had any clogging issues or mess issues. My kids play with the pumps all the time and the only thing that happens is foam gets on the sink.
I use about 1 part Dr Bronners to 5 parts water in a foaming pump.

Making you own soap is awesome too, but my personal opinion is that bar soaps always end up looking really gross. My DH works with grease so it will stain the bar black, and DS always plays in the mud and that stains the bar reddish-brown. It just looks nasty sitting at the sink after only a couple hand washes!